New
Find
Notify
Tools

A NHRA 180.......
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Wow, Phoenix National Event. PRO's are full and sportsman are not. What a difference a year makes.

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We’re entered but the weather doesn’t look good. I know we’re gonna be stuck out in the bowl, not looking forward to that. Especially if it rains much. Probably only get one time trial also.

We’ve had one friend in T/S bail out already.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like they will be parking the sportsman on Thursday with 90% rain forecast. Yikes

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Everything but Stock and Super Stock were full at one point, and Stock was very close. Dropping like flies with the forecast.

As far as the pros, the entries are identical with the exception of one additional TF car. Only 14 cars were on the ladder at Pomona but there were 15 on the entry list.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3157 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:
Looks like they will be parking the sportsman on Thursday with 90% rain forecast. Yikes

Lots pulling out due to forecast.....We are staying home but alternate plans in the works..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4495 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
I am entered in super gas, and a buddy is running my wife's super comp car. If it weren't for committing to him running that car, I'm not sure I'd still be entered either. It's gonna be a mess out in the bowl.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's the most popular track amongst the sportsmen.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Floyd, the problem is there is no incentive for the owners to pave the bowl. I'm pretty sure it only gets used a couple of times a year so I'm assuming it's not cost effective for them to pave it. I sure wish they would though.

At the Divisional at Denver we always pit right at the end of the track and it's not paved either. I sure wish they would pave it too but it's never gonna happen.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Denver doesn't get full fields either, does it?

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In the construction business, we never make decisions based on weather forecasts. We go full speed ahead and then if the weather stops us, so be it. As sure as God make little green apples, if we cancelled a day due to a bad weather forecast it would turn out to be a good day.

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike, with respect, that is a Apple's and Orange's comparison. One is work. The other is fun. When there is no "FUN" in the forecast we don't go.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What's going to happen to all the pre entry's at Tucson for the divisional the following week?

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
I don't think that's the most popular track amongst the sportsmen.

I don't think this is an inaccurate statement.

IMO moving the divisional to the "fall" and not having it back to back in the spring is not helping either. Be interesting to see how the division race goes too. It is entirely likely the temps will be hovering around 100 or so for that one.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike MacBrair:
In the construction business, we never make decisions based on weather forecasts. We go full speed ahead and then if the weather stops us, so be it. As sure as God make little green apples, if we cancelled a day due to a bad weather forecast it would turn out to be a good day.

For a lot of Sportsman racers, the over the road costs, rooms, meals, etc. cost a lot more than an entry that can be moved to another event.

The weather today for Friday is not looking good getting much done:

Showers 50%
High 50°
Low 35°

Overcast with rain showers at times. High near 50F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thursday is 100% rain!

Not much of a fun factor!

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We really screwed the pooch not cancelling. Poured rain all day forecast all night and most of tomorrow. Really having fun

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m going on a tiny rant here. I realize the rain caused a lot of grief for a lot of sportsman racers, but wanted to relate our experience. After a free-for-all leaving the holding lot, we got a reasonable stacking #. Pulled in the gate and we’re told paved parking was full you’re stuck in the bowl. Another racer came out and informed them that there were many spaces still on the pavement. And a huge sign stating no saving spaces. After some conversation we were parked on pavement in a spot with initials painted on it. These were all around us. Noticed later in the weekend lots of empty spots in the Comp pits. Moral of story is - if you’re not golden with NHRA you’re going to be out there under a foot or more of water. Ok rant over.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post