DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Open heart recovery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open heart recovery
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
Anyone here that had open heart surgery, how long before you were cleared to race? I had aortic valve replacement Mar 9th and was hoping to be back for a race the weekend of May 24th.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I assume NHRA would clear you right after your surgeon cleared you.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If the valve poses no risk during activity, then the only concern I could think of would be pain from the belts. I'm thinking IMHP's answer would be correct.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6369 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking why you asking here. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

The surgeon and cardiologist have different opinions. One says 6-8 weeks and one says 8-12. Just wondering what other doctors have said. I don't want to go too early but also would like to get back at it.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
If the valve poses no risk during activity, then the only concern I could think of would be pain from the belts. I'm thinking IMHP's answer would be correct.

Only real concern is making sure the sternum is healed incase of an accident. I'm walking 4 miles a day now and feel pretty darn good.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Listen to your doctors. The NHRA will not clear you to race, if they are aware of your surgery, until your primary doc clears you. For dimwit ED, the poster was asking for others experience with similar conditions. A perfectly normal question. Don't think he wanted your comments. MYOB

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I had quad bypass and I could not drive for 4 weeks or race for 8...the issue as stated earlier is your sternum healing back up with the mesh...if an airbag popped into you or you hit the steering wheel you would do a lot of damage to your chest...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because unless your doctor or surgeon is a drag racer, what better place to ask...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

You return when your doctor, the PROFESSIONAL, clears you to return and not before, PERIOD! You don’t follow the advice of the clueless that think they know.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I know you want to get back into the car, but follow doctors orders. For me I would go with the longer time out. The consequences of going back too soon are very bad. You can always race later. Break sternum you maybe done for good.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Only real concern is making sure the sternum is healed incase of an accident. I'm walking 4 miles a day now and feel pretty darn good.

Well done with the walking! Much much more than most of the population!!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6369 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I had heart surgery 6-7 years ago and got to get back out there pretty quick---the surgeon was also one of the racers at our track

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Knee replacement for me coming up on the 25th. Hopefully run Dallas about 3 1/2 weeks later but probably not.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wrong

You return when your doctor, the PROFESSIONAL, clears you to return and not before, PERIOD! You don’t follow the advice of the clueless that think they know.

Sorry, not wrong...do you think I made up the numbers I posted just to be clever?...I had open heart surgery and, for your information, they came from my surgeon...mind your own business, sir, unless you have been through what we have...

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
fuzzy dice,
Getting old is hell but it's a lot better than the alternative. I speak from experience. I lost my wife 22 years ago at the young age of 53. I'm not as good as Fern but I'm still vertical at 80.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Floyd Fuzz has been a friend for a long time and he's not that far behind us. Someone mentioned Knee replacement--I did that also, 3 weeks later we rolled out in the RV for a trip to Charleston, SC for a week. BUT do PT as perscribed, all of it.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post