DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Upcoming Topeka Race weather?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Topeka Race weather?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Dirtdobber and I are entered in Topeka for next weekend's race. Anyone from up that direction with a recommendation? From the weather reports it doesn't look great.

I realize that it's our call but down here when it says 50% chance of rain you might get some but I know up there if it says 50% then you're probably going to get wet at some point.

I'm about as worried with the drive through Oklahoma and so forth just to get there.

Anyone??

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as an accurate forecast for 7+ days out. Even looking at a forecast on Wednesday of race week is a toss-up.

This is why long-range forecasts are garbage:
https://youtu.be/PrPYeu3GRLg?t=89

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5735 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I get you Michael but we have to make the decision by Monday. If we don't withdraw then we will lose our entry. At least I can transfer it by then to Dallas or Vegas.

I was just hoping someone up that direction would give me a little insight. We will watch the weather closely and make the call Sunday afternoon.

I would love to go, never raced in Topeka. Our plans were to run there and come straight back to Denver for the divisional. If we don't go we'll run our local track and then head to Denver.

Be safe out there everyone!

Posts: 5316 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
I understand, but it is not scientifically possible for anyone to give you an accurate weekend forecast on Monday, and any "insight" that anyone gives you is not going to be any better of a guess. You're just going to have to make up your own mind.

Personally, 50% doesn't even register with me. We've had WAY too many "80%" and "90%" days that we've raced with no problem. One local track postponed Sunday to Monday because of a bad forecast, and they had no rain after about 7AM. Just yesterday, it was "60%" all day long here: no rain. They can't get a forecast right on the same day, let alone a week out! Every once in awhile, the Weather Entertainment people guess right, so people still pay attention to them.

If you want to go racing, go racing!

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5735 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just go, 50% in the forecast is most likely the standard forecast for that area this far in advance. Topeka is a awesome track, hard to find a nicer facility.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
On a positive note they did take out the word “extreme” from the thunderstorm forecast for Saturday. LOL

I get it guys, we’ll make the call Sunday. Was hoping someone from the area would say “well, the pits are only half flooded now but by the time you drive two days to get here we should be under water.” Stop

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Big Steve is right, it is an awesome place to race.
It is that time of year, things can get ugly.
If you decide not to go, consider the Div 5 double header in July. That is always an awesome event, that is if you like 175 cars in your category.

For you, the Denver National and the Topeka Double Header would be a great trip.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That's exactly what we were planning. Run Topeka National next weekend, back to Denver for Divisional. Leave cars at my friend's house till Denver National and then Topeka and home. Hopefully it will still work out.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
With all of the track drying equipment,the race will be completed.Might not be until Monday for Sportsman.

If you don't have to be back at work for Monday,then by all means,race the event.

One good thing about Topeka is that most of the pits are all paved,so no issues like what happened at RT66 this past weekend.

It usually always rains in Topeka,but it "usually" is not an all day kind of rain.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Didn’t watch the Route 66 race. I’m assuming it rained a lot? As of right now we are planning on going to Topeka. I’m retired and we’re headed back to Denver instead of home so no big deal on Monday.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Didn’t watch the Route 66 race.

Due to the tremendous amount of rain,a lot of Sportsman racers were forced to park at the Nascar track.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Better go now. It will be closing soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Better go now. It will be closing soon.

What will be closing? The Nascar track or Rt 66 dragstrip?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think he means Topeka will be closing.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
FYI.....

Anyone making the haul from Joliet to Topeka, heads up on the high water issues.
I-72 / US36 between Springfield IL and Kansas City is closed in 2 areas due to high water/flooding.
The Mississipi river is pushing its boundaries around ST Louis and the Illinois side could have some flooding issues as well, affecting routes through St Louis.
I-80 west to Des Moines and then south on I-35
Looks like it might be best bet.
Please share!.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Started trying to withdraw and the NHRA website is not working. Called and sent an email. Hopefully they got it. LOL

To all you guys and gals going to Topeka good luck. Please be safe out there. Maybe we'll see some of you the next week in Denver. Gotta get back in the shop and finish changing converters!

DRR Trophy
Picture of TD5023
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Didn’t watch the Route 66 race.

Due to the tremendous amount of rain,a lot of Sportsman racers were forced to park at the Nascar track.

Honestly, parking at the circle track wasn't bad at all. Yeah, it was a long tow, but they made sure to keep us in the loop and amazingly, the tower radio feed came in clear. It definitely beat dealing with the mud pit, where you were probably 75% likely to get stuck. Unless you had to drive a small fuel cell car to the lanes, I don't know why anyone would have chosen to park there.

Posts: 33 | Location: Davenport, IA | Registered: April 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I am really surprised at the number of withdrawals,particularly in Stock Eliminator.

The event quota was 60 and it was at 66 at one time.It closed at 48.

Lots of people not liking the Topeka forecast,which looked to be getting worse in the last day or so,but now improving.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
I saw this posted of facebook.

RACER NOTICE of TOPEKA ROAD CONDITIONS:
Gary Ormsby Drive West of Topeka Blvd. & 77th St. has some very LARGE potholes that will be repaired starting on the 10th. If you can, please use Topeka Blvd, as you will not want large rigs traveling over that area.

Thank you and we hope this helps avoid any problems!

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Looks like the weather for the weekend is gonna be okay in Topeka. Just wasn't willing to do the 1500 mile round trip and chance it.

Good luck to everyone there and especially my friend Randy Taylor in Factory Stock. Kick their butts Rando!!

Hope to see some of you in Denver next weekend for the Divisional.