DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Something about old muscle cars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something about old muscle cars
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
There is sopmething about old muscle cars that the new stuff even if faster just cannot equal.

A buddy stopped byt today needing some help with his 1969 427( well 489)Chevelle that we hpped up a while back. After cpl hours tuning on
the holley injection and ignition system. He said lets try her out and threw me the keys(might be regretting now). So we took her out and I let her eat. Something about the sound and feel as you row thru the gears just can not be equaled. He seemed for be about to shyt a brick when the speedometer ran out of numbers before the 3-4 shift. I did lift some where about 3/4 the way in 4th. Hey I built it and I trust me.Plus if I broke it I can fix it.

He should have known better.LMAO But damn it was fun. oh well, back to work on the zoomies I promised to have out next week.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not true and only old men think so. I’ll take a new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger every time and it will piss all over any original or restored muscle car from the 60s/70s and it will do it with the A/C on!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Know what you are saying Chris!
I built a 67 Camaro 427 Fast EFI for a good buddy. The passenger seat tuning is no fun! Making him do a 6pt cage , I did the frame connect and Caltracs, all new race discs and steering.
I’m sure it’s a low 11 car as it sets.. good fuel and tuning prob high 10. Scary street car. For a rookie… I might add..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have sold my last drag race build and am officially retired from racing. This is my next project

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
53 body for sale Winston- Salem NC Craigs list $3500. A 53 Hawk was on there somewhere this morning-cheap.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When I drive my 67 Corvette people give me thumbs up, take pictures and you do not get the same response from new cars.

Yes, new cars are fast, stop better, corner better, quieter, air conditioning, better radios but they just do not have the same effect on people.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Edited for correctness..

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
When I drive my 67 Corvette old white people give me thumbs up

Yes, new cars are fast, stop better, corner better, quieter, air conditioning, better radios but they just do not have the same effect on old white people.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Edited for correctness..

quote:

Yes, new cars are fast, stop better, corner better, quieter, air conditioning, better radios but they just do not have the same effect on old white people.

And?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Edited for correctness..

quote:

And?

Yeah I don’t get it either?
The Camaro I built for my buddy just passed 10k miles. It has all new suspension parts, brakes , big sway control , AC, overdrive etc. They have a new 450 hp Mustang but preference is the Camaro cause it turns heads , sounds better than a Tahiti 455 jet boat and its comfortable.
Next……

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
sounds kind of racist to say that old white people like muscle car meaning non old non white people like newer stuff? Almost like a water melon or fried chicken statement about car choices.

Funniest part is the old white guy saying it. Seems to be turning more lefty/ Those mean old white men.

Yes I am one of those old white men that likes sound and feel of muscle car. So f--king what?

Which is fastest,has more comforts was not part of statement about old muscle cars. It was the sound and feel of them. Should have mentioned the head turning power. Heck, a C2 Vette will almost cause whiplash where as a new C8 will get a look, Then how many c2's do you see on street vs c8? Hell I would trade a 67 427 Vette for the highest-priced C8 they sell. Then that would be my choice which I do not need anyone's permission to make or their approval of it. Hell Iwish I was only one who liked them,the prices would be lot lower. Judging by the market prices they bring a lot of folks must agree.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think Ed may have just given my ego a HUGE boost. When I am tooling down I-95 or heading east on 64, and all those pretty young things honk, wave, and/or give me a thumbs up, it ISN'T about my 1967 Camaro! It has got to be about ME. Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
I think Ed may have just given my ego a HUGE boost. When I am tooling down I-95 or heading east on 64, and all those pretty young things honk, wave, and/or give me a thumbs up, it ISN'T about my 1967 Camaro! It has got to be about ME. Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

Mic Drop!
There ya go!

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's the young chics that dig the muscle cars.

Muscle cars are in huge demand/market.

This one was built by a guy in Maschusetts asthe story goes by a guy killing time on Covid lockdown. He knew what he was doing.

It came with a 250 hp sbc, ran perfect, no power, vintage air conditioning, 4 speed.

It has power now, probably too much power. Hopefully it doesn't end up wrapped around a pole.

The guy who owns it now has a guy begging to give him $90,000 for it after flying in from NC to hear the new Big Block engine run & test drive.

This was a Big Block I was building for myself, it's pretty decent. Has a few extra's... billet cam core, ported intake manifold, compression.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wanted to tune the power down a little with a Comp Cams 11-450-8, which is a nice sounding cam fitting of a muscle car, but I ran out of time, couldn't find anyone who had one.

This is the Clay Smith hydraulic roller camshaft the engine was designed around. These cams make power with decent flowing cylinder heads. Revs like a sbc, better.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
it is clapping pretty cool to be a old white person too

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is a 11-450-8 Comp Cam single pattern hydraulic roller cam. I made probably 100 low to second gear rips on this car tuning the Quick fuel duel feed double pumper carb. Killer 427-454 muscle car cam for a dual plane intake manifold.

The black tracks follow you in the rear view mirror.

I still have a GearVender overdrive for this car here, the car got crashed within a month of its owner taking it home.

It's the young chics that love muscle cars, trust me I know, I drove this around for a month tweaking it, after doing up a BBC 427 for it.

This car was bought out of Canada, same deal nicely restored, but no power.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I have sold my last drag race build and am officially retired from racing. This is my next project

Good for you Larry.
On to bigger and better things!

On old Muscle Cars, I would not buy a car that tries ( and Chevy missed) to look like the original ones did.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
These cars suck BAD with no power.

With power all the sqeaks and rattles blend in with the sound of the camshaft perfectly.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is pretty cool to be a old white person too

Nothing better. The whole world aspires to be one, or at least what we built.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Well, it happened again this afternoon. Just a few miles from home, this time. I pulled up to a stop sign to turn right. A minivan started inching up next to me to turn left. There really wasn't enough room to do it, but they did it anyway. Then it happened. The short tap of the horn. I looked over and I was getting a very enthusiastic thumbs up from a ...wait for it... black guy !

Uh oh. I just realized. It might not have been about the Camaro. It might have been that he was actually attracted to me...and I had given him a thumbs up right back. Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post