Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Generator
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
I'm currently having a trailer built. The trailer was designed to have the generator mounted on the tongue in an openable enclosure. I've used Honda generators for years. A 2200 suitcase and currently a 3000 EU. The plan is to use a Honda 7000EU (really a 5.500). The trailer will also have one 15,000 A/C and wired for a second. There will be a small microwave and a cube fridge.

Is there a better genset I may have overlooked?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
An Onan 5.5 gas unit.

I just ordered one for a customer....$4200 retail.

A racer friend has one mounted in a custom built box on the tongue of his trailer.

A 5.5 will run 2 AC units.....

Onan also makes a 7KW that is the exact same size and costs about $5300

Honda's are excellent but not really a compartment run type machine....meaning it can run inside a box or closed compartment as long as airflow requirements are met....

I've seen many people use Hondas on pullout trays or on the tongue with some sort of removable cover.....

I have 2 Onan 4KY (4000 watt units)....One in trailer gen compartment and one in motorhome.....Either one will run one AC unit and a microwave and more at the same time.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends to some extent what your end game is. Do you want to equip it with enough generator to run two airs? Or one air and maybe turning off the air to use the microwave? I recall there is a pretty big price jump between the 4k onan units and the 5.5's or 7's.
The Honda's are wonderful units noise and reliability wise. But when you start building in, the Onan is probably a better choice like Rich said.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6351 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
There will be a small microwave and a cube fridge.

Sorry not on topic, who's building your trailer with a micro & fridge? I'm looking at a new trailer Haulmark & they will not install a fridge.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2478 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Onan 4KY 4000 watt 120 volts 33 Amps max $3200-$3300 retail

Onan 5.5 5500 watt. 40+Amps max at 120volts available 120v only or 120/240v $4200-4300 retail

Onan 7kw 7000 watts 53 Amps max at 120 volts also available 120/240 configured $5300-$5400 retail

All are carbureted and to be legal in a trailer install, an evap model with vapor canister is supposed to be installed. Gas tank and generator have to be vented into a canister like vehicles have had for years.

The evap models are a little higher priced

Builders of trailers would be required to do the install as required by law.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Sorry not on topic, who's building your trailer with a micro & fridge? I'm looking at a new trailer Haulmark & they will not install a fridge.

A Vintage. That's what in my wheelhouse. I'm installing the little cube fridge myself. Vintage is making the area for the fridge.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Onan 4KY 4000 watt 120 volts 33 Amps max $3200-$3300 retail

Onan 5.5 5500 watt. 40+Amps max at 120volts available 120v only or 120/240v $4200-4300 retail

Onan 7kw 7000 watts 53 Amps max at 120 volts also available 120/240 configured $5300-$5400 retail

All are carbureted and to be legal in a trailer install, an evap model with vapor canister is supposed to be installed. Gas tank and generator have to be vented into a canister like vehicles have had for years.

The evap models are a little higher priced

Builders of trailers would be required to do the install as required by law.

I was wondering what the evap meant.

The enclosure I had in mind for the Honda would have three sides that drop down when in use, plus access to the gas fill.

The generator has to be on the tongue. I'm usually alone and I'm getting awful tired of wheeling the car and generator out just to have electric. There will be no room for a slide out either. That's where the shower is. This trailer is a smaller duplicate of a pal's trailer. I've stayed with him a number of times over the past few years. Some things in his trailer work well, others I changed.

He has a 7K Onan/Cummings like you've described on the tongue. It's relatively new but in the shop again because it's not getting used enough. The aluminum box enclosure for genset comes off and doubles as a table for the small gas grille.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

A Vintage. That's what in my wheelhouse. I'm installing the little cube fridge myself. Vintage is making the area for the fridge.

Thanks Nomad!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2478 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Walter
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend the EFI version of the Onan gas unit. We killed 2, 4K Onan's in our second unit and replaced it with a 5500 EFI, I'd never go back to a generator with a carburetor again.

Mark Walter, Senior Chaplain
JAMA Racing Ministry

"A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash." Proverbs 15:14
"Laus Deo!"

Posts: 299 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Todays gas causes endless problems with carbed machines not used much.

I have zero problems with my own machines but I drain the carb or periodically run my 4KY's...

In winter I drain them and they have carb drains right on them. Takes 5 minutes and a phillips screwdriver...

EFI units are better but mostly they just start better cold or hot.....particularly HOT !

The evap models just have a vent line from the intake manifold/carb that get connected to a cannister along with the gas tank vent. The cannister has a charcoal filter in it. Just like cars had going way back in time......

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Given a choice, go with EFI every time, as has been said.

The ethanol in gas is hard on carbs......or if you go with a carb use ethanol free gas.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3093 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
There are more good choices than I thought. Better do some more research.

Tomorrow I'll get a better look at my pal's Onan installation.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The Onan EFI units do not come with the fuel pump. It's a high pressure pump that is mounted outside the generator.

The best install is with the pump near the tank but it works fine with the pump close to the generator as well.

The EFI units cost a few hundred more than carb models and the pump/ mount and wiring harness is another 2-3 hundred....

An issue I've seen with EFI units is random running problems, stalling......chased it quite a bit on one machine and changing the fuel filter fixed it....had at least 2 other machines with similar complaints and replaced pump and filter and fixed them....

Fuel pressure on the EFI is about the same as my old '96 GMC 7.4 BB pickup and the Onan uses the exact same fuel pressure regulator.....around 45 lbs...

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
An Onan 5.5 gas unit.

I just ordered one for a customer....$4200 retail.

A racer friend has one mounted in a custom built box on the tongue of his trailer.

A 5.5 will run 2 AC units.....

Onan also makes a 7KW that is the exact same size and costs about $5300

Honda's are excellent but not really a compartment run type machine....meaning it can run inside a box or closed compartment as long as airflow requirements are met....

I've seen many people use Hondas on pullout trays or on the tongue with some sort of removable cover.....

I have 2 Onan 4KY (4000 watt units)....One in trailer gen compartment and one in motorhome.....Either one will run one AC unit and a microwave and more at the same time.....

Still fiddling a round with this. Rich, do you have a recommended Onan part number for a 5.5 unit?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I am also considering a gas Onan mounted on the tongue but my concern is where to get and where to install the fuel tank and how much more will that cost verse getting the Honda 7000eu

Posts: 2394 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
There's nothing like being able to remote start the unit from inside.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1586 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I am also considering a gas Onan mounted on the tongue but my concern is where to get and where to install the fuel tank and how much more will that cost verse getting the Honda 7000eu

I hillbillied up a 6 gal. steel outboard motor fuel tank for my trailer unit.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1586 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todays gas causes endless problems with carbed machines not used much.

I have zero problems with my own machines but I drain the carb or periodically run my 4KY's...

I got into the habit of starting mine at least once a month in the off season to prevent problems. I usually start it up and run it for a few minutes then turn fuel off and let it run out.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3960 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Perfect spot for gen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

A friend built a tank that is 2 feet tall, 6 feet wide, and 6 or 8 inches thick. It fits between the generator and the front of the trailer.

nomad
Bruce Guertin