DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Towing down I-77 South
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing down I-77 South
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted
My wife and I are planning on racing the spring fling race next year at GALOT and wanted to hear any suggestions or tips for towing on I-77 through the West Virginia/Virginia mountains to make the tow as easy and stress free as possible. We will be towing with a 34’ Damon Daybreak with the 8.1L and pulling a 28’ Vintage Outlaw with a tube chassis Vega and four wheeler. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Been a couple of years but I've done it in a tractor trailer quite a few times. It's a very scenic ride. Mountains aren't that bad as far as mountains go. Plenty of open stretches with no services. You'll get a break in Wytheville,VA which is a good place to fuel. Then down Fancy Gap and into NC. You will have tolls in VA.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
We have drove 77 many times in a car on our way to Florida. We are already planning on stopping at the beckley travel plaza to rest and relax when we come down for the fling

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
West Virginia has 3 toll booths, and mountains take your time, have your brakes on trailer adjusted and you will be fine.

Posts: 62 | Location: south carolina | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I drive this all the time as I own property on the Ohio river North of Parkersburg, WV. Get all the fuel you can in Ohio as WV is out of sight. You hit I-81 with I-77 at Wythville, VA plenty of cheap fuel and places to eat. I think it is either 7 or 9 miles down hill after Fancy Gap, VA which means take it easy and its a pretty good pull going back North. I'll be going up that way to Bristol in a couple of weeks and to River property the week before. Get off I-77 at Exit 101 in NC, I-74, take that to I-40 East to I-95 South. I forget the exit number but it comes up pretty quick. That's all interstate. You want a shorter more pleasant ride down through the country get off of I-40 onto US 421 at Greensboro and take it to Dunn and go North on I-95. This is the way I always go to Benson (Galot) Need more info send me a PM

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you stop at the Beckley rest are go to Tamarack right above it.https://www.tamarackwv.com/
If you're traveling through and time allows check Farmington Wilkesboro and Piedmont's schedules.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wythville, VA plenty of cheap fuel

Not true anymore. All the Wytheville truck stops are expensive on fuel now. Plus Va. just passed an additional increase of 2.1% on fuel anywhere on I-81. Fuel is now cheaper in NC.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hard to get from Ohio to NC without a fuel stop and I thought VA fuel was higher last time I rolled through. I avoid those truck stops and go to the last stop before the split where McDonalds is on the North bound side. I am 72ft long and plenty of room + no increased price for using a credit card there. Gas has dropped about $.35 here in central NC in the past month. $2.30 yesterday.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
West Virginia turnpike just had an increase in tolls. Still cheaper than any other turnpike. Like mentioned, get gas in Ohio and Wytheville still tends to be cheaper for gas or comparable to other stops but gives you a nice break after West Virginia.

Fancy Gap can be the hardest part of your tow, going down and coming up. It is an amazing view from the mountain side traveling thru but can also be a handful depending on the wind and weather conditions.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Be careful coming out of the tunnels, wind got ahold of my motorhome one time and good thing the other lane was empty.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
Take your time and enjoy the view, beautiful country side

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post