DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Fastest GM car from the factory?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastest GM car from the factory?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Back in the 60"s and 70"s who had the fastest GM factory car in the 1/4 mile?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60's Dave Strickler had one of the fastest Chevy A/Stockers. In the 70's having the fastest GM car was probably shared by several people.

Bob

Posts: 3066 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about cars as they came off showroom floor? If so, I would guess a Buick skylark gsx. The 455 came in at 500 ftlbs of torque so if ordered correctly it has the potential to be pretty quick and fast.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The quickest and fastest GM muscle car from the muscle car era was the 1970 LS6 Chevelle. Iirc, in showroom trim, tuned by GM engineers it ran 13.2 @ 103

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Read this,
https://www.caranddriver.com/f...fastest-muscle-cars/

All da m cool and fast !

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Back in the 60's Dave Strickler had one of the fastest Chevy A/Stockers. In the 70's having the fastest GM car was probably shared by several people.

Bob

Our buddy Buzz raced with Grumpy and Strickler. Some really cool stories told about the big cars, then Novas and Camaros. Very innovative thinking.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4469 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He!! I raced with Jenkins and Strickler and don;t know anything!

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
He!! I raced with Jenkins and Strickler and don;t know anything!

Let me rephrase that.
He not only raced with them, He worked with them. Jenkins supplied his power.

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Read this,

All da m cool and fast !

What engine was in #2 camaro? 7000 shift point they are saying

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6356 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
What engine was in #2 camaro? 7000 shift point they are saying[/QUOTE]

Bucky I think it was the DZ302. The give away was 2 4 barrels sucking a whole in the atmosphere. And Sam Posey driving. Those were the ones developed for the transam series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Floyd Staggs,

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What Ed said may be true as my brother has one of those LS6 70 Chevelles he bought new and it ran 13.50 Just like he bought it. I had a 69 Trans Am at the time with a RA 3 or 4 in it and the Chevelle was faster. Took them 50 years to catch up

Posts: 6197 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Best I ever got out of my ls6 Chevelle was 13.30s but that was with slicks and headers. My driving a four speed was poor at best. Should have never sold that one.

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Read this,

All da m cool and fast !

Floyd’s on! DZ 302!
350 was only 300hp
396 steel and Alum head were 375
427 was 425- alum was 435

Brings back memories!!
The 302 motors are bullet proof! I had an original DZ 302 with original heads, plus 30 TRW in my RED 1390#
Ran 8.48 best for super comp! Spun it 8k with stock rods sps bolts. What a blast!

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Barry,
A buddy of mine picked up an original 69 Z28. All numbers matching but no 302. It has a 383 stroker.
He's been looking for a DZ 302 and can't find one, just pieces.
His Z28 was frame off restoration and only has 70 K on the clock. He has all the documentation and a folder showing the restoration. Black with white stripes. It is perfect.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
Barry,
A buddy of mine picked up an original 69 Z28. All numbers matching but no 302. It has a 383 stroker.
He's been looking for a DZ 302 and can't find one, just pieces.
His Z28 was frame off restoration and only has 70 K on the clock. He has all the documentation and a folder showing the restoration. Black with white stripes. It is perfect.

Gotta love that Floyd! Vic, my buddy did a 70 Cortez Silver black stripes. Original z4 speed. Jaw dropper!

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:

Bucky I think it was the DZ302. The give away was 2 4 barrels sucking a whole in the atmosphere. And Sam Posey driving. Those were the ones developed for the transam series.[/QUOTE]

That was my assumption but I always assumed the 302's would be gutless.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6356 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I never knew that about the 302, wow!

Semi related... when I started racing in the late 90s, if you had a 12 second street car, you were bad azz. Now a couple of bolt ons and a tune, modern factory cars are in the 10s.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that stock from the dealer was the Buick GS 455. The DZ 302 was fast with 488 gears and a 4spd.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
I am thinking that stock from the dealer was the Buick GS 455. The DZ 302 was fast with 488 gears and a 4spd.

I had one of those. First with 3.55 gears and then with 4.88 gears. It was a dog, even as a daily driver, with the 3.55 gears. With the 4.88 gear set, it wasn't just "better", it made the car a dream to drive. Even at 55-60 mph, I preferred the 4.88 gears. Never got an ET in that configuration, but I suspect it was pretty stout. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
The Sorenson's re still running the '67 Z28 they bought new in 1967. They took it right to Indy and won, brand new.