DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    some automotive trivia for the off season
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

some automotive trivia for the off season
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 1970 GTO had an option for Vacuum Operated Exhaust (VOE). The mufflers were made with a switch that would bypass a portion of the muffler to improve performance.

A version of that still exist in today's Corvette. I have a 2012 Corvette that has "NPP" exhaust option from the factory. I have rigged up a manual override I can utilize but the factory set up is very good. Under normal condition the vacuum butterflies are closed and the exhaust goes through the mufflers. Under performance the butterflies open and you have a straight through exhaust (save for the 4 catalytic converters it has!!!). The ECM analyzes the data and anticipates performance opening. Engine RPM, vehicle speed and throttle position, plus others I'm sure, are utilized to open or close the valve. Adds an alledged 6hp. Trivia for ya!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
The idiot light first appeared in 1986

Sorry, they didn’t make anything cool while I was growing up

Do you mean that is the first time you ever saw one? To this day, my 1967 Camaro's dash lights up with "GEN" if it throws an alternator belt. Smile And that is the reason I had to install a diode in the power line to my MSD box. Just the voltage flowing through that idiot light is enough to keep the car running with the key turned off! Take care. Tom Worthington

1955 Fords all came with oil pressure and amp (volt) idiot lights.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't quote years, but Chrysler (and you're a Chrysler fan) was the last to drop the dash amp gauge that ran all the current through the dash.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

I can't quote years, but Chrysler (and you're a Chrysler fan) was the last to drop the dash amp gauge that ran all the current through the dash.

I'm a fan of select mopars, LOL
My first car was a 55 Ford, what's funny is Ford trucks had gauges even earlier.
Ford seemed to mix it up with different models going either way.

Bean counters would be the reason for idiot lights. A bulb being cheaper than a gauge..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
More Olds stuff. The 1971 442 with a 4 speed had a dual disc clutch option.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think the last MOPAR amp meter was 1965 on some models and by 1967 with all.

As electrical load became more and more the in-line amp meter became a weak point.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post