DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Top Sportsman/Top Dragster
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Sportsman/Top Dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd have to imagine that the (I want to say 3.69 in the 1/8) limit in PDRA is much more difficult to achieve than 6.10 1/4 mile limit in NHRA.

Not to mention how much easier it is on parts, more money, and getting to be a pretty major part of the show. I think spending TS and TD money, and then being a second class citizen in NHRA has ran people off.

Obviously, PDRA exists to showcase pro mods, but there are quite a few TS cars in the elite field that could run with the Pro Mod boys. I'm sure they wouldn't make the rules package/weight, but the ET keeps fans in the stands, and basically shows people bracket racing pro mods.

Makes sense to me why people flock there vs NHRA.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
6.10 was the reason for my decision to stop chasing NHRA.
I didn't build what I built to SLOW DOWN.
I'm putting a new combo together (faster I hope) and will hit a few PDRA races and some very close to home NHRA races (lifting of course), with some eighth mile high dollar races thrown in just for fun.

As was stated, what's not to like with PDRA, $4000 to win, less days off from work, travel home on Sunday, not having to drive thru the night to get to work 1st thing Monday morning (weather permitting).

Holytown, you are correct. I would run (old combo) low 4.0's to high 3.90's in the eighth running 6.0's to high 5's in the quarter.

I do this for fun.
If I go rounds that's a bonus.
Big Grin

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you look at the big buck races throughout the country there is almost no names i see that used to run nhra td/ts that switched over to high dollar racing.
If you look at pdra there is a very small handfull of nhra guys that are exclusive to pdra but a large number of ex ihra racers.
I think the big stigma of the nhra stuff was when it did get real fast,all the medium dragsters/doorcars threw in the towel because they couldnt qualify.That pushed them towards the pdra format which was more acomodating to them.Noone wants to drive 10 hours to not get in and then just go home.Now a 6.90 get you in to almost all nhra races.
I have no problem with pdra except the last one i went to with a 3.85 i got bumped out of the elite 16

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
4.40 / 4.70 index racing pays far far more than any hra race. a ts car can fill the calender with them and pdra and get treated like royalty.....car counts are suffering big time at nhra ts in the southeast. time wise a pdra race will involve close to the same time away as any other.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
4.40 / 4.70 index racing pays far far more than any hra race. a ts car can fill the calender with them and pdra and get treated like royalty.....car counts are suffering big time at nhra ts in the southeast.

Agreed.

Also, for those who say NHRA will never die. Sears Roebuck used to be the worlds largest retailer. At its peak Sears alone accounted for 1% of the entire US economy. Where is it now?

I'm sure NHRA will always exist in some format, but unless they make some changes, it won't be on a large scale.

People who no nothing about racing are interested in fast door car racing. Hence the popularity of Street Outlaws.

Nhra needs to wise up and put something in front of the people they can conceivably afford to own. Such as TS and TD.

I know these cars are still very expensive, but at least they look like real cars most of the time. Who looks at a fuel car and says one day that's going to be me, realistically? It's a nice dream for a kid, but in reality, they can own a TS or TD one day.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I always have thought the time commitment for the NHRA races may hurt their car counts. Working stiffs don't want to travel, and spend 3+ days at a regular race for them. Maybe it isn't a big deal for some. But that would be a factor for me. I have other things in life needing my time too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
If you look at the big buck races throughout the country there is almost no names i see that used to run nhra td/ts that switched over to high dollar racing.
If you look at pdra there is a very small handfull of nhra guys that are exclusive to pdra but a large number of ex ihra racers.
I think the big stigma of the nhra stuff was when it did get real fast,all the medium dragsters/doorcars threw in the towel because they couldnt qualify.That pushed them towards the pdra format which was more acomodating to them.Noone wants to drive 10 hours to not get in and then just go home.Now a 6.90 get you in to almost all nhra races.
I have no problem with pdra except the last one i went to with a 3.85 i got bumped out of the elite 16

It's called "Elite" for a reason...... Laughing Hard

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
I'd have to imagine that the (I want to say 3.69 in the 1/8) limit in PDRA is much more difficult to achieve than 6.10 1/4 mile limit in NHRA.

Not to mention how much easier it is on parts, more money, and getting to be a pretty major part of the show. I think spending TS and TD money, and then being a second class citizen in NHRA has ran people off.

Obviously, PDRA exists to showcase pro mods, but there are quite a few TS cars in the elite field that could run with the Pro Mod boys. I'm sure they wouldn't make the rules package/weight, but the ET keeps fans in the stands, and basically shows people bracket racing pro mods.

Makes sense to me why people flock there vs NHRA.

FWIW you can dial as quick as 3.65 at the PDRA races.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:

It's called "Elite" for a reason...... Laughing Hard

Mikey = "Always with those negative waves" Big Grin

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think spending TS and TD money, and then being a second class citizen in NHRA has ran people off.

Please tell us about your first hand experience “being a second class citizen in NHRA” whatever that means.

I’ve have been racing the NHRA LODRS since 2017, now our 6th season and never once have we felt that way. First the divisionals are all about the sportsman racer. Second the National events are all about the PROFESSIONAL racers who compete in the Camping World Series, sportsman racers are giving an opportunity to compete at these events with the required grade points, for a National event Wally and increased purse above the divisional payouts but make no mistake about it, these events are about showcasing the Pros and their sponsors. These National events are entertainment for the live audience and tv viewers. Nonetheless, when my son won his first National event he was treated like a Pro from the NHRA, the fans and Fox TV, it was an experience we will never forget and we will continue to try to experience that again.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/reading-sc

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
I think spending TS and TD money, and then being a second class citizen in NHRA has ran people off.

Please tell us about your first hand experience “being a second class citizen in NHRA” whatever that means.

I’ve have been racing the NHRA LODRS since 2017, now our 6th season and never once have we felt that way. First the divisionals are all about the sportsman racer. Second the National events are all about the PROFESSIONAL racers who compete in the Camping World Series, sportsman racers are giving an opportunity to compete at these events with the required grade points, for a National event Wally and increased purse above the divisional payouts but make no mistake about it, these events are about showcasing the Pros and their sponsors. These National events are entertainment for the live audience and tv viewers. Nonetheless, when my son won his first National event he was treated like a Pro from the NHRA, the fans and Fox TV, it was an experience we will never forget and we will continue to try to experience that again.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/reading-sc

Ed

I agree with you 100%, many don't see the big picture and for those that do, there is no gun to their heads making them to attend.

Anyone attending a national event can easily see the stands fill up just before the fuel cars run and then pretty much empty out after they are done. Many fans love to watch the between round maintenance work for these cars.

These races are no different than any other, pick your poison! I will add though that I have never be to a race where the promoter bought well over 600 cases of beer for all attending after racing Saturday night,,, other than PDRA at VMP!

Let's face it, fuel prices are going to kill these deals, you can't hide from that. Take a simple 750 mile round trip to a race, with diesel at 7 bucks a gallon, that's a 700$ bill plus tolls!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak for anyone else but our MH will be rolling in 9 days heading to Cecil and all the divisionals that follow as well the 3 National events we plan to attend, including Indy and I’m certain fuel prices aren’t going to stop the hardcore class racers like us.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yep, I agree also Al.

Don't forget the $330 per driver to get in.
Also don't forget if you don't get a full field they reduce the payouts significantly so you won't even be close to breaking even if you win.

Only 10 TD's and 27 Super Comp's.

Realistically it looks like they could just run eliminations for EVERYBODY, Pros included on Sunday.
Saturday could be Qualifying only for everyone.

Just my 2 cents.
Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Yep, I agree also Al.

Also don't forget if you don't get a full field they reduce the payouts significantly so you won't even be close to breaking even if you win.

Realistically it looks like they could just run eliminations for EVERYBODY, Pros included on Sunday.
Saturday could be Qualifying only for everyone.

Just my 2 cents.
Big Grin

I thought the field was closed to withdraw or enter on Monday.
Now there are only 10 Top Dragsters.
At this rate,somebody might get a bye run for the win by Sunday.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Frank, be honest, you’ve had a hardon for the NHRA for a long time and it only got worse since they implemented the 6.10 cutoff. You’re a go fast, only interested in rotating the earth, not win lights which the many bracket racers in TD are.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
when the division director comes to your trailer and tells you they are cutting the purse and not paying in the semis it gets real interesting.....btdt

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Yep, I agree also Al.

Big Grin

i did not know the purse was cut at a national if a class is not full. can someone educate me on this?

ep-people do what they enjoy. we all race because we hate our money anyway.

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve stated it before and I state it again, no one competing in the NHRA LODRS is there for the $, they are there for the Wally and the NHRA knows that.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yes Ed, you're kinda right.

I don't really have a hard on for them just not my cup of tea anymore especially with them slowing down of the class.
But I do have other options and will/do explore those.

I do commend the guys that have the dedication to chase the divisionals and nationals. I did it, it's not easy. If there was a chance of rain we were still rolling, 16 hour ride, drive thru the night. If you wanted it you did it.

The biggest thing I miss is all the racers/friends, that's why you may see me at some of the local Opens or Divisionals (maybe even with my car lifting of course).

My point about the $$$ is that at basically a dollar a mile (for rig like yours or mine) and with the reduced payouts, no one better even think about breaking even. That's not what drove me to do it and still doesn't.
You can't think you are going to win every race when you have a car like mine and I'm fine with that.
I just LOVE FAST bracket racing.

I'm sure you do it because you like it and you and your son can build memories (and Wally's).
That's great.

Now if you have a hook up for connecting rods let me know. I ordered them last August. Mad

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Frank, very very few break even competing in the LODRS. I know full well I'm spending $ to create memories with my son and buying Wallys when we win.

Whose rods and what size do you need?