DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Will NHRA Ever Revert Back to Paying the Pros?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will NHRA Ever Revert Back to Paying the Pros?
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
Shawn Langdon pointed out this past weekend that NHRA National Events have been selling out and the Pro Teams are still not being paid in full like pre pandemic.

Said the Teams agreed due to no fans during the shut down.

I don't know all the details, but interesting post, will be interesting to see the timeline on this as it moves forward.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The fuel teams are down 10% from the pre-pandemic purse. $45k to win. Top 10 fuel teams budget $125,000 per race. So if they win they only lose $100,000. Thank God for sponsors!

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
The fuel teams are down 10% from the pre-pandemic purse. $45k to win. Top 10 fuel teams budget $125,000 per race. So if they win they only lose $100,000. Thank God for sponsors!

And what about prostock? They’ve been getting screwed by NHRA for a few years now.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Not too much concerned over a Pro team getting paid .... Look at the dismal sportsman payout since forever

Posts: 1239 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
At the risk of parroting a fellow DRR contributor...

There are no victims at NHRA events, only volunteers. They knew the purse before they loaded up and left the shop.

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Slyfox, you are right, sportsman as well. I'm not racing NHRA for the money. I enjoy the camaraderie and competition. Heck, if I won another National Event it might not even get me up to broke.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Overall there is no shortage of entries at NHRA events, both divisional and National. Indy had 800+ entries. I prefer to fast bracket race 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile is just over with too quick for me, NHRA Top Dragster is my only option

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
This^^^

There’s no reason to, NHRA professional racing isn’t about money? At least not how much it pays to win!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Also wonder how long the stands will be packed when there aren't full fields in the nitro classes. That's what the casual fan is into, the full on freak show that is Top Fuel and Funny Car.

I like them too, but I appreciate all the classes, and like to get there early to see as much as I can. I feel like I get good value for my ticket purchase.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
At this point NHRA is simply trying to produce a product that they and the teams can sell to sponsors.
Period.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Once purse cuts are made and accepted, it becomes the "new normal" .....

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
In a word; NO

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Should take note of Discovery, push the cars and teams forward not themselves. Pro stock is ruined..in my eyes. Haven’t caught ET or mph of good carbs.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, this rumor regarding future purses, etc. was posted today on Comp. Plus : http://www.competitionplus.com...the-2022-nhra-purses.........let's hope it comes to be!

Posts: 40 | Location: East TN | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by consistent spin:
Coincidentally, this rumor regarding future purses, etc. was posted today on Comp. Plus : http://www.competitionplus.com...the-2022-nhra-purses.........let's hope it comes to be!

Will the entry’s increase too,
? insurance, ? Safety regs?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:
Originally posted by consistent spin:

Will the entry’s increase too,
? insurance, ? Safety regs?

How much are entry fees and insurance costing you now?

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sonoma Nats Stock was $340.
Car/driver /pit vehicle/ plus one restricted pass. I’m looking to makes sure.

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
US Nats was $260 entry and $120 for "insurance" so a total of $380 per car at around 700 sportsman cars = $$$$$$

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And it cost a lot of $$$$$$ for the NHRA to put on a National event.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
US Nats was $260 entry and $120 for "insurance" so a total of $380 per car at around 700 sportsman cars = $$$$$$

But the topic is PRO class payouts, Sportsman racers are always victims with a choice .

Do you think anyone at NHRA cares if a Super Gas racer attends?

Where you gonna race your Top Fuel car if not with NHRA???

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post