DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Local parts store prices
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local parts store prices
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it have killed them to use stainless for the brake lines? I replaced every damn brake line on my 2000 Silverado. Really wasn't used much in the winter. Had to replace the rockers and cab corners though.

To much $$ for them to spend !!
I'm going to buy a new pickup in the spring
A Canyon.....I have no need of a tow vehicle and the downsized trucks are perfect for me....and their nice...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did and I do wash my trucks every week, especially in the winter. $57/month unlimited washes.

That truck had engine issues but all the lines were the original lines when I sold it in early 2015.

FYI, I get all my parts from Frank’s GMC.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
Would it have killed them to use stainless for the brake lines? I replaced every damn brake line on my 2000 Silverado. Really wasn't used much in the winter. Had to replace the rockers and cab corners though.

A Canyon.....I have no need of a tow vehicle and the downsized trucks are perfect for me....and their nice...

The contractor that built our house now drives a canyon, with a 5.3. I was unaware before that you could get an ls in one.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I did and I do wash my trucks every week, especially in the winter. $57/month unlimited washes.

That truck had engine issues but all the lines were the original lines when I sold it in early 2015.

The washes had to help

Our work vans are on the road every day and do get washed but not all the time and none of them ever rusted much. It's strange to me how or why they are not so bad yet many pickups are a mess ??

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh I’m aware of the lines rusting on these trucks but I never experienced it.

Btw, I typically get 70,000 plus on GM brakes and I was lucky to get half of that on aftermarket brakes.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ass hole post the quote or stfu p u s s y. You’ve had your chance to back up your mouth here and have shown everyone watching in person that you ain’t got shyt for me again this year when you were standing 75 feet from me in the lanes and everyone that was with me said “he won’t come over” How many more years do we have to wait? No balls!

quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Didn’t even see you in the lanes, must have looked right over your head! Big Grin

Ed was hiding behind his midget bodyguard.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:

The contractor that built our house now drives a canyon, with a 5.3. I was unaware before that you could get an ls in one.

V6's or a 4 banger Turbo Diesel

I'm not aware or have seen of one with the LS based 5.3 and never saw it offered as an option

I went to the track in March to get my car re-cert done and the racer next to me was towing an enclosed trailer with his dragster inside with a new Turbo Diesel powered Canyon or Colorado

He said it was excellent......towed great..

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I looked at a Canyon until I saw the reviews. You might look them over before you buy.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They did put 5.3s in the Colorados 09 to 12. I worked with someone that had one. I did have to Google the years though. He wasn't real happy with it & got a fullsize truck.

For brake lines, I replace with ni-cop. They carry it in 25' rolls at Napa & Advanced. Easy to use but kind of difficult to look neat.
Like said earlier, the brine kills them quicker than from salt. The way I see it they brine the entire road prior to a storm, instead of salting where needed. Salt water is cheap compared to rock salt.

PS: SCDIV1, Looks like the Phillies will be playing Houston Go Phillies Just having fun!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
They did put 5.3s in the Colorados 09 to 12. I worked with someone that had one. I did have to Google the years though. He wasn't real happy with it & got a fullsize truck.

For brake lines, I replace with ni-cop. They carry it in 25' rolls at Napa & Advanced. Easy to use but kind of difficult to look neat.
Like said earlier, the brine kills them quicker than from salt. The way I see it they brine the entire road prior to a storm, instead of salting where needed. Salt water is cheap compared to rock salt.

PS: SCDIV1, Looks like the Phillies will be playing Houston Go Phillies Just having fun!

My Yankees are dead, put a fork in them....They suc'ed bad....Might get swept....Embarassing....Astro's are their Daddy's..

Phillies came out of nowhere and are looking good....

P.S. I used the Ni-CO line just as you described....No way in hell you could put pre bent lines in there.

The pre made stainless fuel lines I installed was a bear to do.....but they are in there.....

I still have 2 lines that connect to the fuel tank but it does not look like getting them in without pulling the bed or lowering the fuel tank is likely.

It's been fine with my rubed up connection on the return line......

I've spoken to various people about the downsized trucks and gotten only positive feedback including from a dealer mechanic and his father who is a service manager....

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

You must drive to NYC in a sealed dry tube in the winters ! LOL
I don't know anyone with a GM pickup from that era that didn't suffer from rusted everything lines and I see much newer trucks with rusted out rear wheel openings every day....
Mine did it there too....I covered it with larger wheel flares

Drivers side is always the worst due to the buildup of the brine spray on the roads

Only thing I'm guilty of is never going to a car wash regularly

I washed the heck out of my old white truck and it rusted anyway but nowhere near as bad as my current truck

It's your money and your choice to buy wherever and whatever parts you prefer.....[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When I worked at a Toyota dealer years ago, there was a chassis rust recall on the Tacomas & Tundras - they would inspect the frame by hitting it with a hammer in several spots. If it was solid, the truck got undercoated & rustproofed. If it was rusted through in spots, it got a new chassis (or Toyota bought you out of it depending on the year). It was amazing how some of the most well-cared for nice looking trucks would be completely rotted to the point where you could poke your fingers through the chassis while some of the most beat up work trucks would be completely solid. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason... I guess it just depends on where it's primarily driven and how they treat the roads.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
Well parts stores have sure changed since I remember working at Nationwide Auto Parts after high school and thru college. They actually HAD auto related parts and not all this decorative crap you see today.

A buddy of mine turned me onto O'rielly's which I have found to be pretty good on supplying what I need from time to time. Prices here at least in Ohio are pretty competitive and sometimes with their online order discount I have save serious $ from other parts houses.

Luckily here in Southwest Ohio we still have some true hard core parts houses in the area.

"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.

Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
quote:
All my parts are OEM from the dealer and I pay no more for them than online, that means I’m smarter than most here buying junk from auto zone and online. NahNahTounge

I'd say rather the "smarter" it is a "BIG LIAR"!!!!!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phillies came out of nowhere and are looking good....

Nothing to do with parts store pricing.

Congratulations to the Phillies for winning the NLCS over the San Diego Padres. You folks in Philly have a team to be proud of. Same for all the Houston fans, you also have an amazing team!

Good luck to both teams in the World Series!!!!

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Several years back, I worked on a Dodge dealership parts counter. One of the most popular part numbers we carried was the oil filter that ends in "030". It fits a LOT of Mopars. Of course, they were the filters that we charged out on in shop jobs. Every once in awhile, a walk in customer would want one too. Those walk in customers were shocked that the filter didn't come with a box, since we ordered them in bulk. But they sold, because we were the only place you could buy them. Same deal with genuine ATF +4 in genuine Mopar bottles.

Enter WalMart. Mother Mopar decided they could increase their profit by selling these same 030 oil filters and ATF +4 quarts to WalMart. WalMart was able to sell them at an incredibly good price. How good? The price that we, at the Dodge parts counter had to pay MORE to reorder the bulk filters and ATF+4 than WalMart was retailing them for!

Even if you prefer genuine OEM 030 filters and/or genuine ATF+4 filter, buy them from WalMart, not from the dealer's counter. That's where I bought them, even when I was working behind a Dodge parts counter.

And by the way, we would have restocked those items straight from WalMart, rather than from Mother Mopar, but Mopar had that scheme covered. If you couldn't show you had ordered enough of these items directly from them, they would use it to deny some of your warranty claims. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So I just picked up parts for my truck from the GM dealer. Included in this parts order is rear rotors and pads. Checked Rockauto for shyts and giggles and their price including tax and shipping ($32.98) is $443.31. My price from the GM dealer including tax was $351.33.

Nuff said!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I just picked up parts for my truck from the GM dealer. Included in this parts order is rear rotors and pads. Checked Rockauto for shyts and giggles and their price including tax and shipping ($32.98) is $443.31. My price from the GM dealer including tax was $351.33.

Nuff said!

My 2005 GMC 2500 HD with 152,000 miles, still had the original brakes/rotors. The parts/service was done at the GM dealer when needed. My new 2023 Chevy 3500 HD High Country will have the same GM service. My time is too valuable to F__K around with my daily's. The same for my Dodge Ram, except it goes to Dodge.

I use the local parts houses/stores for my shop supplies.

BK, I said more!

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2520 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post