DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    How a Starting Line should look
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How a Starting Line should look
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
With today's change in traction compound and the possibilities of the infrared beams tracking, NHRA has most recently taken the steps to make sure the flat black on the beams runs continual to the groove. They even cover these painted surfaces when spring traction compound during the weekend. You'll notice no shiny compound where the staging beams run. This is a precaution all tracks should be taking to insure consistent reaction times.

race track

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
You bored eh bud?

Are we seeing this at big money bracket races?

Consistently slow reaction times for funny cars? Big Grin Anyone ever heard a funny car driver after a run say "no way I was that late" Big Grin

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Just say'n if the promoters and facilities that host these Big Money events want to take it to the next level and not have issues they need to follow the lead of those who are in the know. NHRA isn't doing this for the He!! of it I guarantee you. When a stage bulb doesn't go off and the red light drops maybe we should be looking at the starting line and not the racers car.

SL...

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Funny you say that about stage bulb cause I had that happen two weeks ago. It was explained to me as spider webs.
Here’s what happened. I prestaged then he prestaged then as I pulled forward the prestaged bulb goes out. We both back out and start again and with both sides staged the tree fires and as soon as that happened my top bulb goes out and red comes on while my stage bulb was still lit. We had to rerun.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I had a gopher trip the beams on a time run once. Starter saw it and they gave me another time run if I wanted it.
Interesting on the flat black. May be a best practice tracks could incorporate into their starting line prep.
Speaking of which: Why is starting line prep considered such a black art? Seems like there should be some degree of science to it, and frankly, just a couple different methods mostly depending on temperature. Everybody seems to do something completely different it seems.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
That's interesting but I don't remember any "funny lites" in fuel, only pro stock.
The shiniest track I've ever seen was SGMP for Duck's race and I don't know if they've ever had any funny lites or reruns.
For the big money events it seems great lengths are taken for track prep and accurate timing systems. Now on your basic weekly bracket series not so much. If all of the bulbs on the tree work it's a win.
Track prep must be a black science that few can master. There are some tracks where it's not a question and they have it down no matter what the temp. Other tracks it's very hit or miss and it changes a lot during the course of a race.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Body and chassis torque having an affect? I wonder how much the nitro hit vibration affects the beams and reflectors?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4479 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
CHRIS - yes this has happened at Bracket Races. in 2017 when the compound was first changed and the Fling brand went to Gallot they fought this. With help from Compulink they were able to get thru the weekend by painting the starting line and making beam adjustments I believe.

Mid Michigan had this creep up the same season and spent time with Compulink fixing the issue. They had never had the issue before the change in compounds.

Heck Hutsville fought this until they redid their starting line a few years back.

Obviously obvious is the instances that stand out. BUT what about the instances of say .001 to .030 that are possibly undetected. You know those times when you feel you crushed it and are maybe 020.

Anyway my point is why not make it perfect when you can for as little as $19.99 in asphalt sealer.

SL...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DragRaceResults,

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
I must point out that this isn't an easily detectable issue. It can happen at certain times of the day and even at night with the high glare from overhead lights. It is much more prevalent with dragsters than door cars because of the width of the car and the shadow they cast.

Brockmeyer at Compulink literally suggested to check the rollout like normal and to check the rollout with the starting line "wet" to help detect this and it revealed one lane's rollout moving over 1" with it wet. How many tracks do you think check it that way let alone check the remainder of the photocells down track that way?

And depending on the compound the track uses or switches to on a given race can determine whether this is an issue or not. Oh ya, don't forget overcast conditions and mother nature. Like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

The shiniest track I've ever seen was SGMP for Duck's race and I don't know if they've ever had any funny lites or reruns.

Don't know if this format of race would yield enough consistent reaction times or ET data to show the type of flaws in timing equipment (or it's set-up) that the OP was referring to. Hard to compare data derived from ultra consistent bracket cars to the data from grudge/heads-up cars. Two completely different worlds...

I know of a track that runs both a grudge and heads-up program. I'll bet not many if any complaints or concerns coming from those two crowds of racers of inconsistent/inaccurate timing data.
Yet I do know numerous complaints from bracket racers of inconsistent/ inaccurate data...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
At Duck's race they run open comp.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post