DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    They're Dropping Like Flies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're Dropping Like Flies
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted
The number of Pro Stock cars/drivers not returning for the 2019 season just keeps growing.

Tanner Gray, Vincent Nobile, Bo Butner who's next?

Looks like Ed was right.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, the no hood scoop rule is about to gain traction and class interest will sky rocket, thus injecting new life into the class.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Butner kind of left the door open and is peeking back in, if the internet is to be trusted. Nobile leaving was no fault of his and in fact he says he was just as surprised as everybody else when he found out...I wouldn't count him out just yet.

And both competitionplus and DRO had blurbs that basically said NHRA wanted to drop PS to 16 races, the owners came back and said give us 18 races AND we'll guarantee 16 cars. Again, if the internet is right, many of the owners were actually glad to see the schedule cut back, as it costs less in travel. Time will tell.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Matt Smith to jump an Elite PS next year for a few races where bikes dont run

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
FS and FX will be exactly where PS is at... $ war. 110Kor more for the car, another 70K for motor upgrade, another 40-50K updating trans and back plus spares... Wow, it's PS all over again with a makeover...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
FS and FX will be exactly where PS is at... $ war. 110Kor more for the car, another 70K for motor upgrade, another 40-50K updating trans and back plus spares... Wow, it's PS all over again with a makeover...

Actually it looks like it is quickly getting as expensive as Pro stock and if it was cost that is killing pro Stock why would this be any different? Asking for a Friend......

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If the top teams follow suit and drop in FX or FS it will weed out the class quickly.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2 new teams coming out with one being a 2 car team and the other a 3 car team.

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Silly Season

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
*sniff*...millionaires are going broke playing racecars....*sniff*

This is the saddest story I've ever heard...I really really care two shyts about them and their problems...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
*sniff*...millionaires are going broke playing racecars....*sniff*

This is the saddest story I've ever heard...I really really care two shyts about them and their problems...

Tell us how you really feel! LOL. I do get it. But the wealthy money is both what is good and bad for the sport. Frankly it props up classes that otherwise may collapse due to lack of participation. But they can also make it more expensive for everyone else. Two edged sword.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In 10 years the whole sport will be gone, sportsman racing may survive.

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 421philt:
In 10 years the whole sport will be gone, sportsman racing may survive.

I doubt that myself. But it is going to have to do some careful evolving to stay relevant. It doesn't have to be the same as it is now.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Throw Drew Skillman into the mix.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When I first noticed the change was with Kenny Berstien and the Budweiser sponsorship. That changed the way teams ran and how much it cost to compete. There may have been big money before that but that was when I noticed the change.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
When I first noticed the change was with Kenny Berstien and the Budweiser sponsorship. That changed the way teams ran and how much it cost to compete. There may have been big money before that but that was when I noticed the change.

I would have said Billy Meyer. Before then they just used duallys and 5th wheel trailers and not semi trucks. He really showed them how to market the cars and get more money.

Posts: 377 | Location: Rudy, AR | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StevesNova:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

I would have said Billy Meyer. Before then they just used duallys and 5th wheel trailers and not semi trucks. He really showed them how to market the cars and get more money.

Lol, I remember them towing to the races with a station wagon and open trailer. Professional drag racing has moved up a little. That right there is much of the problem it has gotten too big and expensive.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
it has gotten too big and expensive.

I agree. But it begs the question.....how expensive should it be? What is the answer to keeping it where it should be? That's always been the problem with motorsports. As the class matures, it gets more and more expensive to stay at the top and even stay competitive. It seems as though any limitation you put on the cars, money is the answer to getting the most within those rules.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran dirt track stuff for years. The same cycle. Go out Sat night with the 1/2 ton pickup pulling the race car on a tow dolly or a 16' construction trailer, win, go home. Next week, someone shows up and wins, so you gotta figure out how to beat them. That means (usually) spending some money. That cycle snowballs. Next thing we know, we're pulling a 30' enclosed with spare parts, engines, lifts, etc. Next step? 18 wheeler with spare cars. It is an unfortunate cycle that every type of racing, with the theoretical exception of bracket racing, goes through.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you mention bracket racing. Despite the design of bracket racing to allow everyone to be competitive in theory it is slowly going towards spend more money. The first move was the transbrake and the delay box, then the changing of the timing system with crosstalk to accommodate them. Now we're on to no-box leaving footbrake to specialty races instead of sanctioned points series. All pushing in the direction of spend more money to be competitive.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post