DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Who Invented Bracket Racing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Invented Bracket Racing?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Speaking of age, I am working on being 72 and have been drag racing since around 1963, thus, around 55 years. So I am a walking history book of North East Texas drag racing. Many experiences, many lessons, many great memories.

Some things of note; I have learned many things that improve performance and about as many things that do not make much difference, and some that do not work.

Some of you may have had this same experience, I learn, I improve, I win, then for whatever reason I get lost and must relearn. Just go figger Smile

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
When they legalized delay boxes in NHRA Div. 1, the first year they ran a variance in the top bulb. Jim Harrington won the Bracket Finals in Tom Dauber's dragster, blocking the top two bulbs with his left hand and leaving off the bottom with his right hand, then grabbing the steering wheel as he left!

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5736 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Jimmy did use his free hand to block the tree a lot back then.

I used the same technique to block my opponents side of the tree and to block them from coming into my line of sight if they left first. That was my best way of footbrake racing. I close one eye and that works for me better than anything else.

I tried blocking the top 2 bulbs with my free hand but did not feel comfortable doing that.

I think that free hand tree blocking technique became well known after Don Young from down south used it successfully and got some press coverage.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Speaking of age, I am working on being 72 and have been drag racing since around 1963, thus, around 55 yearsSmile

Rookie! I started in 1956 in So. Cal.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Woodfin is correct. It was Pappy Parker at Lions that first came up with the idea. SCDIV1 you are a little late. The first NHRA Div 1 Bracket finals was held at York I think it was 1976. Anyway that year the winners were
Pro John DiBartolomeo
RU Jim Rainey
Heavy Mike Minno
RU Ronnie Martlock
Street Bruce Bowman
RU Joe Kienapple

The idea for the finals came from the United Bracket RAcers
I raced at the first one at York !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was in the tower----I swear the only vivid memory I have is of the 69 or so Mopar burning to the ground at the end of the track. SS427 you sound like a youngster Big Grin But maybe not as I think I started in 1957. SCDiv1 that Fiat belonged to Burnie Pyles. Sinke drove it and built the motors---he also rented a house from Burnie.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I was in the tower----I swear the only vivid memory I have is of the 69 or so Mopar burning to the ground at the end of the track. SS427 you sound like a youngster Big Grin But maybe not as I think I started in 1957. SCDiv1 that Fiat belonged to Burnie Pyles. Sinke drove it and built the motors---he also rented a house from Burnie.
Do you remember George Nye ?

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the answer is C.J. "Pappy" Hart AND Mickey Thompson.....while they were the managers of Lions Drag Strip!

Posts: 79 | Location: myrtle point ore | Registered: April 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yup, that's what I thought. I started drag racing in 1965 so maybe Pappy started bracket racing before that. Those were some fond memories. Obtw, Bob I'm a kid next to you......

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Dave Raser
posted Hide Post
I know that Carl bullock was one of the 'early pioneers' of bracket racing, here on the east coast. I ran at 75-80 back in the mid-70's .. when they used letters (AA, A, BB, B, c, d, etc.) to classify your e.t.'s. You'd win your class, then run-off with the other class winners for Top Dog (handicapped by your "class" (letter).

I also ran at the 1st bracket finals at York U.S.30 Dragway in 1976. I don't remember if they had Qualifying Stickers at the 1st one ..... but, I have one from the next year's (1977) ..... for some nostalgia .......

Dave

Posts: 1903 | Location: penna. | Registered: January 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Raser:
I know that Carl bullock was one of the 'early pioneers' of bracket racing, here on the east coast. I ran at 75-80 back in the mid-70's .. when they used letters (AA, A, BB, B, c, d, etc.) to classify your e.t.'s. You'd win your class, then run-off with the other class winners for Top Dog (handicapped by your "class" (letter).

I also ran at the 1st bracket finals at York U.S.30 Dragway in 1976. I don't remember if they had Qualifying Stickers at the 1st one ..... but, I have one from the next year's (1977) ..... for some nostalgia .......

Dave

I have some 1978 Division 1 Bracket Finals participant stickers on my car. I had been letting them rot on one of my toolboxes. Then I finally decided to do something with them. I sent one to Michael Beard and he did a fantastic job of restoring and replicating them. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I was mostly out of racing from 1971 to 1980

Started going back to events to spectate with my girlfriend on weekends....

Went to York, Maple Grove, Island, New England and ETown and was hot to get back in and really just bracket race.

I was at York around 1976 and went to Maple the next day.....Saw all the "hitters" of the day and some very cool cars.

I was infected bad by then and absolutely had to get back racing on my own...

I was back racing by 1980.....and got talked into running SS/JA for 2 years. A totally home built car.

Worked in an engine shop.....10+ years...

Couldn't cut it in Super Stock on my budget and was bracket racing and S/ST racing by 1982.

71 years old next week and I am not quitting unless I'm in a box....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Savoy and Larry Scarth I posted that a few days back. Lots of history here and as I read these posts on DRR a lot of miss information. I know the Rasers could write a history book on Div 1. Carl Bullock founded the United Bracket Racers Assoc in 65 maybe. I was the Maryland Rep. He pitched the idea of a NHRA bracket finals to Darwin Doll, Div director at the time, and then we helped to get it done. Has now lasted 43 years. Carl used to race an Opel and gave up UBRA to Pete Holcomb when he got sick. I know he got well and got back into racing but not sure where. Fern will be 78 shortly and raced first time in 1957 at the Air Force base in Tucson Arizona.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of delay boxes. I liked when no one had a crossover delay box so you used a calculator to add the difference in your dial ins to the delay box in the staging lanes. That worked out well until the guy using the calculator had too many beers and mis-punched the numbers

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
NHRA tracks were not doing very well locally by the early 1970's....

Class racing was dying for various reasons.

Bracket racing steadily increased and to me is what kept many tracks going.

NHRA saw this and was smart enough at the time to make some Bracket programs and eventually the Super categories.

The vast majority of Super class racers at the beginning were bracket racers. Raced both and car counts were huge...

California gets the credit for the first bracket racing and the first Pro Tree racing.....Pro Gas.....

They had the weather, the tracks and the racers with cars wanting to race....

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I was pissed when class racing stopped. Swore I would never bracket race.

Of course I eventually changed my mind when none of the tracks held any class racing events.
Lot of heavy hitters racing at Bluegrass Dragway, KY back in the early 70's. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them. I was funding disadvantaged like SCDIV1..lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We had Bret Kepner on a few months ago to discuss this very subject.

http://sportsmandragracingpodc...acket-racing-history

Sportsman Drag Racing Podcast with Luke and Jed

https://goo.gl/4BaPC9

Posts: 19 | Location: Pittsburgh,pa | Registered: November 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
The Richardson Boys!!

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the first time I saw a delay box in use was about 85(?). I used one in 88, for the first time, and thought that was THE longest 1 second I had ever experienced !
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
Speaking of delay boxes. I liked when no one had a crossover delay box so you used a calculator to add the difference in your dial ins to the delay box in the staging lanes. That worked out well until the guy using the calculator had too many beers and mis-punched the numbers

Ha, yeah, keeping fresh batteries, that and trying to borrow a calculator !! I started hating delay boxes then.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportsman Drag Racing Podcast:
We had Bret Kepner on a few months ago to discuss this very subject.

http://sportsmandragracingpodc...acket-racing-history

Oh man! That was great stuff. I highly recommend everybody give that one a listen. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post