New
Find
Notify
Tools

Key West
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Who's been there, which is the best resort and why?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I have been a few times and love it. Stayed at the Gates Hotel last time and it was good- just a hotel though, not really a resort. We were supposed to get married at Barbary Beach resort last November (never stayed there) but then COVID cancelled all that so we got married local & are doing a ceremony at Havana Cabana this November. My parents are in Delray Beach, so we visit them and then drive down since its a cool trip down the overseas highway & you get to check out all of the other Keys along the way. There is a great hole-in-the-wall bar & restaurant called Hogfish Grill on Stock Island a few minutes away from Key West. I know its not the resort feedback you were looking for but you'll probably find that they all do a pretty good job since there is so much competition, it all comes down to location.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Hey Billy, thanks for the reply, good info. My wife has narrowed it down to Barbary Beach House and the Casa Marina Key West which doesn't have great reviews, manly because it's an older hotel. This is a college graduation gift for my daughter who graduates from Penn State in a few months. We were booked for 3 weeks in Mykonos and Santorini but cancelled last year due to covid. We plan to due the greek islands in 2022.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Been there once, it was fine but probably won’t go back.

The drive there is great. We were hoping for a tropical beach setting but it’s more of a party spot.

Edit: just read your last post. I’m sure a recent college grad will love Duval Street!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
give me a nice pool, great service and a beach I can hang on if I chose and I'll be fine. The trip is for my 22 y/o daughter so a party spot is a good thing but she also wants a vibe.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
My uncle has a condo there at the Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Sunset Harbor so we are going in Oct. We normally go to Maui around that time but cancelled last years trip due to Covid and probably won't go this year either.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Went to Maui and Kauai coming up on 2 years ago for my son's college graduation present. Best vacation ever, looking forward to go back. Was my 2nd time in Maui, first time was in '85 on my honeymoon.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Some of the other Keys like Marathon & Islamorada have nicer beaches... Key West does have a few nice, small beaches but as others have said, KW has Duval street night life which is a blast. Every night at Mallory square they have a sunset celebration which is pretty cool - street vendors and performers and stuff while you watch the sun set over the ocean. You and your wife can have a quiet night at the hotel afterwards while the kids take the later shuttle back from Duval Street after they're done partying! I'm not much of a traveler so I like Key West because it has a kind of Caribbean vacation vibe but a local feel with out all of the bu11shi1 you have to deal with to leave the country. Besides, even in other countries, all the resorts start to look the same anyway!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks Again Billy.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been there a few times. Imo, the beaches in Key west leave a lot to be desired. Gulf coast beaches are much cleaner nicer water again,IMO. The best beach in the keys is at Bahaya Honda. The keys are great if your into sailing, fishing, or snorkeling. Visit Pennecamp state park for snorkeling. As far as eating or nightlife I find more to my liking on the other islands. Smaller crowds and food is just as good. Key west has several good things, historical buildings etc to walk and tour. Don’t forget to go see the market at the southern most point in the USA. Closer to Cuba than Miami. Nice place to unwind and relax. Overall a very laid back atmosphere.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wooley thanks for the reply.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, I'm from there and go back 2/3 times a year just to visit /vacation. There isn't a lot of beach in Key West to speak of but there are some. Most of the beach is public and on the east end of Key West. One place we have stayed and loved was The Reach Key West, Curio Collection by Hilton. Its location is very close to Duval Street and the Historical District. All within walking distance. Its pricy but darn nice and well worth it.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Steve, thanks for the reply. The Reach looks good. My wife's decision is between it and the Barbary Beach House now.