New
Find
Notify
Tools

RACE CAR TITLE??
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I've been working on selling my 69 Camaro Tube Chassis car and have been asked a lot about a title, heck I had a deal and he was on his way with a deposit before he asked and said deal was off with no title. anyone have the title to their tube chassis car?? Thought that was weird for a tube chassis car, understand if it was stock frame rails, but only thing stock is roof and fenders (shell)

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
Most chassis builders attach a numbered tag on it, and I just write a bill of sale, never a street car so no way it could have a title

Posts: 47 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
In California, you can get a "Special Construction" title for off road vehicles. Have a VIN assigned by the CHP and you get a title and off-road license from DMV. Don't know if that's an option where you are.

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
If I'm purchasing a 69 Camaro, I want a title. If I'm purchasing a tube chassis racecar with a roof and quarters from a 69 Camaro, bill of sale would be enough. (Chassis tag would be nice but older builds usually don't have them)

It really depends on how you advertise it. If they walk away, let them.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My Don Ness Pro Stock Camaro had a number. It is like 2 letters, then year of car, then the number it is from them---but there isn't any Camaro Vin #. That boy bailed for some other reason I think

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Did you build it? I would be worried about a VIN# somewhere that you don't know about. If it was built from a stolen car that would be bad news. We get the same issues with home built trailers here. We can get the proper paperwork so we can title/sell them though.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've seen plenty of tube chassis and stock suspension cars sell with no title. I think a lot of it is the street outlaw stuff now. I sold a car recently with no title but many that called wanted to know if it had a VIN so they could apply for a title. Don't ask me.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Did you build it? I would be worried about a VIN# somewhere that you don't know about. If it was built from a stolen car that would be bad news. We get the same issues with home built trailers here. We can get the proper paperwork so we can title/sell them though.

If the car has a VIN# (tag on the dash or stamped on a body panel) on it. You better be able to prove to where the parts came from to law enforcement when they ask for it.

I got asked for a proof of ownership for the Corvette at the border coming back from Canada. Good thing I kept the copy of the title in the trailer

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy lose his hood in the staging lanes at RP one night. He had bought it used, no idea it was stolen. It was unique enough that when the owner saw it they had a little "discussion". They went back to the pits and took the hood off and apologized.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I KNOW THE CHASSIS BUILDER PERSONALLY, I PURCHASED FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER WHO HAD IT BUILT. CALLED AND ASKED HIM AND HE SAID HE BOUGHT IT AS A SHELL WHEN HE DID IT AROUND 1987. JUST THOUGHT IT WAS ODD THAT IT STOPPED THE SALE ON A TUBE CHASSIS CAR AND MENTIONED THAT A NOTORIZED BILL OF SALE ON A RACE CAR IS LEGAL OWNERSHIP. SEVERAL OTHER HAVE ASKED FOR TITLE ALSO. A BUNCH OF FRIENDS HAVE SAID ITS CUZ THE STREET OUTLAWS BS.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ocoee | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Lot of guys out there want a tube chassis Pro Street Car.

No title not streetable.

Cal SST 1177

Posts: 46 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: November 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have built 2 tube chassis cars both where bought as scrapper from someone who had started a project they could or just didn't finish. Never had title to either and bill of sale was always good enough when selling them. Same as dragster IMO.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I do not know rule or laws in other states. I know in NC you can get title to car that does not have one.Its huge PIA,but can be done.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer8309:
A NOTARIZED BILL OF SALE ON A RACE CAR IS LEGAL OWNERSHIP. SEVERAL OTHER HAVE ASKED FOR TITLE ALSO. A BUNCH OF FRIENDS HAVE SAID ITS CUZ THE STREET OUTLAWS BS.

Exactly.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
If the car is very old many states won't let you title. If old car on street the DMV will check Vin and bill of sale then issue you the tag and registration. keep in glove box. If selling to most title states they will issue one with all current paper work and tag.If it is newer car with no vin. Run Forest Big Grin Eek

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post