DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Let's talk Funny Cars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk Funny Cars
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of Moderate Joe
posted
Curious what everyone's opinion is with the funny cars and what seems to be an increase in sever explosions? What do you think NHRA will do about it, if anything at all? From a sportsman perspective, what does this do to the delay in the schedule?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Moderator "On Board"

www.dragraceresults.com

Posts: 131 | Location: DragRaceResults.com | Registered: December 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My guess is if it sells more tickets , they will promote it

Posts: 61 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
a lot of the nhra promo videos they show cars exploding or crashing...so I gotta agree

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
My guess would be the new rev limiter for 2018 (7900), Pro Stock cars ride on the limiter a bit ....... doesn't work out so well for a fuel car.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Fuel cars have been on limiter for last cpl hundred feet for years. Really doubt any team is going to explode a car and risk driver for the show.

Since its more funny car than dragsters my guess is something to do with down track traction and loss of pull against motor.They don't like lite load. Now rev limiter adding to loosing cylinders from tire spin could be part of it.
Then again how are a bunch of us arm chair crew chiefs going to figure out what some of the most brilliant gear heads haven't? Well not yet anyway. Heck I have worked around fuel teams and know enough to blow the hell out of big fortune with nitro.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was at Gainesville all weekend in Scott Palmers pit area. The word in the pits was lifter failures causing the explosions.

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I posted a similar question on my Facebook page.

Somebody just responded that they think the auto shutdown system could be causing this.

Doesn't the crew chief now have the ability to cut the ignition from a box on the starting line?

Yes,I realize that it may not seem likely or even logical,but there seems to be a problem out there.

But it will sell seats,so it might now get fixed anytime soon.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
a lot of the nhra promo videos they show cars exploding or crashing...so I gotta agree

That was my thought too. First they fine the driver for doing it then use the video of it to sell tickets. Win Win for the NHRA

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The show is the show. The rest is, and ought to be, filler.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
You're asking what we think is making these things go BOOM? John Force, Austin Coil and the rest of JFR can't figure it out I don't think the answer is here.
NHRA made the crossing the line rule, that was their response. Last time it was 2 locks at the frt, notice the nose and the latches stay in place every time.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
My guess would be the new rev limiter for 2018 (7900), Pro Stock cars ride on the limiter a bit ....... doesn't work out so well for a fuel car.

Limiter is a joke! I’m sure you saw PS in car video last race, they are on the high too long. It’s bad enough in PS so I can’t imagine the havoc in a TF motor. Pretty much all using the same parts so when Matt and Robert both launched parts side by side shows it’s not just the Force camp. Like to hear what they find.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
You guys need to listen to WFO radio podcast this week. Beckman talks a bit about it in his interview. He gives a lot of good info on parts/ pieces/ rev limiters.. Worth a listen IMO.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Lower rev limits is what NHRA thought would be easiest. Probably cost Force and Schumacher $350K each.

Why not a smaller pump and hoses, limit blower air outlet. They are about to kill a couple people IF one doesn't land in the bleachers, then it will get some attention. Right now the only thing entertaining they can sell are the blow-ups, the rest is just staged drama. Same interviews, Same people, Same scenario every race. Scott Palmer was refreshing tho!!

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they consuled any fuel experts..?? I bet they didn’t expect this issue even if it is connected.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
"And They Walked Away XXXVI" in the making.

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
i think they said Roberts was a rod bearing failure, forces were happening well before the rev limiter would take affect.... I too suspected it was rev limiter related until you look at the time it happens. Could be an anomaly? maybe they need to make the burst panel on the body bigger so they only loose the hood instead of the whole body.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
One of these days the video will be titled

"And they didn't walk away"

I hope not

Dale Armstrong had some great suggestions a few years back, NHRA was not interested I guess.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I thought I read lifter failure somewhere.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post