DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    US Army to discontinue sponsorship of DSR and NHRA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Army to discontinue sponsorship of DSR and NHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:
long over due, giving tax payer money to a guy that is worth over $500,000,000

Far from DSR fan,but what does his worth have to do with rather they are getting money's worth out of promotional sponsorship or not?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
IMO the money has always been about advertisement/recruitment of solders. The ROI must have been descent, they dumped NASCAR several years ago but kept the NHRA on a year to year deal.

Besides, what would you rather see, the Army spend 5 million on a 30 sec commercial during the super bowl or give DSR/NHRA 5 million for a years worth of exposure and interaction with young recruits in the pits?

Exactly. Lets say they spend 5 mill a year. How much tv time would that buy vs how much tv time they get along with any other exposure? If they get 8 million in exposure then they had great deal .If they got 3 million worth then they need to spend money else where.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not winning rounds equates to no advertising exposure which equates to no sponsorship. It's all about the money......period. They do it for $$$ we do it for fun. If we win money great but that just adds to the fun.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On Facebook Tony claimed 47% of recruits came from their program. If that is true that is a fantastic roi. The money will be spent one way or another, it’s the recruiting budget. If individuals aren’t attracted to volunteer for the military then the only alternative would be a draft to fulfill the military’s manpower needs.I personally would prefer volunteers vs. draftees for our national defense...

Posts: 69 | Location: area 51 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
47% really. Tony said it on Facebook....must be true. Didn't Facebook say that Hillary would win 1,000,000% to 1%. If it was 47% I guarantee the Army sponsorship wouldn't be leaving.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
47% really. Tony said it on Facebook....must be true. Didn't Facebook say that Hillary would win 1,000,000% to 1%. If it was 47% I guarantee the Army sponsorship wouldn't be leaving.

Believe what you want I did say “if it’s true”...bless your heart...

Posts: 69 | Location: area 51 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
47% is really high. 4.7% I would believe, c u in Vegas, bless your heart.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I hope THE SARGE doesn't end up with PTSD and have to go on Military disability.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southwest IOWA | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So will Papa John pull their sponsorship now after the latest news?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

I think they were already down to only 5 races as a Major sponsor since he was booted off the board of directors

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Losing sponsors in our sport is never a good thing.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MadMax4040
posted Hide Post
Army was doing a lot more than just sponsoring a car with this.

Their program at every national event(that I am aware of) would bring in hundreds of high school kids at every event every year (I went with my auto tech class first in 2004 which tells you how long this program has been going on). They would have their tent setup, do a seminar, get kids interested and use that as their recruiting tool. I know, for the 3 years I went directly with my class, 2 or 3 kids from each year enlisted post graduation either directly through that program or indirectly due to the interest garnered from the program.

I don't know about 47%, but as far as the Dallas national was concerned in the mid 2000's I saw first hand there were potentially hundreds of kids who they reached just on that one weekend a year. I obviously haven't kept up with it in the last 10+ years so I don't know what the rate is now or even if my HS Alma-Mater goes to the track during the national anymore.

Posts: 27 | Location: Frisco, Tx | Registered: February 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who was very high up in the Army around 10-12 years ago that said the Army was extremely happy with DSR, and the the program was very successful. Maybe the times have changed and the Army needs to find recruits elsewhere.

It was a great run for sure..

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Army out at DSR.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a new sponsor.

Navy? Smile

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

I think they were already down to only 5 races as a Major sponsor since he was booted off the board of directors

Which is BS.

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeB4963:
$50 Million for DSR and JFR?
Where did that number come from?
It was pulled from Full Moon

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post