DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Anyone Rock'n down that nasty highway with a Gearvenders Overdrive?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Rock'n down that nasty highway with a Gearvenders Overdrive?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I'm getting the essential pieces together to do one on the Tire Fryer BBC Chevelle.

Wide open switch for the T400 electric kickdown passing gear, Urethane transmission mount for the additional weight of the overdrive unit aft the transmission crossmember, B&M governor re-calibration kit for exact preferred rpm down & up shifts, T400 deep cast pan for additional oil & to act as a girdle for the rigidity of factory T400 case.

I did the math, in overdrive the Chevelle will cruise 3,000 rpm's at 78 mph with the converter slipping 17%. Top speed 180 plus mph at 6,300 rpm's (engine red line) converter slipping 10%.

We thought about a Tremec 5 speed with a clutch, but this is a factory automatic car, so we went this route.

I just did a Comp Cams 11-450-8 Hydraulic roller camshaft, 9:5.1 pistons, Eddie RPM intake, Edelbrock Performer 100cc heads, QF 850 duel feed double pump carb, crane gold rockers in conjunction with a Transmission Specialties XLS XHD 1000 9" 2800 stall converter. It turned better than expected power wise, the overdrive is to preserve the existing performance by lowering the cruise rpm's on the highway.

I might do a install video, these Gearvenders are pretty bad azz, strong enough to support 2,000hp.

I have a new respect for driving these old BBC muscle cars on the street, they drink the gasoline but they're a lot of fun to drive around. I get it after driving this one.

Gearvenders overdrive makes the T400 a six speed transmission.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one in my 68 Camaro behind a TH400 and a 4.56 gear. Been in there since 2001, came out of an old F450 tow truck from a junkyard. Sent to GV to get check and new adapters for it and been working flawlessly ever since. No complaints other than you definitely know when it kicks in. I have driven in both in auto and manual modes.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
I have one in my 68 Camaro behind a TH400 and a 4.56 gear. Been in there since 2001, came out of an old F450 tow truck from a junkyard. Sent to GV to get check and new adapters for it and been working flawlessly ever since. No complaints other than you definitely know when it kicks in. I have driven in both in auto and manual modes.

I'll bet that was a pleasant surprise to find one like that, save a few bucks. Looking at it's operation, I kinda figured it maybe a little harsh, so I upgraded to a cast pan with added oil capacity and to add rigidity to the case, so it's interesting you mention this. This Chevelle was bought out of Canada sight unseen so we don't know who did the T400 in it, but it's a good one, whoever did it definitely knew what they were doing. So we definitely wanna preserve it as well, the best we can. I'm looking foward to getting this thing in my hands so I can check it out for this car. It's a super nice BBC Chevelle SS, if I can get this thing dial'd with the kickdown passing gear and governor re-calibration shift rpm, it'll be a real joyride at the rip of the throttle any gear, from any rpm. I'm really looking forward to it. Cool street car, decent BBC pump gas streetable power.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mike, for info too-
Rick with the DMax 70 chevelle has one in his, driven across country towing a trailer, won the race x2 and driven home. By the way , north of 1000 foot lbs , mid nines sec 3900# car..

Al’s car is fast! He said it’s good, it’s good!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Mike, for info too-
Rick with the DMax 70 chevelle has one in his, driven across country towing a trailer, won the race x2 and driven home. By the way , north of 1000 foot lbs , mid nines sec 3900# car..

Al’s car is fast! He said it’s good, it’s good!

The Chevelle isn't fast relatively speaking, but it's a helluva drift car, will lay down black tracks. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sir, I have no idea what Chevelle it is you're speaking of.

I was talking about the Chevelle in question, the one getting the Gearvenders overdrive.

Relative to any race car you're speaking of, this Chevelle isn't fast. It's a mint condition 50k 71 BBC Chevelle SS tire fryer w/17" 245 dot harder than woodpekker lips radial tires. It'll never be a race car. Smile

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
Sir, I have no idea what Chevelle it is you're speaking of.

I was talking about the Chevelle in question, the one getting the Gearvenders overdrive.

Relative to any race car you're speaking of, this Chevelle isn't fast. It's a mint condition 50k 71 BBC Chevelle SS tire fryer w/17" 245 dot harder than woodpekker lips radial tires. It'll never be a race car. Smile

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="392" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oTDkykSrpcI" width="697">[/FLASH_VIDEO][/QUOTE

My apologies Mike. I thought you WRE referring to the Chevelle I had mentioned..

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They actually way back when could be found on alot of tow truck, ambulances etc that were based on the Ford F450/550 platform. Even some motorhome chassis had them. Why we went out looking found this one the first day we were out for $500. Cost another grand to get the correct adapters for it from GV and had to send them the old ones. Mine also has the deep cast pan. Heck they used to be on ebay on occasion as well before the whole dragweek thing got crazy popular.

I don't drive the Camaro really at all anymore but back when it was first done we used to drive it all around. It also has AC, full steel car with all the factory glass. Used to drive it to the track on Friday night on the best 87 octane we could by run 9.70's and drive it home, runs ok for a 3600lb turd Dana 60 and all. Used to be alot of fun kinda drag weeky before it was a thing.

As for the Chevelle Barry is referring to it runs S/ST in D7 and he tows his camper to the track with it. Hes raced it all over the country and driven it to Florida and back. To say its unique is an understatement!

https://www.dragzine.com/featu...ax-powered-chevelle/

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
They actually way back when could be found on alot of tow truck, ambulances etc that were based on the Ford F450/550 platform. Even some motorhome chassis had them. Why we went out looking found this one the first day we were out for $500. Cost another grand to get the correct adapters for it from GV and had to send them the old ones. Mine also has the deep cast pan. Heck they used to be on ebay on occasion as well before the whole dragweek thing got crazy popular.

I don't drive the Camaro really at all anymore but back when it was first done we used to drive it all around. It also has AC, full steel car with all the factory glass. Used to drive it to the track on Friday night on the best 87 octane we could by run 9.70's and drive it home, runs ok for a 3600lb turd Dana 60 and all. Used to be alot of fun kinda drag weeky before it was a thing.

As for the Chevelle Barry is referring to it runs S/ST in D7 and he tows his camper to the track with it. Hes raced it all over the country and driven it to Florida and back. To say its unique is an understatement!

https://www.dragzine.com/featu...ax-powered-chevelle/

That's cool, a history of Gearvenders I was unaware. I could've used this info early 2000's, I had a white 1969 1 ton GMC ramp track I started out racing off, I restored. It could've used a Gearvender. Loved that truck we called it the zombie. 58 mph 3,000 rpm's T400 transmission 4.88 gear.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,