Find
Notify
Tools

Shop Build
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Good morning..
So I am in planning stages for a Race Shop. 30 wide 40 deep, 12' walls main shop, 12' tall x 12' wide leans on both sides, I can close in later for more shop if needed. Question, have any of you insulated and put up sheetrock to steel? Pretty sure fir strip is needed..? Need some ideas please.
I can move this post to Tech if needed Scott.

Thanks Guys!
BP

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We built a 30x60 3-4 years ago 6x6 post frame with metal on outside then had spray foam 4-5 inch thick sprayed on walls only. Then put up purlins and attached 29ga white steel to purlins. We also attached strips to bottom of trusses and put metal ceiling up and blew 12 inches of fiberglass on top of that. It is very well sealed and only cost about 5-6k for metal, insulation and wood for strips and purlins.
And I didn't have to paint anything. It has been very cost effective to heat and cool.

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Barry are we talking about sheet metal studs that are 2x4s or you taking about some thing else?

If your talking sheet metal studs look here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGd6B0v9go

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We live at an airport in Texas. Most of the hangers, including ours are steel frame with a chicken wire wrap and insulation between the wire and the exterior sheet metal.

There is a neighborhood next to us with many homes building shops, most are doing the same thing.

As far as the inner structure, most are doing somewhat of free standing walls, built like a house. That may seem like a double up, but it is the trend around here.

Our building is over 15 years old and the plastic lining on the insulation has held up very well and is still relatively clean.

One thing I suggest is build the walls as tall as possible, it gives you some extra room for either taller ceilings in your shop area or a place for storage above.

One common mistake I notice on the neighborhood buildings around us is many are not doing a big door that works for big trailer or motorhome. They are also building them in weird locations for backing in. As racers, we see this as we need to get in and out with sometimes bigger rigs than most. It also adds resale value in most cases.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Studs are 2x2 thick metal 48” centers. I will fir out for Sheetrock and I like the blow in foam insulation! Cool!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick, Mike and Mopdrag! Great ideas and yeah , plan well. I have tons of room!

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Barry that sounds like a very heavy duty build, the termites not going to do much damage on that structure.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I like steel inside. But hanging stuff on steel isn't friendly. I went up 8" with 3/4" cdx painted gloss and then 7' up from there with steel. I don't have all of it done yet. But it seems to be a great combo. Hang just about anything on the plywood.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On mine right now I am leaning toward having the foam sprayed in there and just painting it high gloss white.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3974 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree on the suggestion to paint the interior surfaces white, (including the ceiling) that will reflect the light. Use LED lighting with reflectors to reduce the electric bill (fewer fixtures) while at the same time increasing the effectiveness of the lighting.

There is a formula for the most effective lighting output that takes into account the fixture density, fixture height, location, spacing and type. Most Companies that manufacture reflectors can provide you with that information/Formula. Your “working height” is a key factor when discussing reflectors, 36 inches high or whatever is your bench surface height.

Bob

://www.markwilliams.com/servicebull/sb0077.pdf

Posts: 3075 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
On mine right now I am leaning toward having the foam sprayed in there and just painting it high gloss white.

That is what I did. You will be very happy with it.

Posts: 399 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I am fortunate we bought with Solar too. PGE owes Me!
Please keep the ideas and what works for you coming.
Again, thank you.
BP

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On the barndominuim I am building I plan on getting 2 of the taller 40 foot storage containers. I will put them end to end with a 20 foot covered patio in between them. That will be 100 foot long and then right beside it will be a 16 foot wide car port the whole 100 feet for my truck and trailer. The shop will be 40 by 100. Then the house portion and a ranch style porch on West side. One of the storage containers will eventually be a paint booth.
I have some of the tall shelving units for inside the shop that go almost up to ceiling. The bottom shelf will be about 6'4" or so and my work benches will be under them with heavy storage up above. Shelving will also be gloss white and the floor will be a light gloss light Grey. LED lights inside. I found a great location with a good view and it is close to the city but no houses close by and no city restrictions. Close by street but my house will have long driveway and house can not be seen from the street. So everything will be safe and secure.
Here in Texas the big problem is the terrible heat. To combat that I am going to have a decent sized fan facing in on south side and facing out on North side. Late at night the fans will come on to draw all of the heat out then close early in the AM. I will have the foam insulation sprayed in and painted white.
When you design it right it should be fairly cool, well light up and low energy cost.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3974 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I used 3 of these fans in my shop
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ha...trol-52860/204507386

on high gear paperwork goes everywhere

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple and not costly. Thanks Mop!

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 16 ft ceiling and a 14ft door that way in the future you can put a motor-home or stacker trailer in it, mines a 14ft tall with a 12ft door and i really wish I went 2ft taller just food for thought.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

Not worthy
Trust me! AC/Heatpump for sure! My last shop had a 5k unit.

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put a ductless mini split 3 ton heatpump in.
I got mine from acwholesalers.com cost about $2200 and about $500 to get some professional help to get it installed and started up correctly. I can't believe how efficient it is even in the OK. heat. Last month kept 30x60 shop at 79 and 1880 sq ft house at 74 and elec. bill was $254.
Before shop elec bill would have been probably 180ish.

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I just built my third home shop in the last 25 years. In all of them I have gone up 8' with 3/4" plywood, which I painted gloss white. It makes it extremely easy to hang/attach things to.

I then go from 8' up with white metal and install a white metal ceiling. This allows for a lot of light reflection and a brighter area.

I would insulate as much as you can. I used R21 bats in the walls and R38 blown in the ceiling.

The previous shops, I have used old house oil furnaces and put whole house sucker fans in the ceiling to help pull the heat out in the summer. The latest shop, I still put the sucker fans in, but also put three 3 ton mini-split units in and could not be happier. I keep them set for 48* in the winter to keep things from freezing and 78* in the summer to keep the humidity down. If I am going in the shop to work, I use the mobile app to turn it down to 74-75* to make it more comfortable to work in.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post