Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Power
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I to was talking about a Grid tied system. Here in Texas the main power draw is air conditioning and the more the sun shines more power it makes.

As for up north Illinois etc. they are set at a steeper angle to face the sun and they are also black in color so I do not think snow would be much of a problem. The further North they are closer to vertical, further South closer to horizontal.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Not home, but for trailer. I'm looking for a reliable small solar unit to keep the 4 batteries in the trailer charged during the winter. Tired of
R&R for the coming winter months. PITA.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Not home, but for trailer. I'm looking for a reliable small solar unit to keep the 4 batteries in the trailer charged during the winter. Tired of

Great idea! Most new trailers and trucks now have that option. Would be great to have small solar/battery option to run basics during the day at the track.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4499 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Some friends of mine have a small solar unit mounted on their race cars that keep the batteries charged---they don't even take a charger to the track.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
As with any product i guess look at the reviews on these units paid or not. I did noticed they aren't really expensive at all. Seen some panels that have actually melted looking at the reviews that included pics. Would really save me some work let alone working on the hot rod. Fern, you know what he is using?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No but may see them next week. Door cars and maybe 12X12 panel on trunk. Worried people to death for awhile.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:

I use one of those small solar panels from Harbor freight on my trailer. Used the winch to load my car yesterday pulled it up in the trailer just fine after sitting all winter with just the solar panel on it.

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, back at the ranch.. Big Grin

Enphase Solar report
date---- Peak KW ---- KWH Produced
3/1-7 -- 10.0 - 352
3/8-14 -- 9.90 - 385
3/15-21 -- 10.4 - 323
3/22-28 -- 10.5 - 382
3/29-31 -- 10.5 - 144

Carbon offset 1.09 tons
or 28 Trees...
Now is that enough to offset my racing footprint... Nope..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4499 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Enphase Solar report
3/1-7 -- 10.0 - 352
3/8-14 -- 9.90 - 385
3/15-21 -- 10.4 - 323
3/22-28 -- 10.5 - 382
3/29-31 -- 10.5 - 144

Carbon offset 1.09 tons
or 28 Trees...

Let those smart city folks pick up the rest.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

Enphase Solar report
3/1-7 -- 10.0 - 352
3/8-14 -- 9.90 - 385
3/15-21 -- 10.4 - 323
3/22-28 -- 10.5 - 382
3/29-31 -- 10.5 - 144

Carbon offset 1.09 tons
or 28 Trees...

Let those smart city folks pick up the rest.

Yes sir Bucky.
Kinda tickles me to get over on PGE NahNahTounge

Raceless in California!

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Was going to install it when I had a house built and our electric bill was $320 and this past year it averaged $188 per month. How do I justify installing it?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I just ordered panels and engineering yesterday for my house. A friend is an electrical contractor with solar credentials. He's helping me with the technical side, he suggested micro inverter panels because if one has an issue it is stand alone and will not effect other panels. Also you can monitor each panels output separately. He said absolutely do not lease the system, the tax credits only go to the "owner" of the system, which if you lease means the company your leasing from gets the credit, not you! I'm excited to get ours up and running, it'll save us a grand every month not running off the power company. We're getting a smokin' deal on the panels with contractor pricing, the rebate will just about cancel out the entire cost of the system.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Will, how is the family?
Prob read already -Purchased ours with the property. We Registered with Enphase Canadian and 25 year warranty transferred. Are you doing battery back up? House or stand alone? Thought I read stand alone??? If you can afford to buy then yes, especially with help. Once done you will love it.

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
I just ordered panels and engineering yesterday for my house. A friend is an electrical contractor with solar credentials. He's helping me with the technical side, he suggested micro inverter panels because if one has an issue it is stand alone and will not effect other panels. Also you can monitor each panels output separately. He said absolutely do not lease the system, the tax credits only go to the "owner" of the system, which if you lease means the company your leasing from gets the credit, not you! I'm excited to get ours up and running, it'll save us a grand every month not running off the power company. We're getting a smokin' deal on the panels with contractor pricing, the rebate will just about cancel out the entire cost of the system.

You spend greater than $1k/ month? How large is this solar array that it can replace all of that?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:

Enphase Solar report
3/1-7 -- 10.0 - 352
3/8-14 -- 9.90 - 385
3/15-21 -- 10.4 - 323
3/22-28 -- 10.5 - 382
3/29-31 -- 10.5 - 144

Carbon offset 1.09 tons
or 28 Trees...

In the last 30 days, my 36-panel system has produced 1.27 MWh, which covered all of our consumption plus sold back $31 worth to the power company.

Since we're paying for the system, there isn't a lot of financial benefit but it will be great once paid for. That's assuming it all still functions, of course.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Lenny, In Jan square up we had a 1167$ credit. Thinking of going to MCI and get paid for it. With the current provider you never get back what you generate.

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:

You spend greater than $1k/ month? How large is this solar array that it can replace all of that?
i don't remember the amount of panels off hand, but its about 1000 sq ft of panels

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will, how is the family?
Prob read already -Purchased ours with the property. We Registered with Enphase Canadian and 25 year warranty transferred. Are you doing battery back up? House or stand alone? Thought I read stand alone??? If you can afford to buy then yes, especially with help. Once done you will love it.

No battery back up, as of now the batteries just don't seem like an economical choice. I was told PG&E is your battery back up. Produce enough during the day that they are paying you, and buy it back when needed. It'll be roof mounted, which should also help shading the roof at the same time lowering out power needs. The rebate is the huge factor, it will make it cost almost nothing once 2021 rolls around.

We're doing good, we're still working full, or beyond full time, thankfully. We were set for a hard-core schedule of racing this year... but I guess 2021 will be our year instead. I guess it works out though, 2 new cars and a new rig should be ready to hit it in 2021

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So how are the solar deals working out now that some time has passed? I have plenty of room for an array. I would be more interested in buying. And only interested in short paybacks. Not 15-30 years. My interest falls after 10 really.
We pay just over $200/month in the hottest summer months (1-2) and just over half that in cool months and winter. We could heat more with electricity.

I'm not afraid to tackle some of it myself too. Is there a crossover point of adding more less expensive panels when there is plenty of room?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You could do the structure yourself plus bury the conduit and run the wiring. Ours is overkill , fireman I bought the house from built the golden gate.. panels are light. We just did a 24 kw Generac. We could have done the Tesla Battery Pac ($10k) and with rebates you end up around 4500-5k installed. Doing the gen install was 16-18K estimate so with me doing the fuel lines, conduit and pulling the wires I’m in it around $8800. I figured I would be better off out here with the generator vs battery pack. I can send you pics Bucky by text or email if you want to see the structure up close. I’ll pm you contact info . Working with Art at Matrix HVAC I’m going to do a new ac/heat pump instead of propane heat. I use a bunch of electric. No bill yet.

Raceless in California!