DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    They're Dropping Like Flies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're Dropping Like Flies
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Interesting that you mention bracket racing. Despite the design of bracket racing to allow everyone to be competitive in theory it is slowly going towards spend more money. The first move was the transbrake and the delay box, then the changing of the timing system with crosstalk to accommodate them. Now we're on to no-box leaving footbrake to specialty races instead of sanctioned points series. All pushing in the direction of spend more money to be competitive.

While I agree that bracket racing is not immune to the spend more money trend. The things you are mentioning are just keeping the classes that are most popular to racers today. I hear all the time that now that data collection is allowed, you need that to be competitive. Hog wash! The very nature of bracket racing means you need to cut a light and excell at the finish line racing. Of course a car that is predictable is a good thing and a high mph car can be an advantage as well. But unless we are willing to make bracket racing a spec class, we aren't going to have "equality", nor should we.

It's pretty natural, and it's hard to let the sport evolve without it self destructing or becoming boring. Just like pro racing.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Interesting that you mention bracket racing. Despite the design of bracket racing to allow everyone to be competitive in theory it is slowly going towards spend more money. The first move was the transbrake and the delay box, then the changing of the timing system with crosstalk to accommodate them. Now we're on to no-box leaving footbrake to specialty races instead of sanctioned points series. All pushing in the direction of spend more money to be competitive.

Heck, I can beat better/more expensive equipment...once, while bracket racing. However, I usually can't pull off that trick (lucky horseshoe) multiple times. When my competitors enter multiple times ($$$) and they b*yback multiple times ($$$), am I just as competitive as they are? Of course not. Not even close.

If you feel bracket racing has gotten/is getting too expensive, maybe it's a good time for some introspection. Beating your competition with more money is just the nature of any form of heads up motorsports, but it doesn't need to be that way for breakout racing. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Tom396 - you make some very good points. Honestly, if some promoters want to get a handle on this then do a couple of things. Double entries - okay but then you can't buyback either entry but do allow a buyback for a single entry. That cuts the costs right there but it does take money out of the promoters side of it. Secondly - while I know there's a hell of a lot of racers that can pull it off the trailer, dial it and go - cutting out a second time shot on Sunday's keeps a lot of lower buck racers at home. I know everyone wants to get out of there and get home but a later finish wouldn't hurt anyone but the contenders.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We really should distinguish between big buck bracket racing and local track weekly racing. There are some similarities but also some distinct differences,.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
We really should distinguish between big buck bracket racing and local track weekly racing. There are some similarities but also some distinct differences,.

I absolutely agree. They ought to be two different animals. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When a track or promoter puts together a bracket race event, the rules, entry and payouts are generally spelt out on the flyer. Knowing this in advance, a racer has the informed choice to what they are participating in.

The participation level will generally be an indication of how the promoter has structured the entrees, payouts and rules of the race. Along with that will be the race track location it is run at and possibly weather. The burden of making the event a success is on the promoter not the racer.

I believe the racers that complain about the rules generally do not compete in the events they complain about. Instead, it’s the 99.9% of the racers that attend these events that are showing their support for the event rules. I believe this is because they feel they have as good of a chance as anyone else of winning these races.

Because a bracket racer has the financial ability to double enter, buy back multiple times and have the very best of equipment does not give them the absolute advantage imho. I believe there’s much more to winning a bracket race than this.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
When a track or promoter puts together a bracket race event, the rules, entry and payouts are generally spelt out on the flyer. Knowing this in advance, a racer has the informed choice to what they are participating in.

The participation level will generally be an indication of how the promoter has structured the entrees, payouts and rules of the race. Along with that will be the race track location it is run at and possibly weather. The burden of making the event a success is on the promoter not the racer.

I believe the racers that complain about the rules generally do not compete in the events they complain about. Instead, it’s the 99.9% of the racers that attend these events that are showing their support for the event rules. I believe this is because they feel they have as good of a chance as anyone else of winning these races.

Because a bracket racer has the financial ability to double enter, buy back multiple times and have the very best of equipment does not give them the absolute advantage imho. I believe there’s much more to winning a bracket race than this.

Absolutely, where I race I look at the travel distance, payout, rules etc and make my decision. You go race where you like it best or if you do not want to race go test and tune and do not complain about those who do race. There is something for everyone choose what you want and go do it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
When I first noticed the change was with Kenny Berstien and the Budweiser sponsorship. That changed the way teams ran and how much it cost to compete. There may have been big money before that but that was when I noticed the change.

It was said those guys (PRO)are the reason PST went by by...because it was getting more attention than the fuel teams.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I first noticed a change MANY yrs ago when people started showing up in these enclosed trailers...now THAT was the way to tow your car!!!
But that wasn't enough when everybody had one...then people started building HUGE 498ci big blocks so they could stand out as the fastest/quickest at the track...
Then people realized that you could get attention by having 10k paint jobs...
Nobody seemed to admit they were still racing for the same $500 IF you were the only one winner...Hundreds of people, spending thousands and thousands of dollars to be the ONE person to win $500.....
I just liked racing my car..... still do...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I love going to big $$ Footbrake races and see the middle of the pack cars dominate! I have seen many mid to low 10 second cars in the semis many, many times, while the 8.5 to 9.0 cars are outta there!

It just proves that spending more money than the guy next to you doesn't put you in the winners circle.

Plus, having a good predictable car is great, but having your head screwed-on straight is much more important!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mike why are you not at Piedmont? 3 cars left. 1fast, 1 slow, and 1 in the middle

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Mike why are you not at Piedmont? 3 cars left. 1fast, 1 slow, and 1 in the middle

And Rodney Finchem (the "slow" one) won! Big Grin Take care. Tom Worthington