DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Norwalk Timing System
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norwalk Timing System
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
They are going to RERUN the entire Round 3 of Super Comp for a timing system issue.

I raced in Stock and I was getting some unusually good lights for me.

What could be the issue?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://www.dragracecentral.co...NHRA-SUMMIT#indextop

Look at some of the numbers in the round.Obviously "something" not right.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I know there has been issues with the sun messing with timers certain time of the day but don’t know if hat was it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've always heard that referred to as the 'lazy photocell.' RT is late, and ET is quick by the same amount.

Sometimes it is obvious, but sometimes it is only .02-.04 and you'll have a hard time convincing the track staff that there is an issue.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Wasnt there an issue with the same class and possibly some of the same drivers at the Div 3 race in may ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
I was one of the people involved in this fiasco. First, it wasn't sunny really. I only saw one pair that was obviously strange. Truth was most of us lost fair and square. There was nothing funny about my 3rd round numbers.

I've been .90 racing 34 years, and have never heard of a complete rerun of a round. Maybe a couple of pairs, but a whole round? Naturally, there were some upset winners. I heard one racer remark that he would have stayed at the trailer. It was a very difficult thing to be involved in. In hindsight I regret going back for the rerun.My guy beat me fair and square. No one seemed to know why the entire round was involved. Wanting to win so bad that you leave your honor at the trailer makes for a hollow victory. I got spanked the second time, so no harm done. I haven' t checked yet, but I wonder how many races were changed? That's where the real story is. The rerun left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'll take this opportunity to publicly apologize to my opponent Mr Schneider for participating in the mess. He handled it very well. I've never won jack **** doing this, but until now, I never lost anything important either. I'd be curious how others would have handled a rerun call?

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 793 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
There were two pair with obviously screwy numbers.

After rerunning the round, the two drivers with bad numbers the first time around still lost. The outcome changed for two other pair.

Bad deal for sure.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3153 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

After rerunning the round, the two drivers with bad numbers the first time around still lost. The outcome changed for two other pair.

Bad deal for sure.

I guess it depends on what defines a screwy number.

.252 and .571 are clearly not normal reaction times in Super Comp.

But then again,neither are .087,.054,.087, or .066 (left lane)

.006,.007,.016,.021.019.......were all in the right lane.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:

Bad deal for sure.

Looking at it a little more closely, you are correct. For the most part, the drivers that had those uncharacteristically late lights were better the second time around, and their 60', 330', etc times were better by roughly the same amount. It is always difficult to pin down ET changes with throttle stops, but most people are set up to at least get consistent 60' times.

I guess it underscored the point I made in my first post, about it being easy to tell when the numbers are WAY off, but tougher to tell and/or prove when it is only a couple hundredths.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC4400:
I'd be curious how others would have handled a rerun call?

RIP

I admire your thoughts on the matter. Hindsight certainly gives you a chance to think on it more clearly. You can't be faulted for going to the lanes as instructed for the re-run. I'm sure you were totally unprepared for all this to go down.

I've only been asked to re-run once that I can recall. I had an .013 light, and my opponent had a .001 light. He crossed the stripe first (going 20mph faster at the stripe than me), but the win light came on in my lane. When we got our time slips, his was correct at the R/T, 330', 660' and 1000' increments, but blank for 1/4 mile speed and ET. My numbers were all correct. I didn't get all that aggravated about being instructed to re-run, but my opponent and the officials acted like he would have for sure been the winner due to his .001 light, and I was being a jerk for asking questions about the timing system. I had an .013 light, and ran .01 over my dial. My opponent took so much stripe I feel sure he likely broke out.

Anyway, re-runs are always a bad deal. Nobody's fault really, and no perfect answers.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Always show up for the re-run. If there is no ladder, they may be paired with someone else. If you are present, you can make sure they advance to the next round.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are going to RERUN the entire Round 3 of Super Comp for a timing system issue.

What could be the issue?

Reruns are not good because the person who lost is happy and ready to kill the tree as he got a second chance and the person who won is unhappy .so I think the run that there is a malfunction should be this way .Best two out of three runs ,To determine the winner of that race

Don Kennedy

Posts: 395 | Location: TN | Registered: December 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Kennedy:
quote:

What could be the issue?

Reruns are not good because the person who lost is happy and ready to kill the tree as he got a second chance and the person who won is unhappy .so I think the run that there is a malfunction should be this way .Best two out of three runs ,To determine the winner of that race

But, the one with the bad light may start adjusting his/her Delay Box thinking they missed the tree and could now be red, unless they looked at all the incrementals and compared them to a good run and maybe, just maybe realize that they should leave it all alone.......

Tough call, but they had to make it fair for everyone.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Reruns can be like Pandora's Box if you not careful...

Posts: 12 | Location: Twister City, OH / Athens, GA / Brownsburg, IN | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bad deal for sure.

Looking at it a little more closely, you are correct. For the most part, the drivers that had those uncharacteristically late lights were better the second time around, and their 60', 330', etc times were better by roughly the same amount. It is always difficult to pin down ET changes with throttle stops, but most people are set up to at least get consistent 60' times.

I guess it underscored the point I made in my first post, about it being easy to tell when the numbers are WAY off, but tougher to tell and/or prove when it is only a couple hundredths.

By 60' and 330' being better, do you mean quicker than the suspect run or more inline to where they were the previous runs?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rip,

You did the right thing. In some of these instances you have to go with the flow. Remember, whether you like it or not the track or sanctioning body has the power. They say rerun then you either rerun or go home, simple as that.

Pivotdoc got in a deal last year, the race was running late, it was time for the “show” and the track manager told everyone left “you’re done, load your cars up”. Nobody liked it but what choice did they have?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
By 60' and 330' being better, do you mean quicker than the suspect run or more inline to where they were the previous runs?

In every case where the driver in the left lane was dead late, the 60' time on the 'bad' run in the third round was quicker than both the rerun 60' and the second round 60'. Sometimes by just a couple hundredths, sometimes by a lot. It somewhat depends on how much the R/T was off in the bad run. But there is a consistent pattern.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Would love to know what caused the issue, and I bet the track does also!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Norwalk installed fiber optic a few yrs back i believe. Dont know if that helps or not.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post