Find
Notify
Tools

GM going EV
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
If GM delivers this Hummer EV truck, close to what their cone heads depict, it’s going to be a game changer. 0-60 in 3 sec for a stock truck is quick.
I can’t wait for GM to also roll out a low cost EV for commuters.
I also hope GM succeeds in its transformation, joining Tesla in building reliable EV cars and trucks.
https://youtu.be/MjMhZKmHKGk

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Remind me again how this is better for the environment.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6376 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
GM, Ford and Chrysler cannot produce a reliable fossil fuel product and one that doesn't rust in 5 years (Chrysler). People are dreaming that BIG 3 EV vehicles are going to be any different.

Posts: 497 | Location: N/A | Registered: December 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Will be awesome to take road trips in those EV's. Drive them till the battery drains, then sit somewhere for 6 or 8 hours while it recharges. I can hardly wait.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Losing proposition for all three. Last GM hybrids were sold at lower cost than the build. Who makes up the difference? We or the Feds? The grids are not going to take this..Especially here.. Wait; Tuesday and Wed are brown outs , we have to divert power to EV Stations..Not!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Someday the technology will be there to produce an affordable, reliable EV with a good range and quick charge time (I doubt it will be in my lifetime).

Until then I'll stick with burning up dead Dinosaurs.......thank you very much.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day, these companies can produce whatever they want. If the consumer doesn't want it, it won't matter what they're producing. Until a company can produce an electric truck that can tow my race trailer 400 miles, charge up in 10 minutes or so, and go another 400 miles in various weather conditions...I am uninterested.

Also, with the power issues we just had a few months ago, the power grid needs serious updates to accommodate all of these vehicles charging.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gm says it will be totally ev by 2035

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The biggie is toxic battery technology and how to deal with it. Reverse Technology first but nooo..build it then oh shyt now what.. the public can for it!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until then I'll stick with burning up dead Dinosaurs

Man, must of been a lot of Dinosaurs back in the day....LOL

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The Big Three are going electric solely because they are going after massive taxpayer-funded government subsidies. You can take that to the bank. Not only subsidies to build EV's, but subsidies to build the charging infrastructure necessary to sustain the EV's.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It might work for those of you in the concrete jungle, but for those of us that are out here in rural America, I don't see it even being a remote possibility.

On some of my routine travels I can drive for several hours and never see a power line.

We do have a couple charging stations in the county on Highway 101, however it's about an hours drive to them for many of the residents.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Easy to tell who didn’t take the 5 min to watch. What did they say about 10 min to charge the 1000hp Hummer EV?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
No one cares...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Easy to tell who didn’t take the 5 min to watch. What did they say about 10 min to charge the 1000hp Hummer EV?

And exactly what infrastructure will be required for that? The fact of the matter is that little of our electricity now comes from renewable sources. So to some extent, that electric hummer is a coal burner. Does that make it better than a gasoline engine in some way? Plus, there is no need to put the proverbial cart before the horse when it comes to EV's. Until we invest in massive infrastructure changes to our electric grid, changing most vehicles over to EV isn't practical.
The other fact is that many many people simple are not interested in EV's regardless of how hard the left pushes them. GM has virtue signalled on something they are unlikely to follow through on IMO. It would be suicide. If you want an EV, knock yourself out. Don't expect anyone else to be excited about it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6376 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

10 minutes for enough charge to go 100 miles on an 800v charger, I'm sure those will be available every 100 miles or less all over this country in no time......... Roll Eyes

Again, NO THANKS!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
100 miles of travel distance won't even get some folks to a charging station and back home around here.

I haven't seen anyone's figures on what happens to the mileage when you are running in 4WD low range crawling around in the mountains.

I just don't see this working out for a lot of folks. Even in the Northwest where we typically have enough electricity I don't see that there is enough extra for all of these charging stations.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

10 minutes for enough charge to go 100 miles on an 800v charger, I'm sure those will be available every 100 miles or less all over this country in no time......... Roll Eyes

Again, NO THANKS!

Huge grid for charging stations and we cannot fix the darn roads ! Not practical like the Bullet Train to Hollywood.

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested when they make one that sounds like an old 7.3 power stroke or a half healthy small block/big block gasser. Or for that matter they make a vehicle that shouldn't an embarrassment to everyone in their design department. Never owned or driven a non gm product except for a neighbors old 7.3 diesel until 3 years ago. I even felt guilty when we went and bought my wife's toyota but it was 6k cheaper than a comparable gm (suv with adaptive cruise that I could fit in the back seat of and also without a cvt transmission), 0% interest vs 4% for the chevy, and the build quality was so much nicer (keep in mind the toyota is still built a but as bad as my old cavalier) than the chevy that I wouldn't have hesitated to pay more for the toyota. I think that it's just a company needing a place to go. The Camaro isn't doing what they expected, I think the novelty of the new corvette wore off early, and now dodge is even competing with their trucks. I sum up gm's downward spiral with a comparison just between the interior quality of my 96 truck with their new trucks. The carpet at 25 years old is still nicer than they put in new trucks, the cloth seats look, sit and feel better than the ones in the new truck. Shoot the 96 with the 5.0 even got 24-25 mpg highway for me. I think at this point the only way I would say anything nice about gm is if they get around to reproducing factory parts to support those that represent their product with older vehicles or license production and provide exact oem specs to an aftermarket company. It won't happen but hey that's okay because if they flop again the government will surely give them some of my money against my will again anyway.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Watch out all you panic meisters! A Tesla went to the semis in Super Pro and the quarters in Pro yesterday at Sacramento

Posts: 81 | Location: Sacramento CA | Registered: November 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post