DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    why old people forget
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why old people forget
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but never Australia....

I rotated back and forth to Australia for work short of a year. That LA to Melbourne flight is a biotch! I'd catch a connecting flight to Adelaide and overnight. Then off to Moomba and parts unknown in the outback. Kangaroos, Dingoes, Emu, parrots and lizards. Oh, and the occasional free-range cattle. Much like "Walkabout Creek" with the long semi trains and bars in nowhere. Those Aussies are drinkers for sure!
Had the wife meet me in Melbourne and we vacationed up the east cost but liked where we were so well we never made it to the Gold Coast (their Las Vegas). Drove up into the mountains one night and saw plenty of small marsupials hopping around. In short it's an interesting place and you should go if the opportunity avails itself.
The one thing I HATE about Australia, the call of their crows! It's hideous.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I want to "Correct myself" on the subject of Australia, I have been there but not as a visitor. For six weeks I worked on a project called "Glo-Track for General Dynamics, we established global satellite tracking stations. They flew six of us into Alice Springs to work at a site just outside of town for a couple of months. At that time Alice Springs was a really small town, just a few small buildings, gas station, grocery store (they had beer), etc. This was NOT a vacation, my next trip will be with the Wife, it WILL be a vacation but not in Alice Springs.

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Like Fern said, I have been all over the US for work and a few vacations. been to Europe, worked in the middle east, made several trips to China for business but haven't got to Australia. I have a couple of old associates in New Zealand and a bunch of friends in Sydney Australia. My sons parent company is in Sydney. I have standing invitations to go there but I have taken my last 14 hour flight. I get to see the boys from Australia 2 or 3 time a year when they come over here. They all love Hooters.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not traveled out side US unless weekend in Canada counts. With world now days I have no intent to do so either.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One of the best trips / vacation we ever made was to spend two weeks in Michigan. We flew into Flint, met a friend (Racer) who lives in Clio which is a few miles north of Flint. From there we drove to Northern Michigan and spent several days on Mackinaw /Mackinac Island. If you have never been there it's like Disneyland on steroids for seniors. Then we spend the next 5 days driving down the west coast through Charlivoix (Home of Oliver Connecting Rods), Petroski, Traverse City, Ludington (Best Breakfast Restaurant in the World) then across the State back to Flint.

Now why mention all these places? It's to prove my memory isn't all that bad, in spite of the topic of this conversation (why old people forget). The spelling yep, but not the memory.

Bob

Posts: 3084 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty good. I remember the TV talking about a particular island in the pacific and after about 1/2 an hour I realized that I had in fact been there. Also remember countries but not the towns and other things that I visited. BUT, I worked in 23 countries and visited many many more. Enjoy the moment now, you might forget it later. Yesterday we visited Lake Lure, NC home of the Dirty Dancing movie and a bunch of other things I have already forgot!!!!!!

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Chris how would you like to be almost 80 like me?
or me

You`re still havin` fun at the track with an awesome ride! That is cool!

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 159 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Best trip/vacation. A few years ago we went to Italy. Rather than a structured tour we bought a rail pass and a good guide to B&B's. We visited a few major cities, Venice, Balogna, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorento, the Amalfi Coast ( which included Amalfi and Positano) and my mothers birthplace Salerno. Saw all the tourist stuff but also got to see normal everyday life which was the best part of the rip. One stop that blew us away was Vatican City and the Vatican. The art and history was amazing. It brought to life the history books I studied in my youth. After 3 weeks we were wore out, but excited to be planning our next trip only to be fubared by this pandemic.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think selective memory has lot to do with. Not sure what we where doing monday on current job that I want to just go away. I can tell that in 1994 Bristol fall race I had a 130 main,60 in HSPD1 and 80 in HSPD 2 which was also connected to richening system for top end.Kill button was a 75.

Wonder why my wife says I have selective memory. Not selective just not wasting on unimportant stuff. LMAO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
In 2007 I retired at age 52 then lost a large chunk of my 401K in the 2008-2009 years.
My racing stopped for the most part until I found a way to get a check every time I go to the track.
I went to work part time for NHRA, which is no big payday but has all the benefits of going racing except for the energy required to load up and race by myself.
I won't share my opinions about NHRA obviously but I am really glad to have met so many of the racers from coast to coast and have travelled all over the country with my room and travel paid for.
I still race from time to time and love being out there. I'll be in Indy to work the US Nationals. I'll be on a scooter parking racers and calling classes in the pits.
Maybe I'll see you there, and I'll be earning my $7.25 an hour hanging out at the races.
I can't stay away because this addiction has no cure!

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 991 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Good Morning DT:

You guys never get enough credit for all the hard work you put in, so from one of us THANK YOU!

Bob

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It truly is my pleasure even though it gets a little tough to deal with. Wink

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 991 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
DT, most of these guys that biotch couldn’t run a Girl Scout bake sale

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post