DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    2010 chevy 3500 duramax
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 chevy 3500 duramax
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Hello all,

I found a 2010 Chevy 3500 Duramax with a 144000 miles. Any one have any input experiance with this year? I believe this is the first year for the DEF, are there any issues with this?

Thanks

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bill, I do not know about the DEF, my Duramax is a 2006 model.

I do know this, it is without question the best truck I have ever owned [and at age 71 with 55 years of towing race cars you can expect I have owned many]

Even with my 40-foot trailer, on the Interstate, set the cruise or you will be running too fast.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of N/E 434
posted Hide Post
Bill-

My dad had a 2007 (no def) and bought a '13 model (def) to replace the '07. He likes the '13 better than he did the '07. Better fuel mileage. Just keep some def handy so you dont go to "Limp Mode" in the middle of nowhere. At 144k you have a lot of life left on that rig.

Posts: 2 | Location: San Angelo, Tx | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
mines an 04 with 242000 miles....most towing a 28' haulmark around.
best truck i ever owned

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I have a 2005 gmc 2500 and it has been a great truck. Looking at getting a trailer with living quarters and want a dually to pull it with, otherwise I would be keeping my current truck.

It looks really clean, at a 144000, it's just breaking in. I was just curious if there were any known issues with that year.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it's a 2010 (10th digit of vin would be an "A") it doesn't have DEF. There wasn't many 2010's made though. Government mandated Diesel emission requirements go by the calendar year a vehicle is built. (gas requirements are model year, not calendar year) Diesels manufactured in 2010 required DEF. All of the 2010 model year Duramax trucks were actually built in 2009. GM spent a few months re tooling for the new emission requirements so there was no production in 2010 (calendar year) until the 2011 model years were produced.

What I'm saying is, if it's a 2010 model year truck (10 vin digit is A) buy it. If it's a 2011 it's got DEF. Run from it, or buy a programmer and (illegally) remove all of the DEF and other emission stuff. I used to work at a Chevy dealer. I made a BUNCH of money repairing DEF problems, especially on 2011 trucks. The 2012's were better, but there was still a BUNCH of emission problems until 2016 or 2017 models. (I left the dealer in 2015, I'm a former GM Master Tech)

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input, it would be nice if it doesn't have the DEF. I am waiting on additional information from the owner. Definitely looks like a nice truck, I am going to try and go see it this weekend.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it has DEF, The tank is on the pass. side frame rail below the door .

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I am curious if 2010 year models were required to have def how would a 2012 dodge not have it from the factory ?

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
Run from it, or buy a programmer and (illegally) remove all of the DEF and other emission stuff. I used to work at a Chevy dealer. I made a BUNCH of money repairing DEF problems, especially on 2011 trucks.

And my warranty has paid a bunch of money fixing them. Warranty be damned though I bought an SCT. Getting a tune up from Banks is proving to be more difficult. They act like their phones are tapped or somethin... Roll Eyes

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
I am curious if 2010 year models were required to have def how would a 2012 dodge not have it from the factory ?

The government requirements were to meet a certain level of NOx emissions. For GM to meet this requirement either the addition of DEF, a reduction of power or additional fuel consumption was required. NOx generation can be lessened by more EGR or lowering injection timing. Both of these reduce power and increase fuel usage. I suppose Dodge was able to meet the NOx requirement with power and fuel consumption levels that were acceptable to them. The other way would be to "cheat" on the emissions tests like VW did. There's all kinds of trucks running around here with the emissions equipment removed. I've never heard of anyone getting fined, but a dually pulling a race car may targeted even though kids in jacked up bro dozers are left alone.

FWIW I'm not a fan of all this emissions crap. The power output and fuel economy of these modern diesels is amazing. Even more so after you consider all this crippling emissions equipment. The exhaust after treatment (emissions) stuff is so restrictive diesels no longer need mufflers.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
So when did GM get the DEF thing fingered out. Do these problems still plague these trucks if I find something newer? 2011-2015 maybe?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The 2011's were terrible. The '12 through '16 models were a little better but still had their share of problems. I've been told the 17's and newer are good. I've been gone from the dealer since 2016 though.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:

The government requirements were to meet a certain level of NOx emissions. For GM to meet this requirement either the addition of DEF, a reduction of power or additional fuel consumption was required. NOx generation can be lessened by more EGR or lowering injection timing. Both of these reduce power and increase fuel usage. I suppose Dodge was able to meet the NOx requirement with power and fuel consumption levels that were acceptable to them. The other way would be to "cheat" on the emissions tests like VW did. There's all kinds of trucks running around here with the emissions equipment removed. I've never heard of anyone getting fined, but a dually pulling a race car may targeted even though kids in jacked up bro dozers are left alone.

FWIW I'm not a fan of all this emissions crap. The power output and fuel economy of these modern diesels is amazing. Even more so after you consider all this crippling emissions equipment. The exhaust after treatment (emissions) stuff is so restrictive diesels no longer need mufflers.

Thus was a while back but...

https://autoweek.com/article/c...class-action-lawsuit

I thought I heard they Dodge/Chrysler/fiat bought smog credits from the other two MFG. Correct me if I am wrong. Cat said screw it we are not playin that game. I had to repair a bunch of the first models on bigger trucks and I’m here to tell you, that SH IT stinks terrible. Ammonia big time! Actually evacuated a fire station because of the stinch!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I have a 2011 Silverado 2500 HD crew cab 4wd Duramax deisel. This is the first year of the new engine with all the DEF crap. I have had 18 service calls to repair or replace everything except the DEF tank on my truck. All paid for by Chevrolet. All 8 glow plugs have been replaced, one at a time, during these visits. 3 injectors have been replaced during this time. Knock wood, I have not had a single issue for over a year now. The engine is quiet, doesn't smell, will pull anything and on the highway gets great mileage. City driving is a different story. It is not an economical short drive daily driver. It get's 10.5 mpg around town.
I bought it because my '03 blew up on the way to a race in 2011 and when we were towed into the Chevy dealer I made the switch to a new truck.
It has never let me down. When a check engine light would come on I would head to the dealer as soon as I could and get it fixed. Luckily the dealer has a great hiring policy and most of the young ladies are very attractive and they loved my dog who is always with me so the waiting wasn't to bad. If the repair wasn't going to take too long I waited. If it was more than a couple of hours they would take me home and then come get me at the end of the day.
In retrospect I would never buy a first model year of a new engine. But as luck would have it we were kind of stuck.
That's my story and I'm going to stick to it.
Y'all have a gooden.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post