New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Rooster
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Just heard that my friend Rooster ( Philip Honaker)has lost his battle with cancer. Rooster fought the good fight for a couple of years and never once asked for anything from anyone and most never knew of his battle. One of the best and I will miss him

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
prayers for the family and your buddy Rooster

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
Man I hate that. Prayers sent.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sucks when you loose a friend. RIP rooster.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of jimv245
posted Hide Post
Oh NO! I didn't have any idea.
Sad news for sure...
Prayers for his family

Jim Gleason

Posts: 90 | Location: Kimberly, Al | Registered: January 11, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Damn, I had no idea either. So sorry to hear it. I'm glad I got to meet him a few years back at the WFC. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I am glad I had the opportunity to meet Rooster a couple years back.

RIP sir.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
RIP Philip.

My thoughts are with the family

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
RIP Rooster, may you find peace.

Posts: 3079 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
Wow Fern..... Sorry to hear this. I got to meet Rooster at the very first WFC. I was fiddling with a wingnut above my carburetor, in the staging lanes. He came over to me, and told me: "Don't drop that down the carb" .... from experience, he said. We laughed, then talked for awhile. He was a cool and good guy. I also admired his 'rusty little Chevy II'.

Again .... so sorry to hear ...... R.I.P.

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
RIP Rooster....

It was just last week I said hello to him on Motor Mania chat line....

Prayers to the the family, so very sad....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Wow!...is this the Rooster from the motor mania chat room?...geez...we always had kind words for each other for years...rest in peace, brother...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask as well if this was the same rooster from motormania

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers to the Family. God bless.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Fern prayers sent....did he drive a 4 door Chevy 2?

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yes Eric. They are having a memorial for him the 24th at Farmington. Check their web site.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
Wow!...is this the Rooster from the motor mania chat room?...geez...we always had kind words for each other for years...rest in peace, brother...

No. Different Rooster.

Have to say, this took me by surprise. I could have sworn I saw Philip Honaker in competition earlier this season. The cancer must have arrived very quickly. Frown Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tom he had be battling it since 2010 off and on. But it got worse the past couple of years from I was told. I’ve raced with him at the farm for years and even the first part of this year. The man was a trooper. You never heard him complain about it at all. His last race this year he stayed in his camper in the a/c until they called us to the lanes and it was 95 degrees out then. He was a genuinely great person and will be missed by many. RIP my friend

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about Phil (Rooster), my condolences to his Family.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
Here is some information that was posted by Samantha Honaker Bentley: (I believe that's his daughter)

quote:
Philip Ray Honaker(Rooster) was born July 29, 1960 in Beckley, WV just minutes before his twin Peggy Rose to a large Christian family.
His mother Rosie Bell Honaker raised him along with Peggy and his brothers Doug, Randy and Jackie to love god and country. So it was no surprise when after graduating from Liberty High School in 1978, he married and joined the United States Army. Soon afterward, in 1985 his wife gave birth to a daughter Tabitha Rose. In 1991 he met and married his second wife Deirdre (DeDe) in North Carolina and in 1992 his second daughter Samantha Page was born. Then in 1993 she was followed by his only son Philip George. As they grew to adulthood he was their Superhero.
After moving to North Carolina Philip worked for Evans Construction Company, owned by his father in law Belvin Evans, for several years. Upon Blevin’s retirement, Philip landed a job at Wake Forest University in the Utilities Operation Center as the Senior Plant Operator. He worked there for almost 20 years and had many friends he called “brother”. Just weeks ago he was honored as Employee of the Year for the University.
Philip also loved fast cars, burning rubber, and the smell of gas so he could usually be found, most weekends, at the Dragstrip where he became known as Rooster. In 2017 he was Runner Up at the World Bracket Finals as part of Team Farmington.
In June of 2010 he was diagnosed with a rare cancer and began the fight of his life. On November 3, 2018 he lost that battle but as you can see No One Fights Alone !

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5736 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post