DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    My five year (or less) plan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My five year (or less) plan
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Well, I think I have things almost in place. I'm going to spend the rest of this year finishing up the deals on the florida house, the house here I'm buying, and getting settled for a bit. Then, starting in January, I'll begin my countdown. Once the house deals get done, I'll be debt free except for my mortgage within about 30 days or so of closing on the house. I'll have a nice little stash in the bank, and I'll be able to build on that pretty quickly as well. I'm hoping that in about 3-5 years, I'll be able to sell the place here, and get a place back in Alaska, paid for in cash. Been keeping track of property values here and in Alaska, and if I play my cards right, I'll have enough to buy my place there outright....so at that point I'll have property taxes once a year and utilities, plus misc living costs. Those are accounted for, plus a little extra to race, and I'll be able to say, finally, I'm retired. Wasn't easy, and still have a little bit to go, but it's nice to see light at the end of the tunnel again! Just need to tighten my belt a bit and get through the next few years. Still gonna go ride my quad in the mountains and race, but primary focus will be on watching the housing market there and pulling the trigger when the time is right and I find the right place......I wish I could do it now, but not quite there yet!! It's actually pretty exciting knowing that in just a few more years I'll be able to finally relax and enjoy life the way I want to enjoy it!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
setting goals is always a good thing to work towards but with so much of your plan, most plans out of our control, it's likely to not go exactly as well we plan.

That said, I believe 2021 will be a bad year for our country, for the economy, for business, for employment, etc. How bad depends on the election in 43 days.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with you on that one Ed, and we won't know until we know....that's the crappy part.... I'm just going to keep pushing forward and hopefully, with a little luck and some good fortune, things will work out. The good thing, if you want to call it that, is that we've been through bad stuff before economically, and recovered....I don't want to stretch things out, but I'll do what I need to if it comes down to it....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very well said by both

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...we've been through bad stuff before economically, and recovered....

You will see a new high-water-mark on "bad stuff economically". We have more debt that we can pay back, we're past the point of no return. NEVER in history has a fiat currency not failed, and we have a world full of it and the printing pressing are running 24/7. I'm pretty much in the position you are striving for, but have much trepidation going forward. I wish you luck!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Colorado, if you put the RM shear plate spacer on I feel sure your plan can come together in 37 days.

ep-too cold in Alaska

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
North woods. Too cold for this ole boy. I have to say ARP @ about 63 feet ASL. Great air...Cost of living high there?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
setting goals is always a good thing to work towards but with so much of your plan, most plans out of our control, it's likely to not go exactly as well we plan.

That said, I believe 2021 will be a bad year for our country, for the economy, for business, for employment, etc. How bad depends on the election in 43 days.

Agreed. Also would add, never has there been an artificial recession, caused by political force.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Good luck with your plan. Hope to see you get to race more. I would not live in Alaska or probably even in Colorado if you gave it to me. I'm way too cold natured.

Just got back from the Ennis double, managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Charlotte Hefler in the first race and Chris Eidson did a great job of feeding me the stripe in the second race. We'll be back in October to try it all again.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
Colorado, if you put the RM shear plate spacer on I feel sure your plan can come together in 37 days.

ep-too cold in Alaska

Yes and also a triple plated chrome steel bumper may help as well....

No F'en way I'm moving to Alaska.....

NJ winters are not bad compared to Alaska and we ain't got no bears or other creatures lookin to kill me.....

Even if 2021 is the start of Civil War 2.0....I got guns and ammo....and I'm stayin put....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Colorado, I hope your plan works exactly as desired! I just turned 40, good wife with a job, have a little boy that is two. We are currently refinancing our home from 4.1 to 2% to take advantage of the market rates. We haven't made any major purchases, make good money, and believe like Ed and others have said, kinda worried about next year. But hopeful.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I announced my plan when I was 40---"I will be done at 60". The plan was to accumulate as much as I could and be debt free. Next April will be 20 years since I walked away debt free. About the only thing that changed is I sold the big farm I thought I wanted (to much work)and I moved from MD to NC. I have zero debt and enough that I don't concern myself with the markets shananigans. But I sure as he!! pay plenty in taxes and insurance.....Been racing when I want and travelling the US....Life is good

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'll get the new shear plate and triple chrome plated bumper with air dam ordered soon...didn't even think about that stuff, should be able to retire with that in about a week!!!

I'm looking forward to it. Honestly, I hope my plan works but it's kinda fluid at the same time. Has to be, since there's a lot of unknowns happening in the near future...but I'm going to stick to the framework for sure....

As to racing, I officially parked the car after my last race at Immokalee. Not for good, just for the season. Getting moved and settled is way more important, and that's taking a lot of my energy and money right now. If all works out, and it appears to be doing so, I'll have just a tic under 12 acres of mountain property about 30 miles out of town, and a decent house. Needs some updates and I'll need to build a shop (the one thing I do miss from florida!!), but not worried....I'll be here for a bit, and even during the last recession, property values in the mountains kept climbing....
I'll make out decently when I sell it. Not gonna make a mint, but will get enough to do what I need to do.

I'm just anxious to be debt free again. Soon...it was nice while it lasted, just stuff happened and had to be dealt with.

So for now, it's just hunker down and do what I gotta do...the end is in sight, just need to hang on a little while longer.

Mark Goulette