DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    SFG JEGS Half Million - LIVE COVERAGE & RESULTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFG JEGS Half Million - LIVE COVERAGE & RESULTS
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I see it at Orlando Speed World.

They had a good turnout for a 78% chance of rain at 2pm, 1st round at noon.

Everyone showed up - guaranteed money.

The creme rises to the top when times get tough.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
maybe one should guarantee what one is comfortable paying out with a subpar car count.

ep

Yes. Guarantee what you can actually pay. Not what you hope you can pay.

Everyone can say what they want about this being OK with the racers in attendance. However, every time a flyer states guaranteed on it going forward, many people are going to remember That time SFG said Guaranteed and didn't pay.

It's going to be tough to overcome for all promoters.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
Did SFG stop doing pre-entry only?
The RACERS are over the pre entry shyt…

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by muggs:
I may be a little out of line, seems car counts were not good. Promoter made a reasonable accomodation?

Been in that situation a few times, drivers meeting and show of hands seems reasonable accomodation to me.

In current economy, being able to race is great. How many times "bracket racing is dying".

Expect more adjustments under current chaos.

I will be at x-mas bash at BMP this year.

In that case, the flyer needs to say "purse based on car count" as opposed to "purse guaranteed."

I cannot disagree. Maybe a learning experience for promoter. Likely future races will have such a statement.

Home track has been doing for quite some time and I have no issue with it. Tracks are not non profits and see rising costs same as racers.

I just ran across a check covering 2 entries in a footbrake race in GA from 2006, promoter did not get enough pre entries and sent check back. As long as reasonable accomodations are made, I have no issue with changes due to diminished car counts. I appreciate the oppertunity to race in these times.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
I may be a little out of line, seems car counts were not good. Promoter made a reasonable accomodation?

Been in that situation a few times, drivers meeting and show of hands seems reasonable accomodation to me.

In current economy, being able to race is great. How many times "bracket racing is dying".

Expect more adjustments under current chaos.

I will be at x-mas bash at BMP this year.

In that case, the flyer needs to say "purse based on car count" as opposed to "purse guaranteed."

I cannot disagree. Maybe a learning experience for promoter. Likely future races will have such a statement.

Home track has been doing for quite some time and I have no issue with it. Tracks are not non profits and see rising costs same as racers.

I just ran across a check covering 2 entries in a footbrake race in GA from 2006, promoter did not get enough pre entries and sent check back. As long as reasonable accomodations are made, I have no issue with changes due to diminished car counts. I appreciate the oppurtunity to race in these times.

That's a proven loser right there - purse based on car count.

That'll kill it every time. Not enough people see it that way (appreciate the opportunity to race).

There's promoters licking their chops right now because they know they're fixing to take all the share.

They'll be the ones with the guaranteed money. Restructured possibly but guaranteed.

The racing is gonna get better on the track. The creme will rise to the top, always does.

Creme of de la creme

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of muggs
posted Hide Post
I see your point. Though I do tend to think may be the start of another cycle.

If I remember right, more big purse events started looking for pre-entries to produce higher purses. Then sponsors started to get on board and everything seemed to blossom. Promoters can do math and understand balancing the books. I am not sure schools teach that anymore. The question going forward will be can promoters get sponsor money? Can they get reliable car counts? Any promoter is taking a serious risk between car counts, weather, etc.

Who really knows what current economy will actually impact this?

Will be interesting to see. I am not alone in being someone who would race for a plastic trophy. Winning money is nice but me racing is not what feeds us. If I needed an ROI, I would get a job.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
None of the Millions have ever paid a Million.

Everyone wants the top line to be giant. Very few read the fine print.

So now we're back to "who blinks first"?
Racers won't show up if the purse isn't huge, and guaranteed, promoters can't promise what they can't deliver.
LOTS of things are out of control of the promoter, but EVERYTHING is under control of the racer.

The future of big bucks bracket racing is a betting system.
Racers entering the gate to exchange their money among themselves can only do so much.

Pari-mutual betting on bracket races round by round?
Action for everyone, and it would bring cheeks to the seats.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Still curious!
What was the offer to any racers that didn't want to race?
Full refund?
Were there racers that bailed out?

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

That's actually not true. The SFG 1.1 Million did, and the Great American team paid 1 Million in 2020 and 2021.

The progressive purses must be what you're referring to. (OG million and the Spring Fling Million)

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Race now because we'll all look back on 2022 as the good ol' days.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If he'd a paid it, he'd have gone exit stage left as a never forgotten big money bracket racing promoting legend.

I heard last night from someone who was there, that option was on the table.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Exit stage left official swan song.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
If he'd a paid it, he'd have gone exit stage left as a never forgotten big money bracket racing promoting legend.

From your babble, did I correctly gather that he said he'll pay it, but if he did, the game was over for him???? Confused

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
quote:

That's actually not true. The SFG 1.1 Million did, and the Great American team paid 1 Million in 2020 and 2021.

The progressive purses must be what you're referring to. (OG million and the Spring Fling Million)

Correct, I was referring to the OG George Howard Millions Cool

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

From your babble, did I correctly gather that he said he'll pay it, but if he did, the game was over for him???? Confused

Kyle did speak during the winner's circle celebration and that is essentially what he said there.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks!
So that just leaves me still wondering about the PRE RACE options racers were offered, and how many opted out.??

So far I can't see any reason to think less of the SFG races.

If my math is correct, he'd have been 75 entries short of what he needed to cover.
Considering the unforseen since the event was scheduled last year, I'd say that downturn of entries pretty well matches the current inflationary reality of 25% PLUS inflation in day to day needs, and the 50% to 100% plus increases in racing related costs.

I'll invite anyone who wants to bash Kyle and the program to get a calculator and run the numbers. It WILL make your brain bleed trying to make the numbers work.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He didn’t hear it from someone that was there. He heard it in Luke and Jarreds podcast. They said they heard from people that were there that in the drivers meeting he gave 2 options. One was to pay as advertised but it essentially would break him and he may not do another race. The other was to pay $350k which was pretty much everything he took in.

Take a listen. It was a good episode. Lots of WFC coverage and of course their discussion on the SFG event… including “house cars”.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I sure hope all this support and good will about purse issues spills over on to the local track bracket programs/track operators. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
quote:
quote:

He didn’t hear it from someone that was there. He heard it in Luke and Jarreds podcast. They said they heard from people that were there that in the drivers meeting he gave 2 options. One was to pay as advertised but it essentially would break him and he may not do another race. The other was to pay $350k which was pretty much everything he took in.

Take a listen. It was a good episode. Lots of WFC coverage and of course their discussion on the SFG event… including “house cars”.

Thanks.
So there was no refund option and / or nobody wanted to bail out??

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Goob

I don’t believe they said if there was a refund option or not. They did say that the word was there were a few people that wanted the full purse paid.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post