DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Blinders No Longer Allowed - INTERESTING
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blinders No Longer Allowed - INTERESTING
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted
NHRA RULE BOOK AMMENDMENT

SECTION 11A: STOCK CARS, BODY: 7,

WINDSHIED, WINDOWS (Page 11)
(1/18/23)

Temporary or permanent shielding, that obstructs the driver’s vision (e.g., blinders, staging aids) is
prohibited; Unaltered OEM sun visor mounted in OEM location permitted. See General Regulations 7:8.

HELMET - OPEN OR CLOSED FACE HELMETS
Taping or similar modifications to the helmet or helmet shield that reduces the driver’s field of vision prohibited.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stupid! Another case of the governing body listening to the whining of the vocal minority who can’t turn on a win light. The NHRA sure knows how to step on its dyck.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My FJ truck had some neat blinders mounted to roll bar that went up a down like a sun visor….l looks like this would work

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Beauty

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
My FJ truck had some neat blinders mounted to roll bar that went up a down like a sun visor….l looks like this would work

I had the same in the Firebird.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Stupid! Another case of the governing body listening to the whining of the vocal minority who can’t turn on a win light. The NHRA sure knows how to step on its dyck.

EXACTLY!!

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
But hey on a good note, NHRA did away with TD/TS minimum weight rule so we don't have to cross the scales anymore Big Grin . Also TS can run a screw blower if they choose to now. Both were stupid rules with 6.10 being the limiting factor

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t see the big deal and think the banning of tape or blocking on face shields is good. OEM sun visors are easily installed if wanted. This doesn’t stop one from holding their hand out in front of them to block the tree.

Posts: 2442 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think it is rather silly but can see why they did it. Some people have windshield almost completely covered with stickers to block the tree.

I thought it was already a rule they could not have anything blocking view on windshield and they were not enforcing it.

I agree with getting rid of having to weigh car in Top Dragster and allowing screw blowers. It is a Bracket race, who cares what it weighs? And screw blowers will allow them to make more power with less stress on rotating assembly so to me that is a good thing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3979 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I don’t see the big deal and think the banning of tape or blocking on face shields is good. OEM sun visors are easily installed if wanted. This doesn’t stop one from holding their hand out in front of them to block the tree.

It doesn’t matter to me since these rules only apply to Stock and Super Stock, but the faster cars with a full halo probably can’t use a factory sun visor.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^This^^^ Nor does it prevent from holding something in your hand to block the tree.

I don't currently use blinders & don't care about racers who chose to use them. I've experimented with different ways to blind the tree.

2BKING: If I chose to blind the tree, I'm sure I could win that way also. Consistent winners will figure out how to win by adapting to rules/conditions dealt to them. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

It doesn’t matter to me since these rules only apply to Stock and Super Stock, but the faster cars with a full halo probably can’t use a factory sun visor.

So bracket racers can still use blockers ?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4447 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Markemark - correct. stock bodied cars, basically door cars. I'd say Jason Cone's alterd is exempt

Posts: 2100 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I believe it applies to Stock (OEM Sun Visor permitted) but also references this is part of the General Regulations Section 21 Page 35 7:8 WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS which applies to all door cars.

7:8 WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS
Windshields and/or windows on all cars, when called for
under Class Requirements, must be of safety glass, Plexiglas,
Lexan, or other shatterproof material, minimum 1/8-inch thick.
Windshields may not be attached with self-locking fastener
buttons. In all Camping World Drag Racing Series and Lucas Oil
Drag Racing Series vehicles, windshields and/or windows must
be clear, without tinting or coloring, except factory-tinted safety
glass. In all other applications,
windshield/window tint must
meet the applicable state requirements. Windshield/window
must be in good condition and free from cracks. Competition
number decals are permitted
on any window, windshield or
backlite, except as noted in Class Requirements. Tape of
any kind prohibited on any windshield
or window. The use of
any temporary or permanent shielding, including paint, that
obstructs the driver’s vision (e.g., blinders, staging aids) and that
is attached to the helmet, window or windshield is prohibited.
Permitted shielding not to exceed 4 inches by 8 inches is
permitted at this time provided that (a) it has a permanent
attachment to the vehicle, such that it requires tools for removal,
and (b) that the shielding is deemed safe by the driver in the
driver’s judgment and so long as the driver can demonstrate
to technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification
is to reduce distraction in the driver’s field of vision. By using
such a shield, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the
driver deems such modification safe in the driver’s judgment
consistent with the driver’s obligations in Section 1, Participant
Agreements and Administrative and Procedural Rules, set forth
above, and that the shield does not impair or interfere with the
safe operation of the driver’s vehicle. Tape, tie straps, binder
clips, hook-and-loop fasteners, glue, etc. are prohibited for
attachment purposes. Vehicle-mounted shielding is allowed to
pivot as long as it remains permanently attached. See General
Regulations 10:7.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2442 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I believe what they are explaining in 7:8 WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS where they write....

“Permitted shielding not to exceed 4 inches by 8 inches is
and (b)” ………………. “Vehicle-mounted shielding is allowed to
pivot as long as it remains permanently attached.”

....is that you can have a non OEM type Visor Like shield 4”X 8” that pivots. To me this would be the equivalent of an OEM Sun Visor

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe what they are explaining in 7:8 WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS where they write....

“Permitted shielding not to exceed 4 inches by 8 inches is
and (b)” ………………. “Vehicle-mounted shielding is allowed to
pivot as long as it remains permanently attached.”

....is that you can have a non OEM type Visor Like shield 4”X 8” that pivots. To me this would be the equivalent of an OEM Sun Visor

That’s not how I interpret the amendment at all, specific to Stock and Super Stock. It specifically states that only the unaltered sun visor mounted in OEM location is permitted. The General Regulation that you quoted has not been amended.

SECTION 11A: STOCK CARS, BODY: 7, WINDSHIED, WINDOWS (Page 11)
(1/18/23)
All windows and windshields must be clear except for factory tinted safety glass, and be in good condition. Windows must be operative, but closed during competition. Factory back glass on a truck may be replaced with Plexiglas, Lexan, or other shatterproof material, minimum 1/8-inch thick, to permit the use of the back brace bars on a roll bar or roll cage. Temporary or permanent shielding, that obstructs the driver’s vision (e.g., blinders, staging aids) is prohibited; Unaltered OEM sun visor mounted in OEM location permitted.
See General Regulations 7:8.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Agreed. The OEM only visor applies to Stock/ Super Stock. But everything in General Regulations 7:8 applies as well to Stock / Super Stock.

In Super Pro / Pro/ Sportsman,

WINDSHIELD, WINDOWS
Altereds, dragsters: Optional. Windscreen mandatory. See
General Regulations 7:7, 7:8.
Stock-bodied vehicles: Mandatory, must be in good condition
and free from cracks. May be replaced with shatterproof
material, 1/8-inch-minimum thickness. OEM windshield may not
be cut for scoops, carb, etc. Windshield/window tint must meet
the applicable state requirements. Windows must be closed
Section 4A, page 7 Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman
during races, need not be operable. Decals permitted on rear
quarter and rear window only. See General Regulations 7:8.

Everything in General Regulations 7:8 applies.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
This NHRA posted this update on Racer.com

NHRA tech department clarifies recent rule change for blinders in Stock and Super Stock
Jan. 20, 2023

The purpose of the rule change was due to incidents that have occurred in the pits, to reduce these incidents/concerns we were asked to prohibit the use of blinders in classes where we have experienced incidents in the pits due to the use of blinders. Discovery of blinders/staging aids could be cause for disqualification of run, regardless of whether infraction occurs during qualifying or eliminations; at the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
This NHRA posted this update on Racer.com

NHRA tech department clarifies recent rule change for blinders in Stock and Super Stock
Jan. 20, 2023

The purpose of the rule change was due to incidents that have occurred in the pits, to reduce these incidents/concerns we were asked to prohibit the use of blinders in classes where we have experienced incidents in the pits due to the use of blinders. Discovery of blinders/staging aids could be cause for disqualification of run, regardless of whether infraction occurs during qualifying or eliminations; at the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

That can't be right according to the 2nd post!

quote:

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post