DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Something about old muscle cars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something about old muscle cars
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I sold my 1970 SS 454 Chevelle. It was a survivor with two build sheets. Had 17 years of fun, but after a while it’s pretty boring going to the same car shows over and over. Also, the fun of flogging late model junk on the roads got to be boring.
So few appreciate cars like this now. It’s now in a collector’s museum.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The thing with my Corvette is you do not want to let it get out of your sight. It is more or less irreplaceable. Not like you can just go to Chevy and get another.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How did this happen, My brother has a 70 black w/white stripes LS 6 454 SS Chevelle. It has only 13,00mi on it and I have a 65 tri power 4spd GTO with 19,000mi on it. We both bought them new. And now days I drive a Mercedes and he drives a Lincoln. But its fun to get the old ones out and light up the tires once in awhile.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
53 body for sale Winston- Salem NC Craigs list $3500. A 53 Hawk was on there somewhere this morning-cheap.
There were no Hawks in'53.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The old muscle cars have a cool factor that isn't replicated with the modern muscle cars.
I've had several mid 60's muscle cars and enjoyed them for what they were but I sold the last one a year ago and, frankly, I don't miss it. I don't miss the frequent maintenance, searching for hard to find, expensive parts that wear out or get damaged, the uncomfortable, unsafe driving experience, the lousy mileage, etc.
I like my Cadillac CTS-V coupe which is faster, safer, more reliable, more comfortable and superior in every respect than any old muscle car ever dreamt of. And I get plenty of thumbs up from the young chicks.
P.S. I am in my 80's so....

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
The old muscle cars have a cool factor that isn't replicated with the modern muscle cars.
I've had several mid 60's muscle cars and enjoyed them for what they were but I sold the last one a year ago and, frankly, I don't miss it. I don't miss the frequent maintenance, searching for hard to find, expensive parts that wear out or get damaged, the uncomfortable, unsafe driving experience, the lousy mileage, etc.
I like my Cadillac CTS-V coupe which is faster, safer, more reliable, more comfortable and superior in every respect than any old muscle car ever dreamt of. And I get plenty of thumbs up from the young chicks.

Wait. This coming from someone who calls themselves "SS427IMP" ?! Are you getting ready to announce you now "identify" as "CTS-V CAD"? Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

SS427IMP…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
SSImp sorry about the Hawk mistake. I have had enough "muscle" cars to sink the Queen Mary. Some I wish I still had but I also wish I was 16 once more but I have been lucky enough to afford them so I had them. But life goes on and folks forget the sound of a Tri power opening or the pride of having a 348 tri power 4spd 58 impala convert at 17-18 years old. I spent all my money on cars, at least most of it. In my 80s now its fun to look back at the long road traveled rather than the short road ahead. BUT I am still racing when I want with a 65 "muscle" car!

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:

Wait. This coming from someone who calls themselves "SS427IMP" ?! Are you getting ready to announce you now "identify" as "CTS-V CAD"? Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington

Hmmm...not a bad idea.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Lets not forget old truck. Even better when you combine the two. My 69 panle truck is blast to drive. Mild 454 nothing more than mild thumping cam with headers and 3" duals.

I get more question about welding up a suburban or what is that. Origanly bought new by grandfather for 3500,sold for 9800 in 1977,bought back in 1992 in rough shape and 1/4 a$$ body work. I rebuilt ening for him. When he passed it became mine and rebiui;t for me. ZReworking the body work the right way and decking inside out.

Figure will make grat show having a 1969 Panel truck towing a FED open trailer to nostalgia event or show. The fun of looks on folks faces when they new bumble sounding pos gets passed like they arfe sitting still is priceless.Folks reactions are worth a lot,but driving it is just fun.

Hexk I liike driving anyth9ing nwith power new or old and yea comfort nice,but still ove the rumble and engine sounds of old school muscle.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
SSImp sorry about the Hawk mistake. I have had enough "muscle" cars to sink the Queen Mary. Some I wish I still had but I also wish I was 16 once more but I have been lucky enough to afford them so I had them. But life goes on and folks forget the sound of a Tri power opening or the pride of having a 348 tri power 4spd 58 impala convert at 17-18 years old. I spent all my money on cars, at least most of it. In my 80s now its fun to look back at the long road traveled rather than the short road ahead. BUT I am still racing when I want with a 65 "muscle" car!

Fern, I get it and I'm glad for you.
But I'm just a little older than you and one morning recently I woke up and my body told me I was too old for all the labor intensive work required to race my old Impala so I did an assessment of my racing situation and wound up with my current all purpose ride.
Now I arrive at the track in luxury and comfort in my 640 hp Cadillac with either the heat or AC on, my leather seat either cooled or heated and my Bose stereo blasting out my favorite tunes from 12 speakers.
My between round maintenance consists of checking tire pressure and supervising my buddies while they slave over their muscle cars and pour $13/gal. race fuel in.
At the end of the day, while you're laying on your back on the greasy floor of your race trailer, strapping down your muscle car, I'm on my way home in the same luxury and comfort as when I arrived and my 'race car' is getting 21 mpg.
While I was at the track the win light was just as bright and the friends were the same.
When I get home, wife and I drive 'race car' to dinner at a nice place and valet parks it up front.
I don't need a race trailer or the truck to pull it.
No more chassis or belt re-certs.
On the down side, I don't get birthday cards from the local speed shop anymore.
Hey, I hope you don't mind me rubbing it in and having a little fun with this post but I couldn't resist!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
He just locked this thread down, clapping nothing left to say, there is no rebuttal.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Fern, I get it and I'm glad for you.
But I'm just a little older than you and one morning recently I woke up and my body told me I was too old for all the labor intensive work required to race my old Impala so I did an assessment of my racing situation and wound up with my current all purpose ride.
Now I arrive at the track in luxury and comfort in my 640 hp Cadillac with either the heat or AC on, my leather seat either cooled or heated and my Bose stereo blasting out my favorite tunes from 12 speakers.
My between round maintenance consists of checking tire pressure and supervising my buddies while they slave over their muscle cars and pour $13/gal. race fuel in.
At the end of the day, while you're laying on your back on the greasy floor of your race trailer, strapping down your muscle car, I'm on my way home in the same luxury and comfort as when I arrived and my 'race car' is getting 21 mpg.
While I was at the track the win light was just as bright and the friends were the same.
When I get home, wife and I drive 'race car' to dinner at a nice place and valet parks it up front.
I don't need a race trailer or the truck to pull it.
No more chassis or belt re-certs.
On the down side, I don't get birthday cards from the local speed shop anymore.
Hey, I hope you don't mind me rubbing it in and having a little fun with this post but I couldn't resist!

Nothing wrong with fun.It is all in point of veiw ane regardless what some here think everyone is entitled to one and they do not have to agree.You can disagree respectfully w/o being *******. SS427 IMP just proved taht it is possible. Maybe other will learn a new trick. Taking bets and I have the will not happen side.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well said. Not much work to do on my race car but I need something to do and thats about all I got. Be hard to drive 500 to 1000mi to a 5 day race in my Mercedes then get a motel, find a place to eat, or eat that slop they call food at most race tracks,and invite friends in for a cool one. But I cruise on down taking as long as I wish in my motor home and I am loving life. Thing is for me I got to do all the fun stuff when I was young not trying to do it now when I am old--and trust me, I have had some fun, been broke, been in jail, don't know how I made it this far in this good of shape. I even raced with Ed some, but he don't remember me. Muscle cars, the good old days.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agree.
Life is good for us geezers as long as we have decent health.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I agree modern cars have old cars beat for reliability, technology, comfort, etc, can drive from coast to coast and back multiple times over and not skip a beat. But I much prefer the looks of old cars. The Mustang and Challenger look ok, but there were so many cool different cars back then. Sure, the GM A bodies were similar looking to each other, as were the Cuda/Challenger, Road Runner/Super Bee, etc, but that allowed for personal preference.

SS427, well played! Smile

Paul, agreed, not as many appreciate cars like these now.

Larry, cool, I hope you enjoy the build! And I hope you post some pics along the way.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I love driving my old cars, and don't give a **** what anyone else thinks of it. I don't drive them to impress others - I just enjoy it.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Plug this in a 60's pump gas Muscle Car Camaro, Nova, Chevelle.

You'll fall in love driving it.

It's the twin to the one I did in the white 70 Nova SS, only it has 11:1 compression and a 6.385 long rod. 468 BBC

Clay Smith Hydraulic roller

Nice unit

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post