DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Smoking/Cooking Brisket Today & Working on Race Program
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking/Cooking Brisket Today & Working on Race Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm stuffed! The brisket was excellent. It went to the top of the list of items so far. As Barry said "I don’t think I’ve had a bad meal yet!" The treager is almost fool proof.

Nice TD! I should have taken a pic of the brisket.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2501 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's the plan for tonight's dinner, bear butt chicken.

I forgot, I need to finish the rotor phasing on the 68 this morning.

https://www.traegergrills.com/...pes/beer-can-chicken

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2501 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of good BBQ know-how in this discussion! Wink
I celebrated my 62nd birthday, and smoked a 12 Lb brisket Saturday, in a traditional smoker / pit and it came out almost perfect. Room temp for 1 hour, rubbed with oil and 3 different dry rubs, then in the pit for 12 hours at 225-250*, using Pecan wood chunks from B&B. (Basically 8 inch long sections of 3 to 4 inch diameter Pecan logs, that are split in halves). I was mixing briquettes with the wood, out of fear of over-smoking it. Pulled it out at 4 hours, (meat 160*), wrapped it in 2 layers of parchment & 2 layers of foil, added a bit of apple juice for moisture and back on for another 8 hours. Pecan is so much milder of a smoke than Hickory or Mesquite, it really could have used a bit more/longer smoke. Pulled it out at 197*, left it wrapped, placed in an empty cooler for 2 hours, (to cool slowly and return the juices to the center of the meat-You can also do this in your oven at room temp). Trimmed it, separated Point & Flat halves, and sliced the flat about 1/4" thick. Had a great bark, and nice looking smoke ring, really tender and tasty. I cut the point half into Burnt Ends, (1 inch cubes), tossed them in a brown-sugar/molasses based sauce, (You can use KC Masterpiece Original or Sweet Baby Ray's in a pinch), then into a foil pan and back on the smoker for another hour to caramelize. That was like dessert after the sliced brisket dinner! Smoky Sweet Heaven! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I see a lot of good BBQ know-how in this discussion! Wink
I celebrated my 62nd birthday, and smoked a 12 Lb brisket Saturday, in a traditional smoker / pit and it came out almost perfect. Room temp for 1 hour, rubbed with oil and 3 different dry rubs, then in the pit for 12 hours at 225-250*, using Pecan wood chunks from B&B. (Basically 8 inch long sections of 3 to 4 inch diameter Pecan logs, that are split in halves). I was mixing briquettes with the wood, out of fear of over-smoking it. Pulled it out at 4 hours, (meat 160*), wrapped it in 2 layers of parchment & 2 layers of foil, added a bit of apple juice for moisture and back on for another 8 hours. Pecan is so much milder of a smoke than Hickory or Mesquite, it really could have used a bit more/longer smoke. Pulled it out at 197*, left it wrapped, placed in an empty cooler for 2 hours, (to cool slowly and return the juices to the center of the meat-You can also do this in your oven at room temp). Trimmed it, separated Point & Flat halves, and sliced the flat about 1/4" thick. Had a great bark, and nice looking smoke ring, really tender and tasty. I cut the point half into Burnt Ends, (1 inch cubes), tossed them in a brown-sugar/molasses based sauce, (You can use KC Masterpiece Original or Sweet Baby Ray's in a pinch), then into a foil pan and back on the smoker for another hour to caramelize. That was like dessert after the sliced brisket dinner! Smoky Sweet Heaven! Smile

Footbrake, Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you did something you enjoy & doing it old school. You made me hungry for brisket again!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436