DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    US Army to discontinue sponsorship of DSR and NHRA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Army to discontinue sponsorship of DSR and NHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted
https://www.dragracecentral.co...NHRA-SUMMIT#indextop

Whoa!!! I honestly didn’t see this coming. Now what??

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of p7050
posted Hide Post
With all the budget cuts it was going to happen sooner or later, looks like one of there dragster or funny car drivers will be looking for a new job next year.

Posts: 100 | Location: Radcliff, KY | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
It was a year to year deal and been going on for dang near 20 years I think. Was bound to happen

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
long over due, giving tax payer money to a guy that is worth over $500,000,000

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
"The NHRA Mello Yello Series reaches millions of fans each year at its 24 national events which are each broadcast on FOX Sports. We've had seven sellout days so far this season and all of our metrics are up. We are excited about NHRA's future and look forward to welcoming new partners to our sport."

Wow 7 sell-outs and 1/2 way thru the season yea NHRA is going to the top, just like NASCAR. Roll Eyes

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:
long over due, giving tax payer money to a guy that is worth over $500,000,000

Yeah, just GIVING the guy money for nothing. No wonder he has so much of it! Roll Eyes

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
long overdue IMO. taxpayer money to sponsor a rich dude or a greedy not for profit ( that makes me laugh even typing it) never did sit well with me.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It all comes down to return on investment and I think the cost to run a competitive team is way over priced and that is not good for anyone.

For the Sponsors how could they possibly get their moneys worth to sponsor a team?

For the racers it cost so much to run a team very few even try.

The spectators want to see a full field, good racing and do not want it to cost an arm and a leg.

For the NHRA they are killing the golden goose by ripping everyone off for every penny they can.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How much did DSR score from the Army deal each year??

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
All the "featured soldier" and other military tribute things at professional sports games are not the leagues and teams being supportive. Those are paid marketing programs by the military.

Be happy they chose to spend a bunch of that money in drag racing and saw enough value to stick with it for many years.

I don't think The Don was holding them hostage for that money.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think one of two things will happen. Tony will call it a career at the end of this season or bye bye Leah or Antron. Preferably Leah as her head has gotten quite large lately.

Posts: 7 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m1979:
I think one of two things will happen. Tony will call it a career at the end of this season or bye bye Leah or Antron. Preferably Leah as her head has gotten quite large lately.

But she is easy on the eyes....

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
very very true

Posts: 7 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Tony was talking retirement last year to spend more time with the family.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
Tony was talking retirement last year to spend more time with the family.

I bet working 3 days a week, 24 weeks out of the year is a real pain Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
Originally posted by m1979:

But she is easy on the eyes....

Not easy enough. Her attitude is unattractive IMO.
I'm glad that the advertising dollars were spent where they were. But frankly, I would prefer that they didn't spend, nor collect that money from taxpayers in the first place. How about giving me my money back and letting me spend it on my own racing operation....or however I want....or letting me not spend it?

I have no hate of Tony. He has never struck me as smug nor entitled. It's none of my business how much or little he works nor how much or little money he has. He's never been an embarrassment as a representative of our sport.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t be suprised if they announced the new sponsor at Indy

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
IMO the money has always been about advertisement/recruitment of solders. The ROI must have been descent, they dumped NASCAR several years ago but kept the NHRA on a year to year deal.

Besides, what would you rather see, the Army spend 5 million on a 30 sec commercial during the super bowl or give DSR/NHRA 5 million for a years worth of exposure and interaction with young recruits in the pits?

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Besides, what would you rather see, the Army spend 5 million on a 30 sec commercial during the super bowl or give DSR/NHRA 5 million for a years worth of exposure and interaction with young recruits in the pits?

Not the same thing, the Super Bowl has hundreds of millions of viewers for the game. NHRA does not have 10% that many the whole year. And someone said it is 50 million per year for each of the Force and Shoemaker cars. Do not know exactly how much Army was paying but I suspect considerably more than 5 million a year. And it does come down to ROI.

I think it is a symptom of how the NHRA has been treating, racers, sponsors and spectators for so long. If you are going to charge them out the @ZZ at least act like you want them there.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
$50 Million for DSR and JFR?
Where did that number come from?

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post