Notify
Tools

Sprags
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
An old story but still relevant today.

https://dragracingedge.com/fea...rag-or-not-to-sprag/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Interesting article that still makes me undecided and unsure of what to use in my convertor replacement that I would like to make this year.

The 1991 ATI 8” convertor in my car has been freshened 3 times, stall changed one time and cut apart the last time to replace a cracked snout that drives the pump.

So I’m now undecided about if I should continue to use a sprag or if using a mechanical diode could be better.

ATI says they can duplicate what I now have as they have the information from my present convertor build and re-stall. No free re-stall.

FTI says they use mechanical diode, does not create any more heat than a sprag, offer a 1 yr warranty and free re-stall.

ATI and FTI are both 1000 + miles away.

ATD is 10 miles down the road from me. I have not called to ask about their convertors, but they list using Borg Warner sprags in their builds.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
To sprag or not too sprag, that is the question.....

After having issues twice with the sprag in my converter I had one built without a sprag, so far so good, as was to be expected, but also .1 and 1mph slower, which I was told was also to be expected. But I am fine with that, I am not a Class Racer.

I did have two converters made previously, one of each type, from two different companies. They were both too tight for the combination off the bottle, but on the bottle they were perfect. They were practically identical in performance to each other. They were within 100 rpm of each other off the line, and on the fall back at the shift. Same trap rpm.

So I was a little surprised at the performance difference between the two types now, but that's fine. I will get the sprag converter converted (pun intended) to a mechanical diode and see what it does, and have it as a spare.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
regardless of what anyone says, if a convertor has a sprag in it, the sprag can break

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you race a car it can break.
Using a converter bracket racing what happens with or without a sprag if you're driving the stripe playing the throttle? What happens during that sudden decel/accel possibly a few times pretty quickly?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
A mechanical diode is completely different than a roller sprag. I have one that is 23 years old. I have a friend who runs low 6.30's TS with a MD. I'm sure someone has broken one, but if you take one apart and look at how it's built, you'll become a believer. I'd like to see a picture of a broken one. And how you broke it.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Interesting article that still makes me undecided and unsure of what to use in my convertor replacement that I would like to make this year.

The 1991 ATI 8” convertor in my car has been freshened 3 times, stall changed one time and cut apart the last time to replace a cracked snout that drives the pump.

So I’m now undecided about if I should continue to use a sprag or if using a mechanical diode could be better.

ATI says they can duplicate what I now have as they have the information from my present convertor build and re-stall. No free re-stall.

FTI says they use mechanical diode, does not create any more heat than a sprag, offer a 1 yr warranty and free re-stall.

ATI and FTI are both 1000 + miles away.

ATD is 10 miles down the road from me. I have not called to ask about their convertors, but they list using Borg Warner sprags in their builds.

I like ATI and FTI. I use FTI because they are good and a couple hours down the road. I've had home delivery from them.

I would go see the guy close to you. Ask for the tour. If you like what you see, give your business to him. We break convertors and what's better going 10 miles away or shipping 1000K miles. Plus, he's a local business, pays local taxes, and employs some of your "neighbors".

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post