DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    bump up and down button
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bump up and down button
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Have any of you seen a button that would fit in the hole that you would use for a big mushroom style button that could serve as a bump up and down button? I would like to use 1 button to do both bump up and down instead of 2 like most people use. Something like a 3 position toggle switch comes to mind with it being spring loaded with the center position being neutral. That way you can push it up for bump up and push it down for bump down.

I haven't seen anything that would fit in a hole though. Have any of you?

Thanks and I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a toggle switch with a big enough mounting to use on one of those holes. I also wouldn't use a toggle to do what you're wanting to do. Too easy to bump accidentally. If you're in a dragster, and have a switch mounting plate with a butterfly style steering wheel, you could mount the switch in the top. Just drill the appropriate sized hole and mount it. If not, maybe make an adapter to fit one.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What I would really like is an oversized mushroom button that is cut in half. Use the top half for bump up and the bottom half for bump down.

You are correct about a toggle switch, I would never want to use something like that. I just meant for that to be an example.

Truthfully, I'm hoping someone will start making a switch from the idea of this post. lol

Posts: 204 | Location: Lenoir | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssmith:
Have any of you seen a button that would fit in the hole that you would use for a big mushroom style button that could serve as a bump up and down button?

No and KISS, just add another button for bumping up

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Consider making your present buttons multi-function. My shift over-ride button is also the bump down button.

How many, what type button, and what button functions do you presently have? What delay box are you using?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320, That is my plan. I was just hoping that a button company had something that I haven't seen.

Someone should start making something like I'm talking about though.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
mark, I'm upgrading to a mega 475 from a 450. I use 3 buttons currently. transbrake, bump down and a back up button that is wired to transbrake and 12v. I plan on leaving the current buttons installed and just adding another for bump up. What would you suggest I do to use 1 button for multiple functions?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Easiest way to do this. Wire the existing Tap Down to both Tap PB and PB2. This button will now do both Tap Down and Reverse . Wire +12v from old Reverse PB to LL PB. This +12v will be for Tap-UP.

Push- Button mode #1 needs to be selected in programming.

Look at page 55 of the instructions to view the Button Functions chart for a better understanding of why this works.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Stuart

I kinda did this years ago but in a brute force kind of way. I simply set my bump down to .007 and added .007 to my delay. Default was to bump once every time. Twice if I needed to actually remove .007 and no bump at all if I met it coming on and needed to “bump up”.

I don’t think bump up and down was an option in the box at the time so I got creative.

With the boxes now, it would probably not be the best way to do it, but it would mean only one button.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
By the time I know I need to bump down, we're crossing the stripe.... Razz

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1662 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No bump down, bump up, double entries or buy backs! Said in my best If3 voice. He used to agree with at least one.

I'm okay with incandescent bulbs and no blinders though! And RT's should be.500 for perfect. I'm older☹️

I'm thinking what you want would be difficult on the steering wheel with to much margin for error. I'd choose mark's way if I had to do it.

I'd like to know runs won vs rounds lost because of a bump button.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I don't need a tap up or tap down button....I cut perfect lights every time I hit the tree....It's just that sometimes the tree is off a bit from my reaction..... Laughing Hard

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I just let go, when the truck moves, after 30 years on the top, I sort of know where I stand on reaction time. You either are carrying to make it look better or you run dead on for the Win.

Bump up, bump down, use a second button off your second bulb if you are fast..... either way, best package wins, EVERYTIME. Do what you gotta do, right?

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about a MIL-SPC (ON) OFF (ON)

Momentary ON - center OFF - Momentary ON

https://www.otto-controls.com/...-and-military-toggle

https://www.otto-controls.com/...ches/toggle-switches

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The delay box the OP is upgrading to (Mega 475) has the ability to do all four functions wanted with the three buttons presently being used. Look at the previously posted wiring diagram.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssmith:
Have any of you seen a button that would fit in the hole that you would use for a big mushroom style button that could serve as a bump up and down button? I would like to use 1 button to do both bump up and down instead of 2 like most people use. Something like a 3 position toggle switch comes to mind with it being spring loaded with the center position being neutral. That way you can push it up for bump up and push it down for bump down.

Oh, sorry reading comprehension isn't my forte.

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
Just run a Dedenbear RTD7, no worries of bump up or down...

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post