New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mullis dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Getting ready to buy a new to me dragster. Gonna retire the the old racetech hardtail and am about 90% on buying this mullis car. Car belonged to Rusty Cook at one time. I’m hearing mullis no longer exists so I couldn’t just order a motorplate or mid plate if I needed to. I’ve never heard anything bad about mullis what are your opinions?

Posts: 4 | Location: Clinton Township Michigan | Registered: September 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A Mullis motor or mid plate, will be a Phantom motor or mid plate.

Should not be that hard to find / acquire.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
You mention Phantom, do you have contact information? I am considering a new dragster to replace my 25 year old dragster.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdbsmith:
You mention Phantom, do you have contact information? I am considering a new dragster to replace my 25 year old dragster.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Everyone knows who was behind Phantom. Wouldn't make sense I throw the guys name out there on the net, without knowing for sure. Maybe you know more than I? Have they stopped building Phantom? I dunno. I assumed it was a Phantom that won Super Comp at the US Nationals last weekend. If there is still a contact for Phantom, he can help ya with it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Phantom is still around, they just built Britt Cummings' new car. Their Facebook page has been pretty silent recently, but I'm sure either of the Williams brothers or any of the Cummings family can get you up to date contact information, mine may be outdated. About 6 years ago, I had been in contact with them along with a couple of friends about getting 3 matching chassis built. They quoted us a fair price and the cars I've seen (only 2 of them) look well built and laid out. I loved the way they sit but the guys I was going to build twin cars with got out of racing and I never pursued a new car on my own.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just realized I never commented on the original post, the older mullis cars were light and seem to work well there are probably a dozen cars from the late 90s early 2000s around here. Most of them are hard tails with no issues. I do know that after the 06 year, Forrester got away from mullis race cars and many cars from that point and later weren't uncommon to crack in places. Not devastating damage or anything, but my guess is quality went down somehow, be it builder or materials used I'm not certain. The older cars carried a reputation of being among the best and at 20 years old, many are holding up well which in my eyes earned that reputation.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do know that after the 06 year, Forrester got away from mullis race cars and many cars from that point and later weren't uncommon to crack in places. Not devastating damage or anything, but my guess is quality went down somehow, be it builder or materi

extremely fake news!!
ive got a 2007 mullis with a blower running 6 teens to 6 twenties...absolutely flawless.quality of the build is exceptional.i check this thing from front to back every season,she perfect

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That car and it's sister ran at one of my local tracks when they were built. They are two absolutely beautiful rides. I think the sister car ended up in Canada. I didn't mean to imply that all cars did it from that generation, or that they aren't good cars, rather as a comparison to their older cars in the areas I've raced in.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You are correct.they where house cars built to showcase and sell the mullis brand so i got lucky!

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I had 2 Mullis dragsters - a '97 hardtail and a 2000 4-link. Both great cars... I had the 4-link for about 10 years and hundreds of runs, it was deadly and never so much as a broken upright. I think the company changing hands and fading away hurt their resale value, but I'd buy another if I came across a deal. I did have to replace the mid plate on one and I believe it was drop-shipped from Goza, so I'd assume that's who was making them for Mullis and they could probably make you one if Goza is still around?

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Good to know about using phantom if needed. It seems like the mullis cars sell quickly so they had to be desirable. I won’t miss the violence of my hardtail on the starting line that’s for sure

Posts: 4 | Location: Clinton Township Michigan | Registered: September 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
bob
there was a guy in canada,jeff moser that had a beautiful phantom dragster.he did extremely well with that car.i think he just sold it. appear to be good cars

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
the late 90s early 2000s around here. Most of them are hard tails with no issues. I do know that The older cars carried a reputation of being among the best and at 20 years old, many are holding up well which in my eyes earned that reputation.

Ben Worthy (Worthy Race Cars) did the welding/fab on the Mullis cars until the early 2000's .. when he stepped out on his own ... we had a 01 Mullis 4 link --GREAT car ---but if we had any chassis questions , Ben had the answer ....Forrester didn't have a clue ...

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I remember Jeff Moser from racing at Grand Bend. I didn’t know him but knew of him. He got his first dragster from a friend of mine. I’ve walked around some of the phantom cars. They are nice. This mullis fits my budget but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a little feedback.
Paul the fact that worthy worked at mullis makes sense to me now. I noticed that both brands had the CO2 gauges mounted in the dash and I had never seen that on other brands

DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
Ben Worthy could also send a motor plate /midplate if needed. he's still building new cars everyday

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear worthy is still building cars. I always loved their roadsters.