DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Thieves strike once more
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thieves strike once more
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
My friend and I raced at Rockingham a week ago and while he and his wife were up in the lanes to run round 5 someone ransacked his motor home stealing his wifes purse containing money, credit cards, meds, etc. Also took her blood pressure machine. Not many people were there at the time and a RV with some suspicious people left while they were gone. Seems these things only happen at special events where we don't know everyone. Darn shame.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
That sucks. That is why I try to park with friends, we all stay until the last one of us is out, whether we all stink it up 1st round or make it to the final!

I don't like going to other tracks and not park with people I know, especially if we are running in the same class and no one is left back at our trailers.

I remember what happened when DePascale caught the guy in his trailer a year or so ago, that was great!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Wasn't he shaking the thief's hand and the guy fell down or something like that?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There were few of us left. I was down dumping my motor home tanks. His stuff was kind of off by its self and the friends that were near by were looking the other way at the track. I guess you race somewhere 30+ years you feel safe.....its usually not the racers. A few years back they got in mine at Zmax, didn't get anything but cleaned up on down the line I was parked in.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I know I've been on my soap box before and it pisses some folks off that I post these things when something bad happens. Sorry about that but these posts where someone has stuff stolen always reminds me.

Take some precautions folks!! A small safe bolted in some hard to get at place doesn't cost much and while it might not stop a really determined thief with plenty of time in this instance it would have worked.

Layered protection for your trailer and truck are the key along with insurance. Lock your stuff up when you go to the lanes. Yes, it's a pain in the a-z-z. Do it anyway!

Put a hidden GPS in your trailer. They're about 275 bucks. How much is all your stuff worth? Skip going to one race and you've paid for it.

If you can't afford an onboard fire extinguishing system in your trailer at least carry a couple of extinguishers in the truck and be sure you have the keys to open the trailer door if something catches fire. There are systems out there that will alert you to smoke in your trailer. Get one!!

If you have a home alarm system see about having it tied into your trailer. Bottom line, do SOMETHING before you suffer a loss!

Off my soap box now.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Fern. Sorry about your buddies stuff. I hate thieves.

I just put a locking side latch on my enclosed. I did it just to hold the a/c in. I didn't think I was ever going to use the lock. Guess I better start.

Posts: 64 | Location: south carolina | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Don't think we need to worry about racers Mark, its the riff raff that shows up to these special events----you would think that I would lock up after they got in mine at Zmax but I don't, its a pain in the a$$.....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Remember when you could go to starting line with trailer open tools all around and stuff on table and all was there when you got back?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There was another trailer fire the other day. A gentleman with a roadster. It started from up front in the trailer, not the golf cart this time. He got very lucky that it wasn't a total loss. Sad to see.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bob Nance
posted Hide Post
We are used to being around good people and forget that there are thieves out there that would steal from their grandma...

Posts: 28 | Location: Napa, Ca | Registered: January 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's what I have done to monitor the trailer while in route. I installed a wireless back-up camera in the trailer and the video portion on the dash. Made a bunch of trips after installation. You know if anything comes loose or fire. The only thing with the Boyo set-up I bought is that I must leave a light on in the trailer so the camera can see.

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chuck O when I saw you had a respnoce on this topic I was sure it was going to include Shotguns and booby traps .... LOL Well you do live out in the wilderness not to far from Congress Arizona and I know some crazies out in that neck of the desert.... Haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You got that right< Nik. Congress has some "not so good people"

Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
how did thieves turn in to burning trailers? I was talking about motor homes being ransacked and robbed

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Fern must of been a thief trying to cover his tracks with fire. HMMMM

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Fern I just went with the flow..... not my fault, but I'll that the blame . I'm far enough away from you I don't think you can hit me from there....Haha

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Trust me Mr Green---Fern is no thief. I can't even steal a round now and then. Don't worry Nick all is good. Just kind of sad that we can't even trust our stuff at the track anymore. Talked to the friend yesterday and they got all the credit cards stopped and as far as they know other then the contents of his wifes purse and her meds all they got was $40----They got lucky.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
all they got was $40

Just enough for the evening crack fix.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4450 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Fern, its the nature of the culture we live in, the problem is today a lot of individuals have very little respect for others (not all but some). I'm an open trailer racer so every round everything is locked down or locked in the truck . I always park around other friends so we all can watch each others stuff. Its a sad way to live but I really don't want to replace what I already purchased because someone else see's a quick opportunity to get some easy cash.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t calling Fern a thief. Fern just asked how The topic went from thief to fire and being the smart ass I am made a wise crack that maybe the thief was burning any evidence he left. Sorry if I offended anybody on here.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post