DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Helmets, get your new helmets here!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helmets, get your new helmets here!
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Well, NHRA took at least nine illegal helmets from racers in Arizona yesterday. I think you get them back after the race is over.

Might want to check the date before you show up at a Divisional. Big Grin

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
As they should! Rules are for everyone, I expect them to enforce the rules. If you don’t want to or can’t afford to follow the rules, NHRA LODRS racing is not for you!!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Snell 2010 helmets were only good in NHRA events until 12-31-2021. That safety check was very predictable. Look for the same at your N/Ihra events this year. I replaced my Snell 2010 in December. Snell 2015 is now the minimum date rating.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Gezz I think I got my 2015 snell in 2016. What are ya all waitin for-lol

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Jax Raceways in Jacksonville Florida, I show up late from Tampa, barely make the lanes to be the last car down time run / dial in for dollars.

So I win the thing, $500 and one of the local dorks sends the track official over for a look at my helmet which was at a minimum, 20 years out of date.

The track official and I had a good laugh. I kept the bread $$.

Track official said use that money to buy a new helmet.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Well, NHRA took at least nine illegal helmets from racers in Arizona yesterday. I think you get them back after the race is over.

Might want to check the date before you show up at a Divisional. Big Grin

Watched them flag two!
I’ll look you up Vern, on the upper deck past boat seats.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

The track official and I had a good laugh. .

thats because your duck pond is a joke .... bring that crap to a divisional or national event where the big boys play , and you'll be watching from the sidelines ....as you should ....

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They got one of my friends who races sporadically. He told me they found 27 out of date. I know there were 9 in S/C cause we were the first to go to the scales.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Were the helmets unsafe?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes and more important so are the drivers wearing them because they don’t care about the rules, think the rules are for everyone but them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If they were honest and put Snell 2010 on their electronic tech card then NHRA should just pull the helmets. If they lied and put 2015 or 2020 on their tech card and got caught with a 2010 then they should be booted from the event. JMO

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I need to replace mine. Expired in Dec. Considering what I paid for it, how long I've had it, I don't consider replacing it a big deal...Ordering a new one later this month since I won't need it until late april anyway....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

The track official and I had a good laugh. .

thats because your duck pond is a joke .... bring that crap to a divisional or national event where the big boys play , and you'll be watching from the sidelines ....as you should ....

Laughing Hard Right

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
There are probably a lot of helmets that ARE in date that are far more dangerous than the ones that were confiscated. If you've ever thrown your helmet, dropped it on tubing or from the roof, then your helmet should be replaced. No matter the date.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I see nice brand new helmets, not sure nor do I care about the dates since I am not wearing it but then they have an old faded, torn fire jacket and sweatpants with holes in them??? Safety needs to be checked but the dates are mainly there to assure profits for aftermarket companies buying ads.
If you have a nice, properly cared for 2010 helmet did it all of sudden get rotten or weak at a certain date? Nope, just need to empty your pockets for $300-$600 and SFI stays funded. Same for alum trans shields, when does 6061 aluminum "wear out"?? I gave up trying to keep up with the "Jones'" at LODRS events and national events years ago. Love bracket racing and if I see something unsafe I have no problem mentioning it to the owner/driver. I know tech is pretty much non-existent but some younger racers might overlook obvious things us Old Guys might notice. Most common I see are seat belts mounted at way wrong angles and not pulled tight enough.

Is what it is: want to race where every little rule is enforced to the letter, great. Want to race where you don't have to have new stuff all the time, you have that option in 99% of the bracket tracks and bracket events.

Dated seatbelts, new helmets and SFI dampers and trans shields on powerglides literally have nothing to do with actual safety when the harness is worn loose and mounted poorly, helmet has been beat up for 5 years and there is no lower strap on that trans shield.

Racing is risky, plenty expensive and keeping enough competitors coming to the local tracks is hard enough. NHRA has no clue about local tracks and IHRA, don't even know if they have a national tech person anymore.

Anyway, be as safe as you can, good luck to everyone this season!!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Doug Bracey is a good example of what the NHRA safety guidelines do for you in a bad situation.
Doug was unconscious for over 20 min. His car and gear did it’s job.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How is Doug doing?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are probably a lot of helmets that ARE in date that are far more dangerous than the ones that were confiscated. If you've ever thrown your helmet, dropped it on tubing or from the roof, then your helmet should be replaced. No matter the date.

I believe there are probably more racers that have improperly fit helmets than this issue that was describe.

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
How is Doug doing?

Better Dave, starting to walk. Just got home from Phoenix so I’ll call Chris. I can tell you he wanted Q sheets and run sheets so we sent them. That’s a great sign!

Raceless in California!