Find
Notify
Tools

TRE
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted
I've been looking at getting an all aluminum 20 degree 632 engine built. I've talked to a few builders and TRE is about the only one that will take my old one in trade. I've read some really good and some really bad stuff about them but most seems to be from several years ago. Just wondering opinions from first hand experience and if they have gotten their stuff together.
Thanks for any insight.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I never heard of an engine builder taking a motor in on trade and would be Leary of one who did just because it doesn’t sound good to me. I don’t trade cars in anymore because they beat you up on price for trade in. I sell them outright for atleast twice of what they offer me.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never heard of an engine builder taking a motor in on trade...

Check out Steve Schmidt's website, he's been doing it for years (few others offer a warranty either). That said, I'm sure he's pretty picky what he offers his clients used. Many are his own coming in on trade.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2331 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
I never heard of an engine builder taking a motor in on trade and would be Leary of one who did just because it doesn’t sound good to me. I don’t trade cars in anymore because they beat you up on price for trade in. I sell them outright for atleast twice of what they offer me.

They are a little cheaper on the new engine and willing to give 12k for mine on trade which is what I was trying to get out of it. Almost one of those sounds too good so is it deals.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
I never heard of an engine builder taking a motor in on trade...

Check out Steve Schmidt's website, he's been doing it for years (few others offer a warranty either). That said, I'm sure he's pretty picky what he offers his clients used. Many are his own coming in on trade.

I talked to them and they are willing to take mine as well but they are quite a bit higher on price for the new one. The biggest issue is time frame to get it done. TRE and PAR say they stock the parts so can get it built in 3-4 weeks. Others are 6-8 weeks waiting for a block.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
I've done a lot of business with Taylor over the years...go for it

I'd feel better about giving him my money than Schmidt, and both have received plenty of my money over the years.

Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Scott Duggins at PAR race engines takes trades. Honest and most power for the $.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
Scott Duggins at PAR race engines takes trades. Honest and most power for the $.

ep

I just talked to him and he said he would take it in but only give 9k. That won't work.

DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
quote:
TRE say they stock the parts so can get it built in 3-4 weeks

had one dealing with them, took 2 months on top of the 6-8 weeks that was promised after he received our parts.
Got the "it'll ship this week" for at least 8 straight weeks.
offered to have some friends pick the stuff up in person, finally got my stuff returned and what was promised.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:
quote:
TRE say they stock the parts so can get it built in 3-4 weeks

had one dealing with them, took 2 months on top of the 6-8 weeks that was promised after he received our parts.
Got the "it'll ship this week" for at least 8 straight weeks.
offered to have some friends pick the stuff up in person, finally got my stuff returned and what was promised.

Did you just buy parts or have him build an engine or do some other work?
Thanks for the reply

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies, keep them coming.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ok I've talked to several people and just can't make myself deal with TRE being that far away. Its looking like Andy Beal or Chris Wilson will be the choice. Chris says 632 with 380x heads 2.350 int 1.88 exh valves. He says the 380x likes alky better than 395mc. Andy wants to use the 395mc 2.40 int 1.85 exh valves. I'm struggling to think the smaller valves and lower flow heads are the way to go but he is really convincing that it will work better.
Any thoughts on builder or head choice?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Chris Wilson is the man. I couldn't be happier with what he has done for me. Great work, Great power, and none of that compares to the customer service. He has some big names running the BB3 stuff on alky running good numbers and winning big races. If you get an engine from him, it'll do what he says it'll do. I highly recommend Wilson....

Posts: 46 | Location: stonypoint,nc | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
^^^^ditto

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
You should really give Oakley a shot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Might want to give Oakley Motorsports a call as mentioned. Excellent customer service along with performance desired with build. Hear of more people bringing him work vs taking work to the others out there. Just food for thought.

Posts: 12 | Location: Twister City, OH / Athens, GA / Brownsburg, IN | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sully3358
posted Hide Post
The guys at Oakley are killing it. I saw a 4.39 first hit on one of their new 632 conv head engines last weekend.

Posts: 183 | Location: IL | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I talked to Oakley, they are big on the 375x profiler heads. Sounds like Aluminum blocks are roughly 8 weeks out so may be too late for this season.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You might wait a little, but how long will you wait if your other choice ends up not working out. With Oakley you know your going to have the best out there .... period.

Choice is yours at the end of the day. Understand both sides of the equation.

Posts: 12 | Location: Twister City, OH / Athens, GA / Brownsburg, IN | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Oakley again and they say they can do the 20 degree but he says the 375X is their best combo for fast bracket on alcohol. Said he ran a 4.36 with the same engine this weekend in his dragster but on gas.
The wait is not just Oakley its Brodix and getting a block to build it.
Thanks for all the responses.