New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Money Racing
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Is it me or is it the same crowd running/winning the big money bracket races. I can only imagine the car counts are nearly half of what they were 1-2 years ago and only those with deep pockets are attending, hence the same faces???

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J69:
Is it me or is it the same crowd running/winning the big money bracket races. I can only imagine the car counts are nearly half of what they were 1-2 years ago and only those with deep pockets are attending, hence the same faces???

Big money racing is the opposite of local, local it's the least entry's per win, is the greatest of all times.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Big money racing = big money spent on fuel to get there, big money spent on entry fees, big money spent on buybacks, and 75% of entries go home with zero from the purse.

There is no better deal going that your local track's regular Summit Series events.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Well said mike

Johnny Claridge
Reher-Morrison
john.claridge@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

Big money racing is the opposite of local, local it's the least entry's per win, is the greatest of all times.

This was sarcasm, but to answer your question, it's no different than local racing in terms of who is winning.

It's typically the same faces.

The faces may rearrange a little here and there, but that's due to peaking after lots of work with a certain combination of parts.

The peaks and valleys are determined by the car.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Big money racing = big money spent on fuel to get there, big money spent on entry fees, big money spent on buybacks, and 75% of entries go home with zero from the purse.

There is no better deal going that your local track's regular Summit Series events.

Local racing looks better every day, you pass the gas station.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
75% of entries go home with zero from the purse.

Not counting the buy back round, it’s 87.5% leaving with no winning money during a race paying 3rd round winners. Many of the winners are doubled and buy back on their loosing doubles.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
You support what ever racing you enjoy most. I have ran some big money events and it was no fun.
If you enjoy them then run them if not then race local or what ever you want.

I do think all of racing is going to start suffering more and more due to gas prices, economy and politics. I do not believe Climate Change is a real serious issue but I do think they are going to use that excuse to limit our Freedom and Rights. Wish I was wrong about that but I am not.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3993 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes and no! You can find reasonable big buck races that are relatively close that don't have crazy winner's bucks top heavy payout structures that will not cost you the farm!

The nature of what we do does leave a good percentage of racers that don't cash on any given race, it's no different locally. One of the reasons I do like the Fling races, they do a great job with their sponsors giving away nice prizes each round!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Yes and no! You can find reasonable big buck races that are relatively close that don't have crazy winner's bucks top heavy payout structures that will not cost you the farm!

The nature of what we do does leave a good percentage of racers that don't cash on any given race, it's no different locally. One of the reasons I do like the Fling races, they do a great job with their sponsors giving away nice prizes each round!

I agree with that TOP38. The fling series gives back even when you don't win.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the reasons I do like the Fling races, they do a great job with their sponsors giving away nice prizes each round!

Agreed. At a different event recently, they were giving out ice cream drum sticks to the buy back losers at the et shack (yea, I got one).

The Fling also runs doubles separately from singles for first two rounds. This way the single doesn’t get caught running a double car first round that has already been down the track one time. I like this method. Otherwise, first round I pull into staging lanes immediately after the doubles first call no matter what color they called.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I enjoy big money racing....that said, it is getting real tough these days...I have cut back to two big money events this year...the SFG 5 day and the New Years Nats...both of them are at Bradenton, a 3 hour tow for me...I also have had to stop staying a the big chain motels...an $89 room last year is now $315 per night...I now look for the older 50's style motes owned by mom and pop...I have also increased my local racing schedule...

Posts: 1276 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
While I agree travel,entry and overall cast is more than running local braket race. Normally there are lots race in one event,mutliple races means that many times better chance of winning something. A lot of the big money races only have a round ot two more than local race with 2 buy backs. Car does not know what kind of race it is it cost same per round.

As for entry cost nothing gamble nothing won. I have watched guys make 7 or 8 rounds and win 1000 bucks and think it is lot better than running same number of rounds for 20 times that because of cpl hundred bucks entry.

As stated I have seen a few where 500 to 750 covered 3 races and paying 10 to 20k. Now buy backs are easy don't loose first round.

Discalimer. I don't really have dog in fight since my driver can't get his shyt together enough to be in local bracket race.LMAO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We was just talking about this today one guy specifically…he’s just a driver….bet they have spent 50 k + already on diesel,racing fuel,an entries already…he has won a decent amount already……

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hey m0oney wise they all beat national event or divisional. I know with alcohol cars winning a division al will not cover the cost of fuel for the car. Probably the dumbest there is money wise.

Like one said race what you enjoy, because in most cases a break even deal will be good.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Is history repeating its self? In the 60s drag racing was about dead as it had got to the point that the guy with the most money almost always won every event. Then Pappy Parker out there in CA came up with a form of bracket racing. Then around 1975--77 Carl Bullock from (I believe)Philadelphia started the New Jersey Bracket Racers Assoc at Atco which turned into the United Bracket Racers Assoc with members all over the country. They talked Darwin Doll (NHRA Div 1 director) into backing a Div 1 bracket finals at York US 30 in 1977. 485 cars made first round. NO BUY BACKS. Classes then were determined by ET--Pro, Heavy, and Street. John DiBartolomeo won Pro, Mike Minno, won Heavy, and Bruce Bowman won Street. I don't think there was a trans brake or delay box in the place. This was when you could go to a Sat bracket race at the local track and find a full house. It was simple. As time has gone on we have allowed about everything money can buy creep into this type of racing and now on a weekly basis you can hardly find a local bracket race and the fields are getting smaller. At the big races as we are now seeing the same faces in the short lines, those to are having less people. History!

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I’ve traveled some good distances for $5-10k races, but never gotten into the really big buck scene.

I think way more about the money guaranteed to go out than I do about what might come back in. Same reason I don’t really gamble.

I have been doing a lot more NHRA racing the past few years, and it’s financially stupid of course, but there’s a pretty low limit on money going out each event. Once you’re through the gate, you don’t need to spend another nickel.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

In answer to your question, the cream has always risen to the top (cheating/fraud aside, and that doesn't apply here).

For me personally, I only wager what I feel comfortable losing. You will not see me at any sort of big buck event, because of it. I'd much rather lose $40 five times, at local events, than lose $200 at one of these big deals. I enjoy competing, as often as possible. Winning is simply a bonus. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Big mania racing would be a lot less subjective were it one car , one entry.

I hate subjective competition. Subjective is too Liberal.

I can't get motivated by anything that is liberal / subjective.

There are no objective facts in multiple entry's.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Big mania racing would be a lot less subjective were it one car , one entry.

I hate subjective competition. Subjective is too Liberal.

I can't get motivated by anything that is liberal / subjective.

There are no objective facts in multiple entry's.
Best statement you’ve made….definitely ONE ENTRY PERIOD….you would see a different winners list….BUT none of these BIG races would happen without doubles….they would lose their a z z….

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post