DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    PBIR update picture
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PBIR update picture
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
The link below has some pictures of what PBIR aka Moroso, looks like after the suites that own it, closed it for good and sold off anything of value.

That was my home track for decades and it’s hard to look at these.

There is a long shot effort going on with the county, but the reality is the current owners are definitely not interested in racing at any level.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/...ay-looks-like-today/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
And all there are is memories. Rich people only care about one thing. That is money and wealth.. Well they can take their money to the grave.

You have heard the phrase.. "Money is Evil"

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Obviously I'm not happy with the many dragstrips we're losing now days, but I can't mutherfuc people for legally and legitimately making money in life. It was for sale, you could have bought it also. He, she, they took the chance instead.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the current owners bought the property as a real estate investment years ago...as an industrial use, it is now worth about 10 times what they paid for it...hard to blame them for cashing in although I hate it...BTW, the property has been zoned for industrial since the day they bought it...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s not the fault of track owners that their property valve has increased to the point where they will never make anywhere near the $ it’s worth if they sell. Add to that the fact that baby boomers are retiring and dying and there’s a fraction of that number of young men interested in American muscle cars no mind competitively racing them. Bottomline is the sport is dying, regardless of those that refuse to acknowledge this fact and more tracks will close.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1290, i agree and disagree. if you look at youtube the younger crowd is still into cars as much as ever. but they are not doing their racing at local tracks. they are doing their racing on the street. an organized street race and there will be hundreds of people watching it seems like. the street outlaws craze has them on the street and not supporting tracks which in effect is bad for tracks as you point out. but the car culture is still there they are just 4 cylinder turbo rice burners instead of big block muscle cars. tracks need to figure out how to tap in to that market if they can.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There maybe pockets of larger interest in some areas around the country but history has shown us, this crowd has zero interest in bracket or class racing.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
an organized street race and there will be hundreds of people watching it seems like.

The fact that they are breaking the law and annoying the **** out of law-abiding citizens is 98% of the appeal to that crowd. They have no interest in legal, organized racing.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of qwik-tripp
posted Hide Post
Paul, we went by on our way from Bradenton a couple weeks back and it was sad to see how it looks now. Lots of great memories and friends made there.

Posts: 20 | Location: maryland | Registered: March 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Lots of great memories at that place during the years of the 5-Day race. Hit the links early morning, head to the track, get your azz handed to you, head to the dog track, get your azz handed to you, then go to the tiki bar on Singer Island. Wake up and repeat...

Big Grin

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrewMan:
Lots of great memories at that place during the years of the 5-Day race. Hit the links early morning, head to the track, get your azz handed to you, head to the dog track, get your azz handed to you, then go to the tiki bar on Singer Island. Wake up and repeat...

Big Grin

That’s funny

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qwik-tripp:
Paul, we went by on our way from Bradenton a couple weeks back and it was sad to see how it looks now. Lots of great memories and friends made there.

I loved the Winter Series. It was great catching up with many out of state racers. Like you said, memories now.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the daily points were posted on the door at the top of those steps..

It brings back lots of good memories ,, Thank you Richard Moroso

Posts: 62 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agree 100% Mark. When racing was a lot different. Always took my golf clubs, family could enjoy the trip, One entry, one driver, making it to the 32 cars and getting parked in lanes to be paired, cars
and engines were 95% home made and the drivers were what made the cars shine.
It was fun to watch.
Now it's cookie-cutter stuff, everyone can buy the parts to win with and I hear some racers actually use a Practice Tree !! ;-)
I remember the ball-joint falling off your Camaro at the end of a wheelie, you got 'er fixed if I remember right and back at it the next day.
Great times.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hope the Martin County option follows thru at least.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/f...ach-raceway/42679459

93 Dodge Stealth -
526 KB Hemi
14-71 SSI Roots Blown

Posts: 193 | Location: Boynton Beach, Florida | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
The FACT is that Bracket racing (basically any sanctioned event) is dying a slow death.
Fast/Heads up stuff IS growing but most of the tracks aren't really paying attention.
Also, with the land values being worth more than a functioning race track who can blame the owners for selling.
Give it a few more years and what we call racing will be gone as owners move on, etc.
Don't get me wrong, there will ALWAYS be heads up/street racing but race track racing will be gone.
Heck, count the number of people on here that are already talking about walking away from it due to the price of fuel, etc.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 588 stealth:
Hope the Martin County option follows thru at least.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/f...ach-raceway/42679459

Not sure if wpbf is confused or I read something wrong elseware. Pretty sure what the palm beach county commissioners voted on and approved was, the site could not be developed as a mega warehouse as Portman planned. That’s it.
If that’s true and added to the fact the owners are dead set on no racing on their property, they own, seems it’s future sale is very constrained to a track operator (with very deep pockets) or some other I un-described land use.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Specifically, teh board voted to deny the applicants request for two agaenda items...first, to abandon various uses approved back in 2009 for the 1.7 acre portion of the property since they said they would never be developing those uses...second, they voted to deny the applicants request for a development plan approval of the 178 acre parcel as an industrial park...I did this sort of thing for 40 years and this denial has no chance of surviving an appeal...the county staff charged with reviewing all applications recommended approval of this request...the board clearly voted to appease the crowd...the court will rely on the merits of the application which, according to the county's own staff, met all requirements for approval...this property has been zoned for industrial from the day the current owners bought it...I hate being the harbinger of bad news but this industrial project will happen...I sure miss the track though...dang!!!..btw, two of the board members voted no on the denial...they understood what arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable means with respect to their decisions...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I was told that the current owners will not sell to anyone who wants to reopen the track

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
I was told that the current owners will not sell to anyone who wants to reopen the track

And that makes no sense, why would they care what is done with the land after they get the money from the sale.

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post