DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    MT or Hoosier for small tire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MT or Hoosier for small tire
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Working on some changes on my car for 2023 but want to talk about my slick for right now. ~3200 pound door car with me in it. 540" BBC, glide with a brake. Currently running a Hoosier 28x10-15 tire and have seen a little more wheel speed at the hit than I'd like which has created some inconsistency in ET.

This tire is not a stiff wall tire so I'm wondering if I'm not just overpowering the tire a bit - wrong tire for my application?

I see Hoosier makes a stiff wall tire in 29.5x10.5 and obviously MT makes the same.

So a couple questions for the collective. First, I assume most if not all will recommend a change to a stiff wall tire? Secondly, any advantage to the 29.5" tire over the 28" tire? Lastly, what are the preferences for a standard bracket tire, MT or Hoosier? I've been unimpressed with this Hoosier tire, but that might be my fault on incorrect tire construction more than a tire problem.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes to the stiff sidewalk. That said, regardless of what brand you chose, you should be running. 30” with this car/combo.

Hoosier for the WIN!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSRacing:
Working on some changes on my car for 2023 but want to talk about my slick for right now. ~3200 pound door car with me in it. 540" BBC, glide with a brake. Currently running a Hoosier 28x10-15 tire and have seen a little more wheel speed at the hit than I'd like which has created some inconsistency in ET.

This tire is not a stiff wall tire so I'm wondering if I'm not just overpowering the tire a bit - wrong tire for my application?

I see Hoosier makes a stiff wall tire in 29.5x10.5 and obviously MT makes the same.

So a couple questions for the collective. First, I assume most if not all will recommend a change to a stiff wall tire? Secondly, any advantage to the 29.5" tire over the 28" tire? Lastly, what are the preferences for a standard bracket tire, MT or Hoosier? I've been unimpressed with this Hoosier tire, but that might be my fault on incorrect tire construction more than a tire problem.

That's a big heavy steel aftermarket block engine in the nose, I agree with Ed. 29.5 or taller if possible.

Think of the tire like a shock absorber-stiff.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hoosier 18175 look ok? I can't find 18194s anywhere. 18175 is .5" wider tread width and 0.2" shorter in overall height.

I don't see anything in the Hoosier catalog for a "stiff" sidewall in a 30" tire for what it's worth. 18205 is 30.0x10.5-15 in D05 compound. have to get into a 31.5" tire to get a stiff sidewall. I don't have room to go that big.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CSRacing,

Posts: 70 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
M/T Pro Bracket Radial and don't look back. I put 408 runs on my 29.5"x10.5" PBR's at 21psi and still never found the cords. Never once turned a tire.

If the car doesn't work, look at the shocks and suspension setup.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5731 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hoosier 29.5/10.5 Drag Bracket Radial

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Having run radial slicks for 20 years, I would not recommend a radial for a small tire, nose heavy BBC UNLESS it worked like a stocker or this car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKYio6OvKM

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tried a Hoosier bracket radial 2 years ago. Did not work on my setup at all. Made a reasonable amount of changes and never hooked consistently. Bias ply drag slick is what I'm looking for.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSRacing:
Hoosier 18175 look ok? I can't find 18194s anywhere. 18175 is .5" wider tread width and 0.2" shorter in overall height.

I don't see anything in the Hoosier catalog for a "stiff" sidewall in a 30" tire for what it's worth. 18205 is 30.0x10.5-15 in D05 compound. have to get into a 31.5" tire to get a stiff sidewall. I don't have room to go that big.

Look at a set of Firestone/Phoenix 29.5 x 11.5 tall tire and narrow section.

97-98 roll out.

Last forever too. Long lasting.

Hoosier 29's be alright too.

I've run both with BBC's in the nose of my Nova.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Mickey's are good too, I've run all three. Went from Firestone to Mickey's. Firestone is a lot like a Mickey only taller. The Firestone I used to get were 96-97" rollout, not 97-98".

Specs say 95.5 rollout. Good tire, forgiving tire.

Any of those three will work without much drama.

Radials are good too, on a smooth well prepped track. A hair less forgiving than the other three.

Get a car working really good on a smooth track, a radial is hard to beat. Smooth, stable, consistent.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We run a Mickey Thompson 3062S in the Vette. Its and NA10.5 heads up car we have been 1.081 60' with them in a 2800lb car. Pretty much a spec tire for the NA class although they changed the max diameter a couple years ago so the Hoosier could be run. Some guys have tested with them but all have gone back and stuck with the M/T. NMCA NA10.5 has cars from 2500-3500lbs all using this tire. Leafs to Ladder bars to 4 links in the class as well.

FWIW we are NOT allowed to run a radial...The only knock on a radial at this level is they are track prep dependent. And also dont last that long in this environment but most dont get much life out of the bias tires either

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
When I was looking at Hoosier for “small tire” bias slicks, many of their part numbers are D05 and D06 compounds. I’ve only ever used the C06 & C07, on radials though. I did try a 18175 in D06 and just didn’t have any luck with it. But after 27 years of racing on a radial, I never claimed to have any expertise in bias tires.

Curious why Hoosier doesn’t offer more in C06 & C07?

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
We run a Mickey Thompson 3062S in the Vette. Its and NA10.5 heads up car we have been 1.081 60' with them in a 2800lb car. Pretty much a spec tire for the NA class although they changed the max diameter a couple years ago so the Hoosier could be run. Some guys have tested with them but all have gone back and stuck with the M/T. NMCA NA10.5 has cars from 2500-3500lbs all using this tire. Leafs to Ladder bars to 4 links in the class as well.

FWIW we are NOT allowed to run a radial...The only knock on a radial at this level is they are track prep dependent. And also dont last that long in this environment but most dont get much life out of the bias tires either

I could run the 315 radial all season no problem. Tread wear was fine and sidewalls weren’t beat to death. That was running teens 60’s at 3100 lbs.

I’ve considered the 29.5 x 10.5 either stiff or wide but concerned they won’t last at all. Most guys I know swap them out anywhere from 15 to 20 or 25 runs and the sidewalls are dead.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
My slow azz car went it's quickest ever 60', 1/8, and 1/4 ET's on a 45 degree T&T track, that another racer told me was trash, "you'll NEVER get down that lane", on M/T 29.5x10.5 PBR's.
1.34 / 6.48 / 10.36
It printed 6 tickets that evening, ending with that last one. I think we were -700 ft. atmosphere.

just sayin'

The Hoosier 29.5x10.5 DBR is so much bigger than the M/T that I cannot even get the wheel to the studs. I can only imagine how well they should work.
I'm going to notch the frame and put those on 10" wheels, maybe next winter.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've been running Hoosier Quick Time Pros, 29x11.5. They are a DOT tire but basically it's a slick with a couple grooves. I don't know the differences in sidewall and materials compared to a true slick.

8" rim on a 71 Chevelle and fit well.

A friend of mine used to run same size tire running 6.1-6.2 with a 67 Camaro at about the same weight.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post