DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Local bracket racers need to cherish their tracks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local bracket racers need to cherish their tracks
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Facebook post from South Carolina Motorplex

I'm sorry for those of you who cannot access Facebook postings. It says that South Carolina Motorplex is ending their bracket racing program. Not their other track activities, just the bracket racing. And it says that the reason is, basically, how hard it is to try and make bracket racers happy...or at least pretend to be happy.

I'm sure that means nothing to those of you who tow across several regions in high dollar rigs and pay large amounts of money just on entry fees. But it ought to give anyone who loves bracket racing at their local tracks a reason to think. The local tracks do not need us. In fact, I believe many of them make very little profit margin on us. It doesn't cost a nickel to be nice. Try it. Heck, you even come to like it. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
where is this place or is it a place I know by another name

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tom396 My wife read that artical off Facebook to me the other day. I agree with you as once a race track goes away its usually gone for ever. We have just went through that in my area as Milan Dragway was closed this year. We may be lucky though as someone is buying it and is planning to open back up nect year.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Link to South Carolina Motorplex

194 Dragstrip Rd Neeses, SC 29107

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Used to be Orangeburg.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Damn, looks like a concrete palace. Probably couldn't get any/enough cars to show up.

Orlando packs em in, everyone gets along, no drama, smoothest track, Modern timing equipment blue LED stage, and the best food, Nathans hot dogs and their fries are better than Culver's.

It's like a car show turned drag race in Orlando, I've never seen so many nice cars, and I thought I had a pretty nice car.

Highest payout in Florida too, $2750 to win Super Pro at Orlando.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
Facebook post from South Carolina Motorplex

I'm sorry for those of you who cannot access Facebook postings. It says that South Carolina Motorplex is ending their bracket racing program. Not their other track activities, just the bracket racing. And it says that the reason is, basically, how hard it is to try and make bracket racers happy...or at least pretend to be happy.

I'm sure that means nothing to those of you who tow across several regions in high dollar rigs and pay large amounts of money just on entry fees. But it ought to give anyone who loves bracket racing at their local tracks a reason to think. The local tracks do not need us. In fact, I believe many of them make very little profit margin on us. It doesn't cost a nickel to be nice. Try it. Heck, you even come to like it. Take care. Tom Worthington

I agree Tom. Loosing places out here and seasons cut down. I see some out there too. Lost our Summit series races at Sonoma. I will be supporting Sacramento Raceway and probably Redding Raceway. I Choose not to be on FB.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Orlando still has spectators too for bracket racing, but then again the food is excellent, the asphalt is nice front to back no pot holes, grass is always cut, fencing is perfect, kinda reminds me of Disney. Orlando is the nicest cleanest track I've ever been by far. They even have a person who takes tips and cleans the bathroom all day.

Some of these tracks should check out Orlando for idea's. It's no wonder Orlando packs em in for bracket racing, and everyone is happy.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Someone recently reopened 2 tracks in MD, one as Tom knows had been closed 20 + years. But no bracket racing just T&T and grudge racing...but they did reopen

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes I completely agree. Local racers traveling hurts local tracks obviously. Hard to please and none of them agreeing bracket racers can be a ****le bunch as well. And the margins suck even if there is decent turnout....particularly in rural areas.

But
Every coin has a flip side.

Sure the travelers hurt local tracks. But those racers are traveling TO SOMEWHERE. Why not make it your track? Put on a big money race or two and try not to overlap it with other nearby money race events. Go out of your way to make sure the racers are appreciated....that you want their business.
As far as the tracks not needing bracket racers....sure you can make that argument. Particularly with small margins. But, even small margins pay the overhead of track ownership. It pays for the grass to be mowed. It pays to employ people so that you have staff for the next money making event. Many business owners realize that you don't cut a fat hog on every product you sell. But that doesn't mean that paying for overhead with that product is a bad thing.

You can't expect bracket racers to come back to be abused. To use filthy bathrooms. To bring fast cars to a poorly prepped track. To eat a poor excuse for track food.

Our closest track made a handful of changes this last winter. They got rid of all two day races and doubled the number of weekends you have to dedicate each season to run points there. strike one. They ended their quick 16 program that was really never promoted in any way. And the icing on the cake was taking a long time 1/4 mile track and making points races 1/8 mile. Many racers frequent that track because they were 1/4 mile. And the same racers that pushed for 1/8 mile will travel to any travel race around. I chose to travel to another local track for points this season for our cars. Certainly I'm not mad about it or trying to show them whatever. I'm going to a track that runs a program that I enjoy. They are making some changes at my old track, and I may very well return next season as a regular. But after years of supporting my local track....literally decades, regardless of how I was treated, I decided to take my racing dollars where I figured we could have the most fun. That's the flip side to the coin. Last I checked I'm still a customer. I can still vote with my pocketbook.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The building of RT66. $20 Million plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5OPG1bLo0

The finished product.

Closed.

Support your local track.....

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I try always to be courteous to track workers, and if I speak to the manager I always thank them for having me, as I would anytime I'm invited over to someone else's house. Common courtesy isn't so common anymore, is it?

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
The building of RT66. $20 Million plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5OPG1bLo0

The finished product.

Closed.

Support your local track.....

Illinois the next Detroit, they offshored the prosperity of America to china. They could've afforded to pay all these pensions and exorbitant salaries and retirement packages, if they hadn't done that.

But like George Carlin said, they're coming for your pensions. "They want it all and they'll get it"

It's a big club and you ain't in it. You and I ain't in the Big club.

It's the same Big club they use all day in their media telling you what to think, what to believe, and what to buy.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ya ever see the movie The Sting?

That's what America is now, one big con

And they use the TV to deliver their stories/ explanations/ scripts.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
it's a two way street....treat racers as customers.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What was the given reason for closing?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Well we all know 2020 and that went to ***..
2021 who knows. the NASCAR track is right next to it. closed also. i can tell you one thing. A certain operation tried to contact the track a couple of times. No reply.... 2022? Who knows.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Well we all know 2020 and that went to ***..
2021 who knows. the NASCAR track is right next to it. closed also. i can tell you one thing. A certain operation tried to contact the track a couple of times. No reply.... 2022? Who knows.

I thought that was wrapped up done for sure. Early on I wrote that track off for enjoyable racing for me. I hear it got better at some point. Beautiful facility. If I recall the rules for overnight were funny at times. It seemed like the start of the day was 45 minutes of various lines of different nature....most involved more money. Many of the employees didn't really seem to have any interest in making the experience good for racers. It always felt to me like the bracket program was a bother, and something they had to do. Not something they wanted to do. So that track came off my list.

As IHD mentioned above, just treat us like customers. Well, like customers were treated before covid would be even nicer.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6354 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I really don't know what the pay structure was there for the guys. Good days and bad days. Yes odd at times. I never worried about staying over there for a weekend event. I live too close. I know they had management changes there. On the certain events like the divisionals or the NMCA or the Super Chevy event, We made certain that we were well stocked up on food Etc. We even brought our smokers are there and finished the cook during the day. Shoulders/ribs/burgers Etc.
Everybody had to bring a dish.

There were about 40 of us. Even invited the workers there for a meal during break/down time. If one guy broke, we would do out best to help him get back up there. Best times ever there.

I lot of great memories. I just could never understand why that facility would only host only 8 bracket event for the whole season. The place could be a gold mine for other events. But we all know it comes down to $$$.. I just hope it doesn't close for good.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/...aders-say-otherwise/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,