DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Holding and Killing #'s Questions
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holding and Killing #'s Questions
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
Typically I try to dial honest. What I`ve learned from racing a V6 2bbl car where I think I`m honest, but could be holding .03, on the dial or off by .02. Learning from decades of that fiasco has helped with racing one of the slowest -by choice Wink - S/P cars at my home track. In the end, practice is the biggest benefit!

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
[QUOTE] The package size is pretty much pointless by itself.

That's not what SHE said....

Laughing Hard

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6381 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Take less stripe than you win the tree by, your win comes on 100% of the time.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Who holds anything? Just asking?

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I range from being dialed dead honest to holding a tenth, just a matter of how long I hold the button down.

Big Grin

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Good Reply

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
After watching the Vegas fling I wanted to bring this back up. I have paid for some of the This is Bracket Racing Elite packs.

Luke preaches how you need to hold numbers quite a bit. Almost like 75% of the time you should be either catching your opponent early and riding with them, or spot dropping.

However, when I watched the spring fling vegas on bangshift, they kept showing the screen every run. 99% of his runs the MPH matched the ET.

I just thought it was interesting how much he preaches holding, but he rarely holds.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Trust me ,he's holding a little every pass.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Most people are holding in Super Pro today, myself included. My ET is usually in the middle of the pack so I adjust what I'm holding accordingly. Set for .007 and plan to push them out.

I usually don't care about their trap speed, closing time, color of their car, burnout length, or any other scheme they have against me. You can spray, dump, hit the brakes, put it in reverse, eat a 4 course meal, I couldn't care less.

I make a judgement call at the mph cone, and react right after.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So many people hold anymore, it almost seems like you're better off racing yourself. Meaning figure out how to hit the tree, and go dead on, be it by spot dropping, ripping it at half track, or dialing to go dead on.

It seems like you can't really race the other guy anymore. Just need to check and see if they're broke on the line.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
After watching the Vegas fling I wanted to bring this back up. I have paid for some of the This is Bracket Racing Elite packs.

Luke preaches how you need to hold numbers quite a bit. Almost like 75% of the time you should be either catching your opponent early and riding with them, or spot dropping.

However, when I watched the spring fling vegas on bangshift, they kept showing the screen every run. 99% of his runs the MPH matched the ET.

I just thought it was interesting how much he preaches holding, but he rarely holds.

I don't know Luke, never met him, never took any of his classes, but I do have a ton of respect for his success. That said, I believe his success is more a product of how many passes he makes as opposed to his tactics. I bet he could dial honest, hit the tree, drive it all the way past the stripe, and still win as much practice as he gets and how well he knows his cars.

I'm going to race this weekend. Haven't had an opportunity to race since April 2. I'll be at a disadvantage to everybody there who's been racing every weekend. It is what it is, and it's on me to make the best of it.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Luke, most defintely holds. against who and what round all play into how many numbers he's holding as do all the hitters you see winning these events.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

I don't know Luke, never met him, never took any of his classes, but I do have a ton of respect for his success. That said, I believe his success is more a product of how many passes he makes as opposed to his tactics. I bet he could dial honest, hit the tree, drive it all the way past the stripe, and still win as much practice as he gets and how well he knows his cars.

I'm going to race this weekend. Haven't had an opportunity to race since April 2. I'll be at a disadvantage to everybody there who's been racing every weekend. It is what it is, and it's on me to make the best of it.

Saw a video during The Flings were Luke said he hasn't been home in nine weeks! That's a lot of seat time!

I race a slow,piece of ****,cut up sh1t box, So what would I know? Haven't raced in a few years but got four new tires( Hoosiers). Just have to see if it still
runs and kill the mice!
I'll dial honest until I don't want to.

I've had 85+MPH difference in the quarter
mile. Three second head starts in the ⅛ mile. Won some and lost some.

I'll still race, fastest or slowest, it's still a race!

According to some, you need a tribal painted, BBC powered,suspended dragster with a lot of bling to race anymore. Spend a sh1t load of money to win 10% of its worth if that, especially including truck/mh and trailer, more like 4% if lucky.

My 2 cents and my ramblings!

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
haven't read that here, who said that?

Be truthful, it's been a lot more than "a few years" you haven't race.

That said, there are a handful of racers in the country that are cash positive after deducting seasonal racing expenses, a few more that are breaking even after deducting seasonal racing expenses, then we are left with the majority who are turning money into noise.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Nobody will argue with that one. The biggest advantage to some is they can deduct the racing as legitimate business advertising to reduce income taxes. Even the IRS can't tell you that you advertise too much.

Good luck to all you racers this season, hope we have better weather coming up.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 237 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Luke, most defintely holds. against who and what round all play into how many numbers he's holding as do all the hitters you see winning these events.

True statement. I would bet he's never honest.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have never understood why so many drivers "swear by" holding numbers, to me you are taking too much of a risk/gamble at the finish line. Isn't the goal to make your car consistent & be able to run the same thing every pass? my dad has always dialed honest, occasionally he will dial up or down some depending on track conditions/his opponent. I'm not bashing those that do it most of them win driving that way.

J.K. Hodges

Posts: 45 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't go into every run trying to put down a .015-.020 package, my goal is to hit the tree and have a package about .005-.010 better than the other guy. If I can't take the stripe without using up my "held" numbers it transfers to getting him as deep into the MPH cones as I can and setting them loose.

Holding numbers is about giving yourself more tools to win the race. Dialed honest, it gets really hard to win the race with a worse tree.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A lot to be said for the (be .00 and take .00) and never follow your opponent through under power if you can not get there. 1320 racer is correct as .015 package will let you play some, but less than .010 package will let you play more. Having a good light consistently is critical and being able to count on very minimal variance is key. Norton racing has a good summary and probably has put down some tough packages to beat.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post