DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Does your IHRA track run a Sportsman class??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does your IHRA track run a Sportsman class??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
I wonder how many tracks run a Sportsman class of pure footbrake 7.50 or slower in the 1/8th. looks like it will be a SSS class for world finals.
http://www.ihra.com/images/SPO...s_Rules_11-12-18.pdf
http://www.ihra.com/superserie...a-summit-superseries

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I wonder how many tracks run a Sportsman class of pure footbrake 7.50 or slower in the 1/8th. looks like it will be a SSS class for world finals.

No IHRA tracks that I know of, in this area (eastern NC). I'd be all over that. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I heard this weekend that, down this way, Immokalee and Palm Beach will be having Sportsman...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

No IHRA tracks that I know of, in this area (eastern NC). I'd be all over that. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

HR901

Posts: 19 | Location: Goldsboro, NC | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom, didn't post correctly above, Kinston & Coastal Plains are both still IHRA tracks, whether or not they would add new class is the question?

HR901

Posts: 19 | Location: Goldsboro, NC | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No 2-step on manual transmission cars?

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Highest finishing sportsman car in modified class could be considered sportsman champion w/o a separate class.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlee:
Hey Tom, didn't post correctly above, Kinston & Coastal Plains are both still IHRA tracks, whether or not they would add new class is the question?

I have no idea about Coastal Plains, but I'd wager Kinston is not about to "add" anything to it's bracket racing. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
Highest finishing sportsman car in modified class could be considered sportsman champion w/o a separate class.

I guess they could do that but it would kind of defeat the purpose of the reason for starting the class. Since all the world finals consist of is SSS brackets if they are going to have that class at the finals they would need a champion from each track and a winner at each division to make a field of cars.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Will this increase the number of cars sent by each track to the Bracket Finals? Or, will this reduce the number of Mod cars allowed?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Last I knew they told you how many to bring but not how many in each class. We used to load up with Mod cars and only take 4 or 5 Top and Jrs….Won 3 0r 4 track championships that way and no one ever noticed.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure all of the tracks (ihra) around north east ohio have somewhat of a sportsman/street class, and as a matter of fact we take a street class to the D3 Bracket Finals.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jay Gilman
posted Hide Post
US 131 MSP has run Street class for years. Adding this to Summit Super Series is a great move!

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
We have a Street class, its run on 1/4 though, 11.50 slower, DOT tires, mufflers, headlights, etc. I would assume that would cross over to the 7.50 class.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
KRP has had a Street class (same thing as Sportsman) for years, as well as a Trophy class.
I love this move by IHRA. I hope it adds cars for tracks and becomes a feeder system.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:
We have a Street class, its run on 1/4 though, 11.50 slower, DOT tires, mufflers, headlights, etc. I would assume that would cross over to the 7.50 class.

NHRA track, it sounds like? Street in IHRA allows slicks and open headers, doesn't have to be street legal at all.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
There is no "street" class in the NHRA...it is called sportsman and allows slicks, open headers. etc....no electronics allowed and there is an ET break...

A lot of tracks run a street class on their own...Orlando does but uses sportsman rules...it defeats the purpose for beginner bracket racers, in my opinion...dedicated race cars go in the class looking for ducks and an easy payday...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT:

NHRA track, it sounds like? Street in IHRA allows slicks and open headers, doesn't have to be street legal at all.

We were an NHRA track until a few years ago and then went IHRA. Track kept Hot Rod (Trophy class anything can run), Street(Sportsman, as i described earlier), and Motorcycle class all 1/4 mile to make the people running them happy. Top and Mod were run 1/4 first year, and then switched to 1/8th since all the bracket finals are 1/8. They do allow 4 of the street class to run mod at the BF the past few years, but this gives them their own class now.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post