DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Anyone extend wifi wirelessly to shop?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone extend wifi wirelessly to shop?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
No easy way to run wire from house to shop. But I do have line of sight. Anyone know anything about wireless extenders?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the house and shop are on the same electric meter, TP-Link makes some network extenders that use the power lines. Some of them have built-in WiFi for the remote end as well.

For running a few devices they work fairly well. I have used them on a few different installs with good results.

There are several options for extending a network using Wireless. What you are after are what is called a Bridge. A true bridge will only provide the link between the buildings, not WiFi access on the remote end. Once you get to the other end at the shop you will need an access point for WiFi there.

Both TP-Link and Ubiquiti make some fairly inexpensive devices for just this purpose.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
i have a couple of these with a router in the shop. they work great but a bit of a overkill on the power it puts out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have a panel system., Point to point. from
RadioLabs. Earlier panel system. From the house to the shop. 1/4 mile away. Mine can go up to 3.5 miles.2.4 GHz. I can remote in from either panel and check log files/desktop and cameras.

https://www.radiolabs.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We let our neighbors use our WiFi. Not sure if that helps. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Ha ha !! Perfect, Tom !!

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of speedwrench44
posted Hide Post
Shop 100' from house. Netgear AC 1200 Range Extender in window with cheap Yagi antenna outside on end of shop facing house. Wifi little slower than PC but not noticeable

Dave

Posts: 260 | Location: Heldnfelt, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I've tried with range extenders a couple of times and never had much better range than the router itself. Basically I wasted my money. I've considered running a cable. My shop is barely within range.

If someone has a good solution that works, I'm interested as well.

I'd recommend not buying a range extender that someone else hasn't tested first. I wasted my money twice.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
My shop is about 50' from the house. We use an Eero system. Works good. Can live steam on the big screen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
My shop is about 50' from the house. We use an Eero system. Works good. Can live steam on the big screen.

Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/eero-Ho...a-405804228441&psc=1

I'm probably 150' or so. Maybe 200'

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
I have a panel system., Point to point. from
RadioLabs. Earlier panel system. From the house to the shop. 1/4 mile away. Mine can go up to 3.5 miles.2.4 GHz. I can remote in from either panel and check log files/desktop and cameras.

https://www.radiolabs.com/

Wow!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
If the house and shop are on the same electric meter, TP-Link makes some network extenders that use the power lines. Some of them have built-in WiFi for the remote end as well.

For running a few devices they work fairly well. I have used them on a few different installs with good results.

There are several options for extending a network using Wireless. What you are after are what is called a Bridge. A true bridge will only provide the link between the buildings, not WiFi access on the remote end. Once you get to the other end at the shop you will need an access point for WiFi there.

Both TP-Link and Ubiquiti make some fairly inexpensive devices for just this purpose.

Like this?:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link...C218&sr=1-18-catcorr

It almost seems too good to be true.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

Like this?:

That's the one. Have been using the older 100 MB ones for several years.

Just plug into one of your routers Ethernet ports in the house and plug the remote end into an outlet out in the shop. You will need to log into the devices web page to set it up. I don't always trust that the automatic pairing to your router will work, but it is such and easy setup you won't have any problems.

You can configure the WiFi out in the shop to be the same as the one in the house or make it it's own WiFi network with a different name and password.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like this?:

Just plug into one of your routers Ethernet ports in the house and plug the remote end into an outlet out in the shop. You will need to log into the devices web page to set it up. I don't always trust that the automatic pairing to your router will work, but it is such and easy setup you won't have any problems.

You can configure the WiFi out in the shop to be the same as the one in the house or make it it's own WiFi network with a different name and password.

I’m gonna try this first since it is easy snd cheap

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
]

Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/eero-Ho...a-405804228441&psc=1

I'm probably 150' or so. Maybe 200'

Yes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like this?:

Well it works like a charm in the house. Move the receiver to the shop and the internet signal isn't getting there.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I tried the same thing. Didn't work for me either.

I ran a cable around the house as my router is in a back room and then out to the shop right at 100" total. Put a router in the shop so I have wifi in and outside the shop.

But I have a buddy (Joe sr4440) who's my go to geek when I need anything IT related as he works with this kind of stuff. All I can do is screw it up and then call him to figure it out..lol I like to present a challenge.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well it works like a charm in the house. Move the receiver to the shop and the internet signal isn't getting there.

Just double checking some things here.
200 feet should not too far of a distance to keep these from not being able to connect to each other.

Did you plug an Ethernet cable into your router from the inside unit?

Does the electrical panel in the shop gets it's feed from the house panel?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just double checking some things here.
200 feet should not too far of a distance to keep these from not being able to connect to each other.

Did you plug an Ethernet cable into your router from the inside unit?

Does the electrical panel in the shop gets it's feed from the house panel?

Yes and actually had it working at house, sending wifi internet signal out.

The house and shop both come from the same meter, but house does not feed shop. Meter is hung on shop which was built first.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
Yes and actually had it working at house, sending wifi internet signal out.

The house and shop both come from the same meter, but house does not feed shop. Meter is hung on shop which was built first.

Ok, got it. What I would try next is a different outlet on another circuit, in case there is something blocking the signal. What it might take is to find an outlet on both ends that is on the same side of the 110 volt buss bars in the panels.