DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    wow! Where e’rybody go?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wow! Where e’rybody go?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Take some time away from this sight and the sport and my how both have changed Shake head

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern DC | Registered: June 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Some of us have never left racing or here---but we did get a LOT older. Welcome back

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
sure glad you still got the lite on in here fern holding the fort down. came here hunting some the original old gang see what they up to nowadays? guess I been away longer than I thunk? dang I getting old.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern DC | Registered: June 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For those of us who have viewed this site for many years, yes, the names have changed considerably. And the same is true of other drag race forums.

It is simply another example of change.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One thing I have noticed on all of my forums I follow is they are not as popular as they were several years ago. I follow some airgun forums and they used to have hundreds of posts a day. Now they do not have that many in a month. Similar with most other forums.

I think many are some what burnt out on them? Have learned what we need to know? Used up all of the internet? Lol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3963 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
think theys a lot of truth in what both larry and curly say and that facebook thing killed lots of websites with message board features. dont do that facebook thing so after many many seasons of not racing or dropping in here on drr i just decided see who still on here. i was surprised but guess I shouldnt be seeing how bracket racing has bout died off too. looks like only bracket racing going on now you have to send lots money in months in advance and even if you dont send in advance have to get a 2nd mortgage to enter. thought i mite get itch to race again but it looks like my itch fading quick. seems when i look same ole names still win most the big money events so i guess not much new blood getting into sport.understand why cause it takes deep pockets play this game anymore. not mad just jealous my pockets be shallow or i probably be playing again. guess i just keep chasing that lil white ball around to keep me occupied.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Michael Beard
posted Hide Post
This is not even remotely true.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

Posts: 5727 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Retiredchump:
think theys a lot of truth in what both larry and curly say and that facebook thing killed lots of websites with message board features. dont do that facebook thing so after many many seasons of not racing or dropping in here on drr i just decided see who still on here. i was surprised but guess I shouldnt be seeing how bracket racing has bout died off too. looks like only bracket racing going on now you have to send lots money in months in advance and even if you dont send in advance have to get a 2nd mortgage to enter. thought i mite get itch to race again but it looks like my itch fading quick. seems when i look same ole names still win most the big money events so i guess not much new blood getting into sport.understand why cause it takes deep pockets play this game anymore. not mad just jealous my pockets be shallow or i probably be playing again. guess i just keep chasing that lil white ball around to keep me occupied.

Bracket Racing died, really?

Go to Island Dragway on a Saturday, Atco on a Saturday and Sunday, Cecil, Numidia, Maple Grove, damn, there are a LOT of tracks around here running weekly Bracket programs. It certainly has not died, but has far fewer participants than it used to have.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
Originally posted by Retiredchump:

Go to Island Dragway on a Saturday, Atco on a Saturday and Sunday, Cecil, Numidia, Maple Grove, damn, there are a LOT of tracks around here running weekly Bracket programs. It certainly has not died, but has far fewer participants than it used to have.

It's easy to lose sight of the fact that there are a lot more great choices for races to go to today. There is barely a weekend here where I don't have the choice of a great race within a reasonable driving distance. Car counts may be down at some tracks or events. But others are up. I don't know that it is growing. But certainly it is not dying.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
reckon dying wasnt best choice to describe the state of todays bracket racing. guess stagnant would be better choice? not nearly as many cars as they use to be at local bracket event.not even half. been to couple local tracks about 4 times in last 12 yrs to catch up with old friends and that was a true eye opener. went last year for first time in bout 4 yrs and hardly knowed anybody. must be getting old????

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck

Lebanon Valley had 105 cars in Super and 94 or 97 in Pro 2 races ago for a regular Sunday bracket race.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hey Chump...
I'm like you, been about 12 years since I've made a competitive lap down the track. Guess I'm a part time stalker, I check in here from time to time to read up on the goings on but usually don't post. So, "hey" everyone from way back when...

Bracket racing around here still going strong at Beech Bend and Ohio Valley,from what I've seen on here and facebook, the tracks in the eastern part of the state are doing pretty good as well. We did lose a couple over the years, Windy Hollow and Lake Cumberland.. Windy Hollow has been back open on a limited basis for the past couple of years doing the no prep thing. They had JJ Da Boss and the Memphis Mafia up there last weekend but it rained out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Roadster Boy,

Posts: 209 | Location: Glasgow, Kentucky | Registered: February 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Two Subjects here....

1st one is forum attendance...my take is that the younger crowd has a very hard time reading anything at length and comprehending it...think about it...social media for the most part is clicking "like" or snapping a selfie or sending a "tweet". They do not have time (in their view) to read forums, write something and wait for responses. Ask a young person about the last book they actually read from cover to cover.

2nd I think bracket racing is alive and well to an extent. The big dollar events seem to bring out some greedy promoters and a fair amount of cheating. Watching certain vehicles make lap after lap dead-on no matter the conditions needs to be looked at, not ignored. But it appears the only rule of interest in FB is no button for the delay box - like you would actually need one. I do think there are promoters out there that get it right and when car counts are up, they give back to those that don't have the best of days - those people I appreciate and will try to continue supporting their events. The others can crawl off and die for what I care. But, there is also a contingent of bracket racers out there that for whatever the reasons...time, money, ability and resources choose to stay close to home base that shouldn't be ignored. They're a great bunch of people just trying to have some fun with friends and family, enjoying their laps down the track just as much as the well-healed racers.

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is also a contingent of bracket racers out there that for whatever the reasons...time, money, resources choose to stay close to home base that shouldn't be ignored. They're a great bunch of people just trying to have some fun with friends and family, enjoying their laps down the track

At age 72, this is my situation. I will attend a one-day local race and be home in my bed that night. Well, might be early in the AM but I can do that every few weeks.

Through the years I have done my share of travel and multiday events but those days are over. I have plenty of desire and am still competitive but I have learned my limits. "A mans gotta know his limits" Clint Eastwood

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
The car count for brackets at my local tracks are a bit down, no doubt...I have seen a few changes that may be affecting this...grudge racing and no prep have come on pretty strong and actually get a lot of spectators... this is sweet music to the track owners...also, there are now a number of big money bracket events...SFG just paid $525K to the winner with over 700 entries and Loose Rocker pays real nice money as well....not to mention Coalburg who just had triple 10K's at Bristol with 484 entries, footbrake only, and just announced a $100K to win event with guaranteed money...

While bracket racing has changes a bit it seems to be alive and well from what I see...it will never be a spectator event but the car counts are still decent...oh yeah, import events which are heads up for the most part have blossomed...my local track get 15 to 20,000 spectators at their import stuff regularly...

I know quite a few bracket racers who have decided to not chase the local points in favor of doing the big money events...they run locally for the money only to keep the rust off...I am one of them...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I now pick my poison. 78 years old and not a threat to any other racer so I go to where I want to go. Just attended the WFC and won 4 or 5 rounds in 4 days. What an event. I had a fantastic time and hope to support this event next year. By the way the old guys won 3 of the 4 races. One was 70+ and won the thur gamblers and once more on Sat, the other was in the late 60s and both had had heart surgery in the past year....amazing! I think a lot of older racers sit home thinking they can't compete, you can't win if you are not in.

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post