New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common Sense
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"There was a post on Facebook some time back which made a whole lot of sense to me. It explained that when a man’s son received his state driver’s license, the man gave the son a rather old car. Before he gave it to him, he instructed the son to take it to a used car dealer and see how much they’d give him for it."

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/common-sense/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks John, that was a good and well-timed article.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
Nice picture of Brocks Vega.

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
"The father explained the moral of the story to his son, "I wanted you to know that the right place values you the right way. If you are not valued, do not be angry, it means that you are in the wrong place. Those who know your value are those who appreciate you, and never stay in a place where no one sees your value."

I will admit that this hit home. Recently I left a job of 28 1/2 years because of exactly that. I felt like I was not appreciated, never ever saw the boss (although I knew where he was at most times), he never said hey thanks for your hard work, not at thanksgiving not at Christmas, never. I was a number, and nothing more. One day I went in as usual and said to myself, "well another day in paradise"--and after about 15 minutes, I walked into the managers office and said you have two weeks to find my replacement, after that you're gonna have to work without me. I am leaving.

You'd have thought that their world was going to end.

The day after I left (no kidding) I get a call from a place across town, who I had applied at many years before. The man on the other line said if you ever get tired of doing what you do, come see me. So I did. And here I am, happier than I have ever been in the first ~30 years of my working career, 65% better pay to boot. Place is clean, well kept, much more professional, guys I work with are super good folks and not dope heads, and the owners of the tiny business are down to earth and VERY appreciative of our work. I actually work quite a bit of free OT, just because it's FUN. Working currently on the boss's International Scout, I like that kind of stuff even though it is at work, and it IS work, I don't take any pay for it.

--if you feel valued, you are much more likely to be a productive person.

If not, it wears on you, mentally AND physically. I felt horrible at the last job, mentally I couldn't care any less about anything else knowing that I had to deal with that jerk and the coworkers in a few more hours after I get home. It is not healthy. If you feel kinda like that, do something about it.

Chasracer hit the nail on the head "well-timed".

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Really great story and good for you having the courage to quit your job!!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mavman:
"The father explained the moral of the story to his son, "I wanted you to know that the right place values you the right way. If you are not valued, do not be angry, it means that you are in the wrong place. Those who know your value are those who appreciate you, and never stay in a place where no one sees your value."

I will admit that this hit home. Recently I left a job of 28 1/2 years because of exactly that. I felt like I was not appreciated, never ever saw the boss (although I knew where he was at most times), he never said hey thanks for your hard work, not at thanksgiving not at Christmas, never. I was a number, and nothing more. One day I went in as usual and said to myself, "well another day in paradise"--and after about 15 minutes, I walked into the managers office and said you have two weeks to find my replacement, after that you're gonna have to work without me. I am leaving.

You'd have thought that their world was going to end.

The day after I left (no kidding) I get a call from a place across town, who I had applied at many years before. The man on the other line said if you ever get tired of doing what you do, come see me. So I did. And here I am, happier than I have ever been in the first ~30 years of my working career, 65% better pay to boot. Place is clean, well kept, much more professional, guys I work with are super good folks and not dope heads, and the owners of the tiny business are down to earth and VERY appreciative of our work. I actually work quite a bit of free OT, just because it's FUN. Working currently on the boss's International Scout, I like that kind of stuff even though it is at work, and it IS work, I don't take any pay for it.

--if you feel valued, you are much more likely to be a productive person.

If not, it wears on you, mentally AND physically. I felt horrible at the last job, mentally I couldn't care any less about anything else knowing that I had to deal with that jerk and the coworkers in a few more hours after I get home. It is not healthy. If you feel kinda like that, do something about it.

Chasracer hit the nail on the head "well-timed".

I like this story better than "COMMON SENSE' , but both are a good read....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post