DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Gators Champ Knows Miracles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gators Champ Knows Miracles
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"...they told me I woulda’ been dead in three months if it had not been for that NHRA physical."

https://dragracingedge.com/miracles/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Great story.

I did'nt know you don't have to have a phyiscal to renew anymore, is that true?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good read, John. I too went to an annual physical and they found my PSA test shot up from about 5 to 19. Went through all the tests and ended up getting my prostate removed. Go to your doc, guys, most insurance gives a free physical every year. It's no different than checking your rod bearings after 300 passes.

Posts: 321 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: October 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Great story.

I did'nt know you don't have to have a phyiscal to renew anymore, is that true?
yes it's true for anything less then advanced et . And in my opinion it's a terrible change in the rules, examples like this have happened so many times i can't remember them all. Men won't go to the doctor on their own, if they have to race, they do.....

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Men won't go to the doctor on their own, if they have to race, they do.....

Please, save the nanny state commentary. Freedom first! We all have to die sometime. One's health is one's own responsibility, we're all big boys.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2329 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
Men won't go to the doctor on their own, if they have to race, they do.....

Please, save the nanny state commentary. Freedom first! We all have to die sometime. One's health is one's own responsibility, we're all big boys.

Thank you! Agreed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How about when you Kiel over and die mid run like the 3 guys last year tjat did just that, why should I be in the other lane with a person that shouldn't be in a car in the first place?

If it was just your life, I dont give **** if you die. But it's not...

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of PostHaste
posted Hide Post
I'm 100% with Will on this one.

Posts: 15 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Slack is a good guy and knows he is lucky to have beat the hand he was dealt.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cgall:
Good read, John. I too went to an annual physical and they found my PSA test shot up from about 5 to 19. Went through all the tests and ended up getting my prostate removed. Go to your doc, guys, most insurance gives a free physical every year. It's no different than checking your rod bearings after 300 passes.[/QUOTE

using checking rods every 300 rule mean I would have to go to doctor once a month. LOL

Just throw little humor to serious thread.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, it's all about you, your sympathy is overwhelming. You must really be paranoid driving to the track with all those "un-physicaled" drivers. How about they tether the cars to the lane like a slot car with a chain and lock. Safety first!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2329 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
How about when you Kiel over and die mid run like the 3 guys last year tjat did just that, why should I be in the other lane with a person that shouldn't be in a car in the first place?

Well that would be a great argument, if it were relevant. It isn't. This guy had cancer. You don't drop dead unwittingly from cancer. And the physicals that are required generally won't catch the widowmakers that would kill ya going down the track. NHRA's insurance wouldn't have let them drop this physical requirement if their actuaries had told them that this practice was effective in preventing on track incidents due to physical conditions. Obviously they found that it didn't.

In no way am I arguing that people shouldn't go to the dr and get checked out regularly. I am saying that the racing sanctioning body ought to have no say in the matter if they have no proof that it prevents on track incidents.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6360 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately they can not check for everything. Back in 2013 I had my SC physical on a Tuesday, everything OK and my Doc was impressed with my health and age. Two days later I was admitted with a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. Luckily it was removed and not malignant. I was lucky the symptoms came abreast in my sleep and not while I was driving, my occupation, nor while racing. Good Lord looks out for racers as well as drunks.

Posts: 74 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Runner-up:
Unfortunately they can not check for everything. Back in 2013 I had my SC physical on a Tuesday, everything OK and my Doc was impressed with my health and age. Two days later I was admitted with a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. Luckily it was removed and not malignant. I was lucky the symptoms came abreast in my sleep and not while I was driving, my occupation, nor while racing. Good Lord looks out for racers as well as drunks.

Why look out for drunks? They seem to survive the worst accidents while the innocent people die. Should be the other way around. The drunk drivers should die in a fire, very slowly!

As to the previous NHRA mandated physicals, that is how I found out I was diabetic. I was fine for years after getting my license, and then like a switch, my A1C went from low 6's to 8's. Was able to get that under control. Didn't find my cancer though, but it found me!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Great story John !

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
First, sorry I beat your daughter first round John but I had too. I was doing good until I ran into that buzzsaw Ray Miller Jr. in the sixth round. Second, I talked to Greg about 5th round while we were waiting in the lanes and we were both discussing the medical problems we have beaten, his and my AV Fistula. Mine was back in 2013 at Virginia div race, took 4 yrs to get me back with the help of my neurosurgical nurse wife and the surgeon she hand picked to perform the procedure. We both said how a higher power sometimes looks over us in strange ways. I met him years ago, he came over and said don't I know you? Then I refreshed his memory about 10-15yrs earlier, he said the chemo does affect his memory a bit. Happy he ended up winning the event.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris701,

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
NHRA's insurance wouldn't have let them drop this physical requirement if their actuaries had told them that this practice was effective in preventing on track incidents due to physical conditions

Its NHRA's fault you don't go to the doctor?

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I.P. Dailey:
quote:
NHRA's insurance wouldn't have let them drop this physical requirement if their actuaries had told them that this practice was effective in preventing on track incidents due to physical conditions

Its NHRA's fault you don't go to the doctor?

I don't need NHRA to tell me to go.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Great story!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post