DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Smoking/Cooking Brisket Today & Working on Race Program
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoking/Cooking Brisket Today & Working on Race Program
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I'm smoking/cooking brisket today, how's that for a thread derail!

I'm removing myself from this thread (plus, my post count is getting to high). It turned into a train wreck, mainly by 2 members. With some help from a few others.

Enough Said!

A cooking/smoking thread. H**l yes. Right up my
alley. And don't forget to post em up. Ya never know. Maybe it will turn into a China smoker slam fest. lol

Since, I was given a smoker & all this down time. I've had a bucket list of items I've wanted to smoke/cook. I do 99% of the cooking & have used a gas grill in the past. Cooking: burgers, dogs, steaks, pork, fish, lobster, shrimp & veggies to name a few. Basically, what I call cookie cutter food. Here's my bucket list of items I have never cooked: I started with a pork loin & 18 lb. turkey (I've cooked these before on grill, but never smoked). Baby back ribs, jerk shrimp, brisket (today) & beer butt chicken this weekend. I'm sure I've forgotten some items I've cooked or want to cook.

Smoking/cooking in between: practice tree drills, race car(s) preparation, cheap entertainment on DRR (adding to train wrecks), planting rose bushes, trees & tomato plants & I can't forget the honey do list(s).

Post up, derail or let the thread die! I don't care, because my post count is getting out of control. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2499 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have an 8lb pork butt hitting the smoker tomorrow am. It's in the brine for the next 18 hrs, then the smoker for another 8/10 hrs. I'm with you on smoking meat. Do you brine it first or do you have another recipe? In the interim, back to the shop and work on the S/ST build.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That's livin!!

This week after work it has been helping my wife make some counter height tables for the basement kitchen area. The kitchen is in, and we used butcher block for the counter. So two 7' tables in an L will be the eat in area with stools. 2" square tubing legs and cross members. Tig welded just because. LOL. Clearing over bright metal to keep it from rusting.

Last week it was shelf brackets, for some 3" thick horse stantion board salvaged. Gotta go racing soon to get me out of the endless projects!

Brisket is my fav. I just hammer by hand with seasoning and salt the night before, then into the smoker with heavy smoke for 3 hours. Then out, into foil, and watch the temp until it gets there. I usually set the temp at 160. Do butt's the same way pretty much. We did a test with on butt wrapped and one we just smoked then entire time. The wrapped one was much quicker and same smoke flavor. We seem to get the most smoke influence in the first 3 hours.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bucky, feel your pain. However, our beaches here in St Lucie county have reopened and the boating restrictions have eased. Tracks still closed, NUTS.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Do you brine it first or do you have another recipe? In the interim, back to the shop and work on the S/ST build.

I haven't used brine yet. This is a Traeger recipe using dry rub. It gets smoked bare on the smoker set @180* for 5-7 hrs, till 160*. Then rapped in tin foil with beef broth. Smoker set @ 225* for 4-5 hrs, until slightly over 200*.

This is the 1st time, but you can hardly go wrong with their recipes.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2499 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gotta try that.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
https://www.traegergrills.com/...pes/midnight-brisket

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Son just got a smaller Traeger 2 weeks ago. He did a small pork loin. I was impressed on just how tender and moist it was. When i do boneless, instead of the brine. I use the stainless injector with my secret mixture and away we go. Sit in the fridge for 12-14 hours, then dry rub it. I learned a little trick on a quick sear at 500 in the stove. Then a slow cook @225 in the smoker wrapped in foil... Look out lol. I have to laugh, my son and i are always at each other throat on who is the Boss doing the cook out. Tells me. You can't smoke lol.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used a similar recipe but when I took it off the smoker I wrapped it in a towel(get one your hate) and put in an ice chest for 2 hours.. It fell apart..

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
TD, I have to cuss you out for this idea (my post count going up). I was hoping this was going to be a dead-end thread, but I can tell you guys have the same passion for cooking as I.

I thought this would a nice distraction from the derails, train wrecks, politics & corona.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The best thread. No slam fest at all. Peaceful with the best ideas, new tips and tricks. Heck we have even taken the smoker to the track and finished it there and really enjoyed the meal after the event. The one year at the track, one of the guys did 2 25 Lb Bone less shoulders. Even had the smoked beans with the 4 layer smoked mac and cheese. See what you started. lol Good food great friends, Great event. Priceless.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/buffalo-wings

I've never made buffalo wings before. I followed the above recipe with 2 exceptions: for sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray's buffalo wing sauce & for the final step I threw them on the gas grill to blacken them up. Note: while the sauce tasted pretty hot/spicy before cooking. I would rate the wings mild for heat after they were finished. When I make them again, I'll do two 4 lb bags & I'll spice up the sauce. Red Face

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Local grocery store had pork butt for .99/lb. I bought some. The boy checking me out scanned the last package, and tells me the total and smacks the package lightly. "Wow" I said. He looks up...."You just smacked my butt". Kid was crackin up.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Local grocery store had pork butt for .99/lb. I bought some. The boy checking me out scanned the last package, and tells me the total and smacks the package lightly. "Wow" I said. He looks up...."You just smacked my butt". Kid was crackin up.

I'm putting Pork Butt on my list to do. Thanks for the funny story to boot.

I wanted to keep with my thread title, but we have been in a heat warning. So, I haven't got much done in the shop. I Need to finish the rotor phasing on the 68 Camaro.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Fellas..... I have the Treager and I don’t think I’ve had a bad meal yet! My brother brought down a Top Cut??its huge ! Like 20+, do I smoke it , grill it , shoot it?? Ideas??
Customer I built a 67 Camaro Fast EFI 427 gave it to me as a bonus. Guess he’s happy?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Fellas..... I have the Treager and I don’t think I’ve had a bad meal yet! My brother brought down a Top Cut??its huge ! Like 20+, do I smoke it , grill it , shoot it?? Ideas??
Customer I built a 67 Camaro Fast EFI 427 gave it to me as a bonus. Guess he’s happy?

Heck no clue, it's huge. LOL! Maybe you should quarter that thing? Even at 5 lbs ea. it's going to be an all day deal. No Treager recipe for it?

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No.. have never heard of a Top Cut. ?? Brother suggested I cut it too.
Where’s the beef? I found it!

Turkey is excellent!
I also smoked a 58” Sturgeon! Talk about good!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
The best thread. No slam fest at all. Peaceful with the best ideas, new tips and tricks. Heck we have even taken the smoker to the track and finished it there and really enjoyed the meal after the event. The one year at the track, one of the guys did 2 25 Lb Bone less shoulders. Even had the smoked beans with the 4 layer smoked mac and cheese. See what you started. lol Good food great friends, Great event. Priceless.

I’m doing corn bread on ours. M/C sounds good!

Raceless in California!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The thing about pork butt is that you can get so darned much food out of one. Nice on sandwiches, and awesome on Nachos and tacos. We have it on pizza....kid you not.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I'm putting Pork Butt on my list to do. Thanks for the funny story to boot.

I wanted to keep with my thread title, but we have been in a heat warning. So, I haven't got much done in the shop. I Need to finish the rotor phasing on the 68 Camaro.

We normally get the boneless.. I'm looking for the smoked prime rib pic i did for New Years.

Ready to go..